Problem with Mod Organizer 2 and OBSE

ProNoob47

I use MO2 and have some texture and mesh mods installed, some mods that require OBSE and archive invalidation invalidated.

Since you can't launch Steam Oblivion via obseloader.exe, I put all OBSE files into the Oblivion folder and tried the fix about going to workarounds, selecting script extender as 'load mechanism' and select Steam.exe as 'binary' with -applaunch 22330 in the 'arguments' field and launching Oblivion that way.

When I start through that launcher, OBSE works...but all my other mods do not get loaded into the game.

If I start Oblivion through MO2 with Oblivion.exe or OblivionLauncher.exe then my texture and meshes mods work but OBSE does not.

I also have WyreBash added to my Mod Organizer and when I start Oblivion though WyreBash, OBSE isn't working as well but my non-OBSE-dependent mods do work.

I simply can't get my mods and OBSE to work at the same time.

Does anyone know a fix?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay, I have been busy playing other games. :blush: But if it helps, here is what I have noticed when using Oblivion and Mod Organizer:

• Using MO 1 (version 1.3.11), it is possible to select the load mechanism as 'script extender' which will result in MO creating a "hook.dll" and an "mo_path.txt" file in the OBSE plugins folder. This way, it is possible to run Oblivion from the Steam library by clicking the 'play' button for example - the launcher will open, but will not see any mods yet. When Oblivion opens (clicking the 'play' button in the launcher), OBSE will get loaded, and the hook dll will load MO with all the mods installed through MO.
  • Using MO 2 (version 2.0.something, I cannot remember), the OBSE hook mechanism did not work, so the script extender workaround did not work, either, as a result. Because the Steam version of Oblivion needs to be opened via Steam, the script extender workaround seems to be required but does not seem to work, so I could not get my mods installed with MO 2 into Oblivion at all.

That is based on my last test with MO 2 and Oblivion, but it might have been with an older version (it was a couple of months ago). MO 1 works with the script extender workaround - it is enough to open Oblivion from the Steam library. But that was a few months ago, maybe they have fixed something and maybe someone else knows better. Asking in the MO 2 comments section should work, I assume they know a lot better there. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the delay, I have been busy playing other games. :blush: But if it helps, here is what I have noticed when using Oblivion and Mod Organizer:

• Using MO 1 (version 1.3.11), it is possible to select the load mechanism as 'script extender' which will result in MO creating a "hook.dll" and an "mo_path.txt" file in the OBSE plugins folder. This way, it is possible to run Oblivion from the Steam library by clicking the 'play' button for example - the launcher will open, but will not see any mods yet. When Oblivion opens (clicking the 'play' button in the launcher), OBSE will get loaded, and the hook dll will load MO with all the mods installed through MO.
  • Using MO 2 (version 2.0.something, I cannot remember), the OBSE hook mechanism did not work, so the script extender workaround did not work, either, as a result. Because the Steam version of Oblivion needs to be opened via Steam, the script extender workaround seems to be required but does not seem to work, so I could not get my mods installed with MO 2 into Oblivion at all.

That is based on my last test with MO 2 and Oblivion, but it might have been with an older version (it was a couple of months ago). MO 1 works with the script extender workaround - it is enough to open Oblivion from the Steam library. But that was a few months ago, maybe they have fixed something and maybe someone else knows better. Asking in the MO 2 comments section should work, I assume they know a lot better there. :thumbsup:

Tried a Lot and still do not know why this really works this way, but it does.

The Trick is:

Do NOT start Steam, before you launch the Game trough MO2 (and the the well known script extender workaround):

Script extender workaround:

• Go to the workarounds tab and switch the load mechanism from Mod Organizer > Script Extender. (make certain the Steam App ID is set as 22330).

• Open the Modify Executables dialog by clicking the Gear Icon to create a new executable.• Give the executable a title (e.g. Oblivion Steam Launch).

• In the Binary box navigate to where you have steam installed. %\Steam\Steam.exe.

• In the arguments box add the following argument -applaunch 22330.

• You have to load the Game by choosing "Oblivion Steam Launch"

As I said before. I tried everything, from starting the Game by the script extender workaround. This way it starts with OBSE loaded, but without any mod. When I was starting the Game trough MO2 an the Oblivion/Oblivion Launcher Option, the Game starts with working Non-Obse-Mods but without OBSE.

The only way it all works, was by starting the game trough script extender workaround but without Steam allready running in backround.If you do it this way MO2 detects that there is no Steam startet, and it will start it by itself ... and afterwards the working Game.

This way (I suppose because of the delay it takes to start Steam, before finally starting the Game) you could play Oblivion through MO2 with working OBSE Mods. The only unpleasant thing is that MO2 gets looked as long Steam is running, even if you Quit Oblivion. So you have to Quit Steam before MO2 becomes unlocked.

​(MO v2.1.5, Win10 - Branche 1803)

• 11 months later...

Hey, I did what you suggested, but MO2 gives the warning " the executable you are attempted to launch is blacklisted in the virtual file system. This will likely prevent the executable and any executables tht are luanched by this one, from seeing any mods. This could extend to INI files, save games and any other virtualized files "

When I proceed to load my save, the game indeed asks me to load anyway because I have some content missing ( obviously mods disabled ). What should I do?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I did what you suggested, but MO2 gives the warning " the executable you are attempted to launch is blacklisted in the virtual file system. This will likely prevent the executable and any executables tht are luanched by this one, from seeing any mods. This could extend to INI files, save games and any other virtualized files "

When I proceed to load my save, the game indeed asks me to load anyway because I have some content missing ( obviously mods disabled ). What should I do?

I had the same issue. This is the solution:

1. Open Tools -> Settings -> Workarounds
  2. Open Executables Blacklist
  3. Delete Steam.exe from the list and press OK.

After doing this, Zuun's solution works perfectly, with Steam fully closed.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to quote the officially recommended way of getting MO2 to load OBSE from here: https://github.com/ModOrganizer2/modorganizer/wiki/Running-Oblivion-OBSE-with-MO2

1. In MO2, open the executable drop-down and select <Edit...>

2. Select Oblivion.exe, Check the Force Load Libraries and click on the Configure Libraries button

3. Check the checkbox on the line that says Oblivion.exe and obse_1_2_416.dll.

4. Now MO2 will load the OBSE dll each time you start Oblivion.exe. You should NOT run OBSE obse_loader.exe to start the game.

5. All OBSE plugins installed in MO2 should now be seen by the game, and you no longer need to install them in the game folder like in MO1.

The problem with setting the load mechanism to "Script Extender" is that you won't be able to use MO to manage script extender plugins and will have to do so manually.

• 11 months later...