Need an honest opinion on a radio mod idea

ThermalTakeAorus

Just throwing in an additional idea:

Make the radio station an object you can build in one settlement and make it location-aware in the way that the news anchor can say from where he's broadcasting. I'd imagine people would want something like this in a sprawling wasteland town. Hell, you could even have some specific lines about what crops they're growing, if any. I know this is lots of VA work but damn.

Or at least make the station an actual place you can visit.

An interesting idea for an addition. But right now, I think the project 'as is' is going to be alot of work.

I'd still like later versions of the mod to include new, popular lore-friendly mods AND a unique quest mod.

However, if you would like to work alone on the quest portion of the mod, I can write up a script for the quest. But there's some issues:

1.) Need time to write up the script. Gonna take a while. So you might be waiting a while.

2.) You would be working with Pra and all the other mod authors interested on how to integrate your work with their's.

3.) Also need you to pick up the slack when your part is done. So your going to have to commit to bringing this mod to completion.

If you'd like to experiment with how your idea could work, you may as well do so now while you wait.

I have a quest script now. Added all the songs from Diamond City Radio and some placeholder sounds instead of announcements. Tested it, seems to work. If someone were to give me sound files to play between the songs, I could do a first release.

Or, I could just release what I have as a modder's resource. It's rather simplistic currently: there are two scenes, one for music, one for "announcements". They both work by having a lot of radio actions which check a quest variable.

The announcements can currently be either always enabled, or only if a certain file is loaded. I can add a check to consider a mod quest's status, too. I did it somewhat hacky, in that the condition variable will be 0-199 for the "always" announcements, and 200-328 for mod-added (200+128, because there is an array for the mod conditions). I can think of a few different ways, if that's not enough.

edit: due to array, there is also a global limit of 128 announcements in general, too. I could extend with with multiple arrays, should the need arise.

Edited by pra

I

edit: due to array, there is also a global limit of 128 announcements in general, too. I could extend with with multiple arrays, should the need arise.

If that array holds some type of Form you could use a FormList instead of an array to circumvent that limit. If you just need some ordered list of forms to loop over, they behave very similar. You can also modify them at runtime like an array.

I'd still be down for this if and when I get any direction. I really like the concept and would be happy to help.

are you a voice actor? your username kinda implies that.

I have no idea about any actual lines, though. I just hope somebody would either give me some sound files, or ask me for the script.

@payload: nope, it holds ints. indices of currently valid entries of the announcement config array. I'd just add more arrays, and then do if(i>=128)...

@pra lol Yessir, I haven’t been able to communicate with the author of the thread. If he didn’t want to use the accent I sent him, some direction would be appreciated.

I don’t have even have GECK, so..I was just waiting for some dialogue lines.

Hey guys. Just wanted you to know that I'm currently working on the script. The process is going slow since I'm researching all the paths the player can take in quest mods as well as collecting a list of all the Vanilla quests (including the misc. ones) so I can keep track of whats done and needs to be done. I only recently found some misc quests I missed when I was playing the game on console way back before I built my PC rig.