"The Way of the Voice" Bug - Impossible to advance quest.

LiliumSnow

Hello,

So I created two new characters for Skyrim and both of them are stuck on "The Way of the Voice" main quest line and I have no idea how to work around it. This has never happened to me on my first character, who managed complete the quest without any problems.

So I arrive at High Hrothgar and enter the building, were I approach Master Arngeir. He then asks me to prove I am Dragonborn by Shouting, so I do that and he's all "Okay you're Dragonborn." He then explains what this place is, who the Greybeards are and what it means to be Dragonborn, etc etc and then he tells me that Master Einarth will now teach me the second Word of Power for "Unrelenting Force".

This is were the problem starts.

Master Einarth does not show up (in fact, no other Greybeard shows up), but the Word of Power still appears on the floor. So I go "Alright then I'll just absorb that.". So I do that, I get the nice message saying "You have learned a new Word of Power, yaaaay!". Except the journal does not acknowledge that I've absorbed the second word (i.e., it still says "Learn the Word of Power from Einarth") and Master Einarth still hasn't showed up. So I walk around and look for him, except when I try to talk to him he doesn't respond, and so I can't advanced to the next stage of the quest.

I tried reloading an older save (before I entered the building), but it still happened.

I tried exiting out of the building and then reentering, that didn't work.

I even tried using the "setstage" command in the console to see if I could just skip it, but it didn't work, i.e I'm still at the part I'm stuck at.

When this happened for my second character, I thought, "Well maybe this is only happening to this one character.". But then I made my third character and went to High Hrothgar as soon as I received "The Way of the Voice" quest (did no other quests in between) and the exact same thing happened to her.

In desperation, I tried reinstalling the game, made sure I had no mods what-so-ever and tried to complete the quest again. For both of the characters, they still got stuck at the exact same point of the quest.

I have tried everything I could possibly think of to fix it, and nothing has worked. And I know that if I just make a new character again, it's still going to be broken and I won't be able to complete the quest. Is there someone who could offer anything that could help me out?

Sincerely,

LiliumSnow

• 5 months later...

Finally, after so many attempt, I have discovered how to fix this bug! A Bug where you only can talk to Arngeir, the Graybeard's does not gather in the Hall and you can't learn the second word "Ro". I won't keep it to myself, let me share it!!

1. The MAIN Trouble of this bug!

After you kill your very first Dragon (Quest: Dragon Rising), return to Whiterun. You can see two Alir'k Warrior arguing with Whiterun Guard. AVOID THEM! Do not talk to them or hear their conversation as you can do this later. If you heard them out, you will automatically accept this quest (Quest: In My Time of Need) and this will start the bug for "Way of The Voice". I suggest to save after kill your first dragon before you return to Whiterun to avoid this bug. (So you can load if you already accept this quest).

2. To make sure bug won't trigger

On your way to High Hrothgar, make sure you WALK instead on using horse. Because if you play without cheat, you haven't got enough gold to afford horse. Do not use command 'tdetect' when you enter High Hrothgar (tgm is allowed). For safe measure, do not accept Klimmek's quest before you finish this quest.

One more thing, use front door.

If you already accept "In My Time of Need" before you finish "The Way of The Voice", I'm afraid you have to use a new game. I don't know if completing "In My Time of Need" in the middle of "Way of the Voice" could fix this bug. But I don't recommend you doing this if you don't want to new game for second time.

You don't exactly have to follow step 2, I do it just for safe measure. But I can assure you the main problem is on number 1. I think this bug is official. You don't have to uninstall Skyrim all over again or uninstall the mod.

Edited by CrimsonValentine

• 1 month later...

I have a possible solution for everyone that has this bug and doesn't want to start a new game. (Like me)

My character is level 45 by now, finished several big questlines, including dawnguard. 'The way of the voice' was still to go. The result: questline broken, the greybeards won't gather in the main hall of high-hrothgar and so on... (caused by an update)

The trick is to skip the quest via the console, using setstage mq105 50, then setstage mq105 58, 70, 80, 120, 160. The questline will now be finished and you learned the two words involved in the quest (still have to unlock them w/ dragon souls). Problem is, that the next quest, 'The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller' won't trigger...

You have to skip this quest completely by starting the following questline, 'A Blade in the Dark' with setstage mq160 30 and setstage mq106 50 (since Delphine behaves strangely in the first quest stage). Head out to the Dragon burial site and continue with the main quest line! :thumbsup:

Additionally, you may want to teach yourself the final word of Unrelenting force (which you should be granted by the greybeards when you retrieve the horn of jurgen windcaller), since the Greybeards won't talk to you anymore :confused:

So far, it worked for me and I hope it works for you folks too. I know, it is not the most elegant way to fix this problem, but I couldn't live with the knowledge, that I was not able to complete the main quest line.

PS: I don't know, how the Greybeards will behave, if you have to consult them again to see Paarthurnax, since it involves all the greybeards to gather again, i think. When I'm far enough in the main quest line, I'll let you know.

• 2 months later...

Actually, this worked for me:

roxas3310, on 13 Feb 2013 - 13:40, said:http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_images/underground/snapback.png

I'M

HAVING THIS SAME PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No idea

how to fix this!! Don't try advancing thru the console because it breaks

the quest!

Basically, I'd wait for the apparition to turn and face me, give it a
second or two, and then start Fus Ro to go off just about when the guy
bows and appears to become corporeal (gets color).

roxas3310, on 13 Feb 2013 - 13:40, said:http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_images/underground/snapback.png

I'M

the quest!

This 100% worked for me, tricky timing. I had to time the shout to hit the "ghost" as he starts to disappear. Thankyou! :D

I'M

the quest!

This 100% worked for me, tricky timing. I had to time the shout to hit the "ghost" as he starts to disappear. Thankyou! :biggrin:

Same for me. After seeing this suggested here, I tried doing the same. I had to wait until ~1 second after the target nods to begin charging the shout, so that it triggered just as he started to disappear. Good suggestion, thanks very much.

I have started The quest for redguard woman, if that is the issue. When i'm doing this quest, the graybeards cast the ghost spell on floor. I wait a short while till the animation ends and then shout at it with full power. It just goes straight through them with no effect. I do have both 2 runes in the shout, and it is first time that i get this bug on new character. I can see all the graybeards gathered in the hall normally.

edit: In attempt to fix this, i cured vampirism disease that was going to really infect me soon, and finished "In time of need" quest. The bug still remains.

edit2: Used console command:

setstage mq105 140

and it's fixed now. Followup quest for horn started normally.

Edited by Zaflis