I am at a loss

Harry121314

I have played Fallout 4 since it came out.. no problems what so ever. Framerate Always has been fine.. even in down town boston.

I have a good system with a Nvidia Founders edition 1080, 32 gig of ram, intel i7 processor firecuda hdd of wich fallout is running.. my system is on an ssd from samsung, a 144mhz IIyama gaming monitor.

the other day i decided that it was time to reinstall windows since it had been a while and i believe it,s good to reinstall windows every so often.

However. I reinstalled Fo4 after my clean windows install, and from the getgo i have fps problems. meaning i can't get the game to run smooth anymore, wich.. as stated Always was the case previously.

I looked all over the internet for a similar situation. and boy.. there is a lot of people haveing trouble with this game. But none quite like this

It used to run fine for me though. But now it isn't. I messed arround with all my settings to no avail. ( and i never had to in the past)

when i used LOOT for my loadorder. I got a bit of a shock

DLCrobot:

45 itm records

38 deleted references

1 deleted navmesh

automatron was virtually unplayable with low framerate and strange visuall occurances i don't know how to describe. when i look at a certain direction i see stuff double.

DLCworkshop1:

6 itm records

DLCcoast:

75 itm records

86 deleted references

DLCworkshop2

2 itm records

DLCworkshop3

18 itm records

10 deleted references

and the king of them all

DLCNukaWorld

193 itm records

418 deleted references

7 deleted navmeshes

mind you.. this was a clean, almost modless install.

it's not the itm's that im worried about. But now since im having so much trouble with framerate im starting to think something went terribly wrong.

I cannot for the live of me figure out what the one has to do with the other. Im crying out for help. i mean.. what the funck is going on here?

I know this is a incomprihanceble story, but im at a total loss. by now offcoarse, since i muddled on a bit i have a lot of mods installed ( 80 or so ) and i progressed to level 12 or so, so i don;t realy want to start over and reinstall everything again.

Does anyone know what i did wrong? and is there realy nothing i can do accept reinstall the whole lot again?

Please let me know

Harry

you clearly haven't tried searching for this , but I'll try to explain

this is an extremely well known and documented issue

basically , Bethesda isn't that great at cleaning their own master files , so they are released with these errors in them

and LOOT recognizes the fact that you haven't cleaned these files , and thus they still have these errors

you can easily clean these with FO4Edit (just search Fallout 4 cleaning master files , you should find a tutorial explaining this in like 6 easy to follow steps)

if you still can't figure it out , I'll just list what you need to do (it really is that easy)

so what you need to understand is that this has nothing to do with mods

these are errors in the official master files Bethesda released , and you can easily clean them yourself (if you know how , otherwise you may cause damage)

as for your issues with Automatron , which mods are you using? I seem to recall a mod that allows you to clean objects from the ground causing such issues with this DLC , but I don't know if you use such a mod

I know how to clean those masterfiles i did this in the past. after i progressed considerably on a modded playthrough. I Always used loot and i never had any itm's or deleted references from the start of a new fresh install. im not realy worried about that however. the game seems fine. i use scrap everything. and that clearly stated not to clean itm's since there ( in his words) intentional and requiered for this mod to work.

I am worried however about this stange los of FPS, making the game almost unplayable. my question is, does the one thing have to do with the other?or do i have to look onwords for a solution to this fps problem

I believe it was the Scrap Everything mod (the Automatron addition specifically) that caused these issues (look at the mod's page and the comments , I'm pretty sure that's the one)

I don't know if it has anything to do with cleaning the master files , but I'm not sure I've ever played the game without cleaning them

as for a fresh new install , if you've reinstalled the game , you would need to clean these files again (every time Steam downloads these masters for you , it would be the "dirty" version with all of the itms and such)

do note one thing however . when you say that Scrap Everything says that you aren't meant to clean the itms , which ones? is it talking about itms in the Scrap Everything plugin , or the ones in the master files? my guess is it's the former , and you've just misunderstanding it (but I'll need to check the exact quote to verify this)

It's probable he means not to clean itm's of his plugin.. so i will clean the rest of it. but will that solve the fps problem? i have been playing with those itm.s and deleted references for a week and hadn't had a single ctd. From last exprience when i cleaned masterfiles it made my game realy unstable.

Seems i have 2 problems. the one i thought i could fix ( fps ) i can't seem to fix.

i finished automatron anyway in spite of the fps.

But i can't carry on with this fps finishing the whole game.. im a settlement builder and with every wall i put down my fps drops automatically anyway..

Those ITM records, deleted references and whatnot are a "feature" of Skyrim and Fallout 4. If you plan on modding your game, they should be cleaned. Don't get, why Bethesda doesn't do that themselves. But I assure you, they were always there. LOOT complaining about these errors on a fresh install is absolutely "normal".

Besides that, those mistakes left over in the official game files are (mostly) harmless. They don't matter at all in an unmodded game. They MAY cause problems with mods, in some race cases even CTDs. But they're nothing to worry too much about. Clean your files and that's it.

At any rate, those errors won't cause massive FPS issues. They simply can't. So you will have to look for the causes of your FPS issues elsewhere. Unfortunately, I don't have too much experience with situations like this, so I can only give you some general advice:

- Make sure to download and install the latest drivers for your GPU.

- Test with a new game. Using save games from modded playthroughs on an unmodded game might cause issues.

- Optimize your .ini files (BethINI or Fallout Configuration Tool - https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/102 )

that is a whole different issue

the only place I remember having issues was the location of the final Automatron main quest

that area with the Automatron version of Scrap Everything (if I remember the mod correctly) had massive FPS drops and visual issues

other locations had no such issues to them (and I can't recall such things being reported)

I suggest that you post your load order here (in spoiler tags)

I also suggest trying to narrow it down yourself (do your errors occur everywhere in the game? only in settlements? can you think of something you've done right before the issues began? do these happen only after building settlement items? whatever tests you can do to try and find the cause will help us help you)

hopefully with all of that in mind , we may be able to help you find the cause of your issues

Well.. i did have a faint old memory creep up on me that i had that fps problem before.. it was my gpu driver that was acting up, so im gonna reinstall this driver right after i finish this post. I didn't think this was the problem since it was a clean install but suddenly i had this deja vu feeling i had been down this road before a year ago on my second playthru.. since im an old man i forgot about it. Not shure yet, will let you know.

Yupp.. i think that did the trick.. it's not perfect yet but with a little tweeking it's at least playable again.. i am so sorry to have wasted your time. i want to thank the both of you for responding to my problem..if all i at least learned to clean my master files and not panic.. lol

again thank you for your quick and knowledgeable responces.