Vault 88 is rife with potential and bethesda came really close to delivering something truly special with the vault tec workshop. What kept vault 88 from reaching its full potential is the fact that the cell it's located in is way too big for the settler AI to properly use. The fix is simple in concept and addresses other issues as well. The vault is already sectioned off into multiple parts with multiple workshops for the quest where you reclaim the vault. These parts even have their own unique entrances.

My request is this: To break vault 88 into multiple cells each separated by a loading screen and each containing a separate settlement.

If this were to be done, the settlement AI could properly utilize the space, the vault would appear populated to a degree that you'd expect, attacks would occur on each (now separated) settlement's unique entrance and the performance while in the vault would be much better. After 6 days or more playtime all spent building my vault 88 I've learned a lot of the strengths and weaknesses of the cell the vault is located in. I've attached a blueprint (modified from Codzilla's blueprint) to visualize the ideal split. In the picture the vault is divided into different cells noted by the black line I've drawn to split them apart. Note that residential 1 and residential 2 could be combined into 1 cell as could Secondary Atrium and Security/Garrison. I've left them separated in case that breaking up cells isn't terribly difficult. Some of these sections have much more vertical space to work with thus the uneven splits. The splits are located where one could place a snappable (but not movable) vault hallway similar to what is seen transitioning the Main Area to the Main Atrium. My thought was that a hallway with door could be placed at these points of division and activating the door would take you to a loading screen after which you would be transported to the other side and thus the other cell.

• 4 years later...

How about having multiple settlements i.e. "*You* live in the eastern part of the settlement now! And *you* there will mosey a Brahmin back and forth through these halls!"

But really technically it is 3-4 distinct settlements, they just share a unique resource mechanic and have an immersion factor that makes it feel like a single one in place. Perhaps let settlers autonomously relocate themselves if X happens.