high-tech/institute version of Robot workbench?

JonarusDrakus

Short version - How has nobody done this yet? There are mods for Institute versions of 'normal' workbenches - there is a mod to craft gen1/2 synths at existing robot workbenches... Why not combine the two and have a high-tech skinned version of the robo-crafting station that looks like it belong in the Institutes 'robotics' department?

Now, I'm a student of 3D art myself, I *could* make this myself - the question is, what programs would I need outside of those I already have?
I have 3DsMax (2017), and the Adobe 'creative cloud' (including photoshop).

Anyway, let us see where we can take this hmm?

~JD

I agree, and was just thinking of this the other day as I was making an Institute version of Greygarden.

I think all you need beyond what you have is the .nif plugin for 3ds Max and a .dds plugin for Photoshop, then Nifskope and the Material editor.

I use Blender and GIMP, so I'm not 100% positive on those, but my impression is that the 3ds plugin exports a good enough .nif that you can clean it up in Nifskope and it will work.

Phai jkruse05! Love your 'electrolasers' mod BTW.

My suggestions for 3DsMax/photoshop are based primarily on a 'thats what I'm trained on' mentality... I -have- blender, but I've never figured out how to actually USE it... ^^;

I guess the only remaining question is... Do I try to build something from scratch, or 'kitbash' existing in-game items... Hmm... (For the later I'm pretty sure I'd need some other program to 'extract' the required parts from the game-files... or can Nifskope handle that?).

~JD

Building from scratch will probably look better, but kitbashing from existing Institute parts will save you at least part of the effort of making textures.

Nifskope will let you convert vanilla models to .obj, just in case importing a standard .nif doesn't work. To extract them from the compressed files you'll need the Bethesda Archive Extractor.

Making replacement models or static props is pretty much the best way to familiarize yourself with the process of getting custom meshes into Fallout 4, even if it's something kinda large.

What you'll want to do is extract the vanilla robot workbench from the archive and load it up in Nifskope, just so you can compare the number of objects and their positions and see if they import correctly to 3dsMax. If you end up having to use an .obj it will import as one object, so referencing the model in nifskope will be important for the next part.

When modelling you'll want to do a one-to-one object match in the Institute style, with new objects being roughly the same size/shape and in roughly the same place as the original, so the animations match up. Then you can delete the vanilla meshes and export. After that it's Nifskope work, but I'll save that for later.

Obviously I can't be much help with programs I don't have/use, and in the long run you're probably better at the whole thing than I am, but I am always happy to help out however I can.

Edited by jkruse05