Online Fallout: 76

Moksha8088

https://kotaku.com/bethesda-announces-fallout-76-1826417383

vqtxfmysfzrb7otbgbwi.png

If this is true then we need to treasure the 2015 Fallout 4 for a long period of time. It might be time to consider a United Modders Studio made up of experienced quest and advanced companion authors known for their ability to crank out large masterful mods. Then we need to buy the mods they produce.

Otherwise, we will be at the mercy of whatever seems to produce the highest revenue for gaming studios at the time. I suspect that means the days of Fallout and the Elder Scrolls as we know them is gone. We need to stretch out the Golden Age with more quest mods.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't care. I never play online games. And what has taking the franchise online to do with mods for FO4 or the Elder Scrolls series? Personally, I think that off-line games will still get developed in both series.

Jimmy, the Elder Scrolls online has not appeared in single player, and that is the only case of Bethesda making such an online game. Oline games present the change to have continuous revenue through microtransactions.

Makes sense for Fallout 4. Everyone would want to pay extra for the nifty Boobs on Molerats skins.

If you looked at the endless spam of vapid memes and emojis on the Twitch comment stream last night, those are the kind of people you are going to be playing with in Fallout 76.

Bunnyhopping around the wasteland, spamming chat with 'dank' memes, tbagging every skeleton, trying to out troll each other. That's the new exciting gameplay awaiting future Fallout 76 players.

I simply can't wait. /s

Edited by Roentgens

Jimmy, the Elder Scrolls online has not appeared in single player, and that is the only case of Bethesda making such an online game. Oline games present the change to have continuous revenue through microtransactions.

Makes sense for Fallout 4. Everyone would want to pay extra for the nifty Boobs on Molerats skins.

Sure Moksha, but there's lots of on-line games that have never been developedas stand-alone. I see the two as separate entities. A lot of folk playing single-player games often try their hand at on-line variations, true, but I can't see how a developer would stop making stand-alone games in favour of on-line stuff, especially a developer like Bethesda who's stand-alones are as popular as The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series.

I wouldn't be surprised either if the Vault 76 content made its way to single player off-line in some form or other.

In the end it's all about content, for both stand-alones and on-line games. If the content isn't appealing, then gamer interest will fade like snow in the tropics regardless of where and how the game is released.

I have absolutely zero interest in an online Fallout. If the game is anything close to what the leaks are saying, I won't be buying it.

Hey, Bethesda, how about making a Fallout game? Not a shooter. Not an online game. A real Fallout game. I'll buy that. You aren't going to get any of my money with another FO4 style shooter and you definitely aren't getting my money with anything online.

I don't think Bethesda actually understands what Fallout is any more, or at least what is used to be. Give the game to Obsidian. They understood what Fallout was. Bethesda doesn't seem to have a freaking clue.

...()...I don't think Bethesda actually understands what Fallout is any more...()

Most people fail to understand that the game is what Bethesda makes of it. Things change. It's called progress. Not always good progress in the eyes of the world, but still, progress. You sound like a fan of a band that doesn't like the course their music took on their latest album and cry havoc for them not making the music you like.

I'm a fan of single player RPGs. FO1 was a single player RPG. FO2 was a single player RPG. FO3 was a single player RPG. FNV was a single player RPG. FO4 was a shooter.

FO4 wasn't progress. Progress is when you take what came before and make it better. Instead, they tossed out everything that came before and replaced it with a brain-dead shooter. They didn't make it better. They made it different. FO4 lacks the humor of the Fallout series. FO4 lacks the interesting quests of the Fallout series. FO4 lacks the depth of the Fallout series. If you take out everything good, that's not progress.

That doesn't mean that FO4 is a bad game, but it's not Fallout. Not really.

From what I've seen of the leaks, Vault 76 is just a rust clone. That's not making Fallout better either. That's just taking Rust and slapping a Vault-Tec uniform on it. If I wanted to play Rust, I would play Rust. I don't want to play Rust. I want to play Fallout.

After the backlash from long-term fans like me over FO4 and its change from an RPG to a shooter, I was really hoping that Bethesda would return Fallout to its roots so that they could recapture the existing fans like me who are just about fed up with the series at this point. Instead, it looks like Bethesda went off in a different direction entirely.

This is what makes me think that Bethesda doesn't have a clue what Fallout was all about. They aren't even making games of the same genre.

If you took Sonic the Hedgehog and slapped a Vault-Tec uniform on him and had him collect caps instead of rings, nobody would say that was a true Fallout game. They would say it's a Sonic game. FO4 was a shooter, and Vault 76 looks like Rust with a Vault-Tec uniform slapped on it. They might be fun games for some, but they aren't Fallout.

To take your band analogy, while it is certainly true that bands need to grow to survive, we're not talking about growth here. We're talking more about something like the Beatles suddenly ditching John and Paul and replacing them with Taylor Swift and having them all start playing country music. Some folks might actually like that, but if you are a hard core Beatles fan, it's not going to be what you want to hear. It's not progress. It's change.