Updating to Vortex 0.15.1

HylianSteel

Hey Tannin, I just updated to 0.15.2 from 0.15.1 (installation through Vortex itself) and it failed to install Vortex.exe again. I'm gonna grab the installer from github and see what happens.

Edit: Aha! Caught the error i had last time when trying to install through the installer on github. https://i.imgur.com/bD3a4Re.png.

clicking retry fails as i assumed it would. clicking ignore emptied the whole Black Tree Gaming Ltd folder out just as it did last time.

running the installer a second time works perfectly fine though just like last time.

missing the 0.15.2 exe too, grabbing it from github too

When the installer tells you that it can't open a file for writing and you click "abort" or "ignore" then the installation will have failed, I think that much should

obvious.

The installer isn't failing to write a file because it's just a bit stupid or has a bad day, there is a reason why the installer can't create that file, something that is

specific to your system (because the installer works for most users) and temporary (because rerunning the installer works).

It could be a permission thing (yes, even an admin account can run into those) but more likely a file is still open by another process. That could be an AV, a virus or,

most likely, Vortex didn't down correctly yet.

I'm saying "yet" because apparently rerunning the installer works for you so if it is Vortex still running and you didn't say to killed it in the task manager, it probably

ended by itself at some point.

So please, next time you close Vortex, check in a task manager if Vortex hangs around for a while and then check out the log if there is maybe an indication why.

Just to clarify: There is no difference between the auto update and the installer on github. The auto updater loads that exact file from github, starts the installer and

then (immediately) closes Vortex. Therefore abort the installer downloading from github and rerunning the installer fixes nothing, it probably just wastes enough time so

that the problem gets resolved.

I've got doubts that it's Windows Defender or Malwarebytes since I've got Black Tree Gaming Ltd and my mods directories excluded from both of them.

It could very well be the Spectre and Meltdown mitigation's causing the problems for all i know.

I'll monitor vortex for a bit and see what's happening hopefully. I agree in that something is holding it up.

This really only has happened because I updated vortex through the app first.

So, If the updater inside vortex itself isn't giving Vortex enough time to properly shut down (thanks to vortex itself or something else), shouldn't there be a way to make it so that the installer

pauses for a couple seconds before starting? some checks to see that vortex is actually completely shut down first?

Edit: nothing major or anything yet. I only noticed that vortex itself still has processes going for about 5 or so seconds after closing it down. gonna keep looking.

I've got Process Monitor up and running and set some filters to see what's happening when I run Vortex (checking for and updating mods, enabling and disabling mods, game searches, etc.) and close it.

I waited a couple minutes to see what happens.

For the heck of it, I tried rolling back to 0.15.1 with the installer from github. The install error happened again. this time, without updating through vortex or anything.

I've got a log and screenshot for you to check out then. you're probably better at diagnosing this than i am.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3aeye1jhpy9psc/vortex%20issues.7z?dl=0

Edit: Clicking abort leaves the installer in such a state that it'll never finish or close on its own.

Great investigation. So it seems that I was right that some files of the previous installation are still locked and thus can't be overwritten, but it doesn't seem to be vortex itself that keeps them open.

Could you do me a favour: Try the installer again.

When you reach the point where the error message appears, check your task manager if the process "old-uninstaller.exe" is still running. Wait a bit to see if it disappears eventually. Also, check in explorer if the vortex directory is empty at this point.

Now if the old-uninstaller was still around but closes eventually, try the retry button.

If it doesn't close on its own, try if you can terminate the old-uninstaller process and retry then.

If old-uninstaller is not around anymore and the vortex directory isn't empty while the error message is displayed (probably at least "Uninstall Vortex.exe" is still there), would you be willing to use this tool: http://lockhunter.com/

to figure out which process has the file locked?

This is rather strange. I've redone this a couple times to successfully cause the error, but old-uninstaller.exe is only in task manager for a fraction of a second.

During that time, almost instantly, the vortex directory is emptied and the setup error pops up.

Not once has UninstallVortex.exe been present during the error so I've had no luck so far in even using lockhunter on it.

Edit: another side note unrelated to what we've discussed. Process Monitor is claiming that

"C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\Vortex.exe" "C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\resources\app.asar.unpacked\bundledPlugins\gamebryo-plugin-management\async.js"

is causing a Buffer Overflow when vortex is launched. I don't know if that matters to you, but i think it's worth mentioning just in case.

Edit 2: my last edit probably doesn't mean anything. reinstalling vortex again and running Process Monitor now claims that "C:\Program Files\Black Tree Gaming Ltd\Vortex\Vortex.exe" itself is causing a buffer overflow.

Edit 3: It actually seems that a fresh launch of Vortex causes vortex.exe to be listed as the source of a buffer overflow. switching games after that launch (Skyrim SE to Fallout 4 or the reverse) causes async.js to show as the source of the buffer overflow.

- I open up Vortex, it says it has an update ( BETA )

- I update clicking the update in the notice bar

- Vortex closes.

- Vortex updates.

- vortex.exe lost

- Go to github to get vortex.exe

- use .exe, all is good

Happens in 0.15.1 and 0.15.2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Win 10 64bit

Vortex installed in D: drive ( where steam is located too )

Mods and Archive from Vortex also installed on D: drive

a ( legal before you ask ) copy of Bitdefender, ever since Vortex came out some months ago. At my end that hasn't changed , Vortex did change though ...