"The Way of the Voice" Bug - Impossible to advance quest.

LiliumSnow

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem and i have taken the time of my need quest before going to high hrothgar too. I was desperate if I had to reinstall the game since I had installed more than 60 mods in it. However, the problem was accidentally and unexplainably solved (?_?) when I tried to explore high hrothgar. What I did.. was opening the door to skyrim at the lower floor inside High hrothgar from where arngeir stood and before I opened it a message shows up and all greybeard gathered in front of the obelisk and the next quest started again.

Edited by mibu117

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have no idea if anyone else is having this problem, but when i tried to get the word angeir wouldnt put the word everything else was fine but he just wouldnt put the word down (i also took the redgaurd women quest dont know if its the problem) but it had an easy fix i had to leave and re enter the room then simply shout with fus at angeir he then put the word on the ground and everything else was fine

• 4 weeks later...

Running through again for Special Edition I progressed along quite a few tangent quest lines before heading up the mountain. Had never had this bug before and found this thread after getting stuck.

I have the In My Time of Need quest uncompleted in my quest list. I don't think it really has anything to do with it. I've done past run-throughs with and without the supplies. Having highly leveled most of the crafting and reached the high 30s there was no way I was going back to a very early save.

I was fortunate enough to have a save right before talking to the Greybeards. Going back to that save a couple times it seemed to make a big difference where I was standing when the second Greybeard put the word on the floor. When I originally got stuck I was standing right in front of Einarth and never actually saw the word under my feet though I got the update that I had learned it while running around the room. The quest however stopped at that point and I did not get the dialog about getting energy to activate it from Einarth. He would just shrug when trying to activate him and nothing would happen.

On one reload I made sure to stay far enough back from Einarth that I could see the word appear on the floor when he said it. I then approached and looked down at it as the dragon text flared and faded until I received the quest update. The dialog about getting energy from Einarth then started immediately. I stood right in front of him seeing the energy glow graphics coming from him and immediately got the quest update that the second part of the word had been activated. The quest completed normally.

I think the bug merely has something to do with being in close enough proximity to the word on the floor and perhaps looking at it as it fades when you learn it to trigger the gaining energy step to activate it from Einarth.

Edited by Mhyth

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just in case the other's didn't work for you, this simple solution worked for me. In frustration with trying a few of the other methods, I hit Einarth with my mace and he immediately gave up his 'understanding'.

Ps. I'm guessing it has something to do with him staggering and 'resetting' to some degree, so a power attack is probably more likely to work.

Edited by revel94

• 10 months later...

I have started The quest for redguard woman, if that is the issue. When i'm doing this quest, the graybeards cast the ghost spell on floor. I wait a short while till the animation ends and then shout at it with full power. It just goes straight through them with no effect. I do have both 2 runes in the shout, and it is first time that i get this bug on new character. I can see all the graybeards gathered in the hall normally.

edit: In attempt to fix this, i cured vampirism disease that was going to really infect me soon, and finished "In time of need" quest. The bug still remains.

edit2: Used console command:

setstage mq105 140

and it's fixed now. Followup quest for horn started normally.

This worked for me.

• 1 year later...

I had an issue where I spoke to Arngeir, but no matter what he wouldn't step down the platform with the other greybeards and even though it would say completed demonstrate voice it wouldnt progress further.

My solution was to have him request the shout, and then walk out and back into High Hrothgar, when I re-entered the greybeards were assembling.