Codsworth, Sanctuary, CC and Starting Out

warriorpoetex

This is a post I made on Bethesda.net regarding several questions about a bug with Codsworth during the first quest within Sanctuary. If you ever noticed Codsworth not patrolling the homes for the bugs, or just pacing after the first house and not completing the quest- read the below.

I was having this problem on PC, using a modded setup- and with that, per the norm I started to diagnosis it as a possible mod problem. Turns out, it is a CC problem. I removed all CC content, reloaded from with my last save in Vault 111 (right at the exit). Of course I got the missing ESL list, but I just clicked okay and saved the game again in a different slot. Then, I exited the Vault and let any mods I had configure and load themselves before approaching Codsworth. I saved my game again just before interacting with the robot as a future loading point for testing. Then, I talked to him and was able to complete the starting quest just fine. I repeated this 3 more times with the same result. So, I started to look at the CC. I have quite a bit of the CC within my game, most gotten as freebies or discounts in bundles. Captain Cosmos, all the dogs, dog transmog, housing kits, Tunnel Snakes, a few armor and pipboy color addons, etc (28 CC to be exact). I first loaded the two CC with esms, Tunnel Snakes and Captain Cosmos. Then I loaded from the save just before Codsworth and tested. I was able to complete it just fine. So, I repeated the process with each CC, some in small groups ... until I had all the CC back and using the same save file each time so each CC would have to activate in concert with each other every test. So, with the CC still in place- I reloaded to a Vault 111 save that was set before I ever started the testing process and headed to the exit then to Codsworth, letting everything load before hand. And boom, there was the problem. I also noticed in the dialogue tree where he would ask if they should check the neighborhood together (after already having asked him what was wrong - yellow dialogue), the line asking if anything around here was dangerous was gone and replaced with the yellow dialogue option again. This was only present during the Codsworth quest bugged sequence and not in ANY of the other tests. Worth noting during this bugged sequence, he also did not hand me the Hi Honey! holotape despite having the dialogue and animations doing so.

I've come to the conclusion that if all CC is loaded, with having so many, at the start of the game ... it risks the chance of this bug happening. Now, this may be a conflict between the CC and some UI elements I am having such as DEF_UI or Full Dialogue Interface, maybe even the Full Dialogue Interface LOOKUP FAILED Fix or fixed translation files for DEF_UI; more testing will have to be done.

But if you are having this error, trying doing what I did to see if it clears it up. If you have no CC, then this may be a bug introduced with a recent patch within the 2018 year- or another factor that is triggering the bug. But with all I've seen, CC is at the heart of it with some other factor involved; be it a vanilla bug or mod error coupled with the CC.

I've experienced the exact same issue. I don't know what's causing it yet.

Edit: From what I have tested, it is Tunnel Snakes Rules that can trigger the issues. Especially if you enable it before reaching Sanctuary. Enabling it after reaching Sanctuary, even before talking to Codsworth seems fine: No double "charisma check" dialogue, Cordworth not stuck hunting bugs.

I've only checked like 5 times each of the twos configurations (Enabling the mod before or after reaching Sanctuary). So maybe it was just all random, but I don't have the patience to run more tests than that.

Also I've not tested further like with Concorde/Preston related issues. I'm just gonna disable Tunnel Snakes Rules for now with new savegames.

Edited by Elys