Mount Fallout76.esm in Fallout 4 CK

jkruse05

Okay, so we know Fallout 76 has some updated engine features and is an online only game. That means, more than likely, no porting Fallout 4 into it like with Tale of Two Wastelands. However, it appears that they are likely using the same file formats since we see recycled meshes, textures, and animations from Fallout 4.

With that in mind, would it potentially be possible to copy your Fallout 76 master file into the Fallout 4 Data folder to get access to it's new items and creatures in the CK? Even if we can't get the map, due to the new terrain system, we may be able to introduce some of the features into Fallout 4, and be legal about it since you'd need a copy of Fallout 76 to use the .esps.

i guess in theory but the CK used in fo76 may be drastically different. biggest legality is that you cant distribute assets but if you wanna mess with it with out redistributing it i don't see what the issue is since beth cant say dont play with our assets for personal use since that would be impossible to enforce unless some one uploaded em.

i guess in theory but the CK used in fo76 may be drastically different. biggest legality is that you cant distribute assets but if you wanna mess with it with out redistributing it i don't see what the issue is since beth cant say dont play with our assets for personal use since that would be impossible to enforce unless some one uploaded em.

Yeah, I'm just thinking if we make .esp's with it as a master file, and tell people to copy over the .esm themselves, we may be able to get access to a few things at least.

There is little to no evidence to indicate that Fallout 76 is even running on the Creation Engine, let alone in a format that the Creation Kit could read. Simply because some assets look the same doesn't mean anything.

There is little to no evidence to indicate that Fallout 76 is even running on the Creation Engine, let alone in a format that the Creation Kit could read. Simply because some assets look the same doesn't mean anything.

I think we can be reasonably sure it's still some version of the Creation Engine. Todd said in the show that it had new rendering, lighting, and landscape technology. Nothing there about a completely new engine, which would be huge news, and they know it. They have also stated, in the past, that they will be using that engine for the foreseeable future because their efficiency and process as a developer revolves around it. Now, yes, that doesn't automatically mean the assets from 76 will be recognized by 4, but the mere fact that they recycled so much, and are releasing so quickly after the game that it shares assets and systems with, seems a clear indicator that they are still on the same tech. If it began development when Fallout 4 was still being finished, I'd wager that they actually began development on the F4 version of the engine before porting things to the upgraded engine.

There's no way they would wade through all the problems of migrating a whole game's worth of content, both visually and under the hood, when they could upgrade their own engine where the stuff already works. If they switched engines we'd likely see far less recycled. Hell, this even seems to have dragon AI from Skyrim for the giant bat thing, you don't just drop something like that into a new engine and have it work.

Either way, I'm sure we'll find out a lot more when that making-of documentary hits in a couple days.

Edited by jkruse05

I'm sure that they thought of this and will use a good encryption scheme of some kind.

Maybe it will leak anyway or have a work-around. But, I would be surprised if there was any easy access to this content out of the box.

True, they may go to .ba3 archives or something like that. I don't know, I just really want to see some of the new items and enemies in a world that isn't full of trolls. Right now it sounds too much like Ark or Rust, and I had terrible experiences in those games.

• 9 months later...

I have extracted all of the meshes and tried to extract the textures from the BA2 files I found that you can not view the meshes in Nifscope and the texture files are completely different. They no longer use the 3-4 texture files to wrap meshes they use a single file and if you open it up in Gimp they look like someone sprayed the entire texture in green highlighter. I have no clue if we will ever be able to mod FO76 like we did FO3, NV, or FO4 until we can figure out how to use the meshes and textures. I do believe this was intentional!

Edited by Guest

Of course they still use the same game engine it is bethesda we are talking about here. The engine is the same zombrexified dead horse they have been beating on for what, almost two decades now? the difference is in the details. Graphically yeah F76 looks much better but I'm sure it has similar performance issues all those draw calls and other things. I don't own F76 myself and don't intend to ever play it but bethesda track record is really obvious by now.

The author of nifskope says they won't update nifskope to work with F76 until modding is officially supported or allowed by bethesda so of course nifskope doesn't work correctly with anything extracted from the game. Every time I hope F76 is failing I see another dam juicehead video on youtube praising it. Beth wants this kind of gaming to succeed soooo bad but it just won't. If fallout 4 was online only as in you had to connect to a server even for single player I wouldn't bother with it anymore. Gaming like that is just as pointless as bitcoin, you turn off the electricity and you got nothin. Turn off the server and same thing. No, no I don't want to just keep jumping to the next thing and the next thing just because they made it doesn't mean we all have to move to it so they can hurry up and shut down the old servers for the old games. But this is how it will go if online only succeeds and people just keep buying this crap. Can you imagine only being able to play fallout 4 for just one year or two years then it doesn't work anymore?