Using Other People's Works

I was wondering how strict the nexus is regarding the following idea. Preferably you'd ask for permission first, and wouldn't proceed if the answer is no. But what if you get no response at all?

Idea - some of us suck at modelling, or scripting, etc. Say I created a script that I needed to reference an object to, and no in-game object fit what I was looking for; however, a mod on the nexus has just the item I want to reference. If my mod excluded all work by the other mod author, but referenced it and was required for my mod to function, would that be something I'd generally need permission for? Already asked for permission in this case, but it would be good to know for future reference.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what if you get no response at all?

Then it's taken as a no.

Unless there is a public statement from a modder saying that their content can be used if there is no reply after XX time, the answer is, and should always be presumed to be no.

Alright. Was just fuzzy on whether it was considered "using their work" when the mod you submitted contained only personally-created stuff.

What you cannot do without permission:

Place the item in your own mod and distribute the mesh/textures with it.

What you CAN do without permission:

Make a mod dependent on another mod, either by ESP mastering or needing to have the other mod downloaded and installed for use of its assets. This has its own set of drawbacks, however.

If you tell people they need to install mod X because you used resources that it includes then you're not distributing other peoples work. For instance if you make an esp file that makes the armors from mod X sold at some store instead of going through a long dungeon to get them, then I don't think you're breaking any rules (as long as you don't include the other author's files, and made your own esp from scratch).

It's like a tennis racket. Not much use without a ball. Makers of tennisballs can't just forbid people from making rackets to hit the balls with, or forbid you from letting your dog chew on it.

The downside is, if the mod you require ever gets taken down, your mod will be useless.

If you tell people they need to install mod X because you used resources that it includes then you're not distributing other peoples work. For instance if you make an esp file that makes the armors from mod X sold at some store instead of going through a long dungeon to get them, then I don't think you're breaking any rules (as long as you don't include the other author's files, and made your own esp from scratch).

It's like a tennis racket. Not much use without a ball. Makers of tennisballs can't just forbid people from making rackets to hit the balls with, or forbid you from letting your dog chew on it.

The downside is, if the mod you require ever gets taken down, your mod will be useless.

WOW.... Thats so deep... Great example :)

Another rule of thumb not mentioned when making a mod that depends on another is do not make yours so it nullifies the original. If the Armors are found at the end of a long dungeon and you want them available in a store then leave them in the dungeon and make the store bought as a second option.

WOW.... Thats so deep... Great example :)

Somewhat true but, there are always exceptions to this too! For example I once had someone say they were doing an add-on to my DCInteriors Project. They released there so called add-on then PMed me to let me know. Not minding that people mod my mods I said to myself well cool and, went to download and check the add-on out.

What was done was, my work was just rubber-stamped all over the capital waste by simply duplicating my cells countless times and, adding tones of loot to them. They didn't even bother to change my encounters or cluttering.

This is completely contrary to the intent of my mod because every interior I build is unique even if it uses the same basic layout as another interior.

They then had the nerve to ask the community for help in finding new locations to duplicate more of my interiors into. Asked for bug reports saying they have put a whopping Nine hours into this project . I was completely offended by the blatant theft of my efforts, They may have put there Nine hours of work on there add-on, where I had only put in a mere Nine Hundred hours into my mod.

I wouldn't have minded if it was adding my custom items to vendor loot lists or, building a custom player home that used my custom textures and, meshes but, what they did was wrong and, In my mind theft of my efforts, time. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/verymad.gif The majority of interiors i build have a minimum of twelve hours of work designing, fleshing out the backstory and, creating new textures to make them feel special. If I had simply wanted to fill in all the buildings in the capital waste I would have just made a few interiors, then connected them to as many buildings as I could.

I was so pissed by this, I almost pulled my mods from the nexus!http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/mad.gif

So, I would keep in mind the intent of the mod you want to mod and, respect the intent of the original modder.

chuck