4785 replies to this topic

mmd1x2

mmd1x2

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
a comment on the 1.18 drones balance.

the combination of the changes to DR and changing drones to 1 hit point has meant that many drone pods get taken out on the turn they activate, especially if they are in range of an assault double attack, whereas in 1.17 they were a real nuisance and made selection of an engineer a must. i guess the 1 hit point change was to stop drones from healing one another (good idea) but they seem a little too easy at times.

drones do tend to damage they shiv now though and anyone else they hit certainly knows about it.

also, assaults are really wrecking everything now while the rest of the squad stands back and applauds (I mean it's fun but a bit unbalanced perhaps), so maybe the shotguns could be tweaked to be somewhat less effective against DR again.

GamerChris9

GamerChris9

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
In response to post #60678297.

Spoiler

I think Shotguns are in a good place, nerfing their damage against DR would make them worse for other classes as well. Maybe Assaults could just lose the 1 mobility as a starter stat to make it a bit harder to get in there for the double shot?

Ucross

Ucross

Resident poster

• Premium Member
  • 4,338 posts
In response to post #60678297. #60678682 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

Yes, especially with not fearing the pod mechanics getting close is easier than ever. On the more dense missions the assaults are weaker though and there are a lot more missions where you are fighting more aliens at once where getting close can be a lot more dangerous. It might be a little too early to make any definitive conclusions but I'm definitely watching really closely.

As always, thanks for the feedback.

As for drones: they are supposed to be easier enemies. Later game when they get more DR and some health upgrades they get to be worse.

Edited by Ucross, 04 June 2018 - 06:25 PM.

Ranakastrasz

Ranakastrasz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
In response to post #60632837. #60635092 is also a reply to the same post.

Spoiler

Amusingly enough, that actually effects game balance. The officer perk that is based on having each person being a different nationality.

I Kinda hate that perk....

Shakiko

Shakiko

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Not sure where to post localization errors, so bear with me:

The Medic perk "Combat drugs" states that "Combat drugs[sic] grant +20 aim/crit/will. Grants 1 additional smoke grenade..." 

It's supposed to say that Smoke grenades grant those bonuses (like it was in 1.79) , isn't it ?

RawSecurity

RawSecurity

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
In response to post #60693407.

Spoiler

The man has a point!

Shakiko

Shakiko

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Classic mode, got the Train mission end of July. Despite tons of mutons, it was very doable with my A-team now, while I normally skipped it before.
Actually having abit time to get Laser weapons + 1x enh. beam optics and some soldiers with overwatch perks, really helped to be able to chunk them down. Also unlike previous playthroughs were I got that mission in April, those weren't the first mutons I met, so I could autopsy them before to enable Vital Point targeting. Still needed to rush through in the end / could not kill all, but in general it felt hard, but doable the non-gamey way if you prepared yourself for it. (ie. not needing to rush through with assaults from t1 to 8)

Awesome!

Still will skip gangplank ... :D

Shakiko

Shakiko

Journeyman

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Corpses-needed-for-research Feedback:

Classic diff, DW 0.6, India start with 2x Labs bonus. So an extreme research start. Tried to supplement that by preferring Scientist requests over Engineers.

Research went fine most of the time, had some small-ish hiccups when I didn't have enough Fragments/Alloys/Elerium to research a certain tech in the first 4-5 months, but I did fall back to the UFO research techs for a few days then.
Still, End of July / Early August I hit a wall, where I researched everything that was available to me (even all the small UFO research that was available to me(scout, raider, fighter) - didnt shoot down a bigger ufo for more options) . So I had about 2 weeks of empty research in August where I had to wait to get more missions with Berserkers to start Berserker Autopsy.

End of August I finally got my 3rd Berserker corpse, just to get "Meep-ed" again, as the only research available was a Berserker Interrogation.
Needed another 2 weeks /4 missions to finally meet a 4th Berserker, where I save-scummed my capture attempts as I did not want to wait yet another month just to be able to continue researching..... felt very game-y, like I got punished for taking that start bonus.

(you need Berserker interrogation to make Alien Power systems (APS) available, when then open up the whole tech tree again)

Proposal: Reduce the amount of corpses needed for such a bottleneck in the tech tree. I get that needing resources is a way to prevent tech-rushing and it makes sense for most techs, and I definitely liked that I had to scrape every fragment/alloy /elerium from not building equipment so I could continue researching....
But basically being shut off from the 2nd half of the tech game with berserker corpses/interrogaten/Alien power systems b/c the Aliens dont send berserkers more early seems wrong.

Alternatively, how about moving the pre-req for APS to Muton Interrogation - Berserker Interrogation should still be good enough, giving research credits for all Armor tech and 2 Gene upgrades...

Edited by Shakiko, 05 June 2018 - 03:24 AM.

AxemanUnique

AxemanUnique

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
For the Scope, shouldn't the upgrade have a different effect? As is, it is 5 aim and 10 Cril, but Targetting Module also gives 10 crit, and more damage on crit. These seem pretty similar, given that you also have Laser Sight which just gives +10 crit.

Maybe the Scope could focus purely on Aim, and ignore Crit entirely? A 10 aim Scope on upgrade should be reasonable (with no crit), compared to Bipod (which gives 10 aim and crit, but only if you don't move and should TOTALLY be available to all classes, except maybe Rocketeer), and compared to Targetting Module which gives no Aim, but focuses on Crit.

I'm curious what the others think.

GamerChris9

GamerChris9

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
In response to post #60702097.

Spoiler

I agree that the Scope should upgrade to +10 aim. I almost never use the basic version since any other utility item seems more useful to me, maybe this would give me a reason to build it.

Making bipod available to all classes doesn't seem like such a good idea though. It would make other stationary shooters like Infantry, DT Engineer or OW Medic quite powerful. I think having it only for sniper and gunner keeps it niche enough and also makes thematic sense (Assault Rifles dont use bipods, Sniper Rifles and Machineguns do).

Edited by GamerChris9, 05 June 2018 - 09:02 AM.

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.027 seconds