First donation point report delivered, and recent updates to the system

Dark0ne

In response to post #60940507. #60941607, #60942132 are all replies on the same post.

gorshkov wrote: Comment on the monthly report .... When you issue it, you know the number of DPs involved (obviously), but you ALSO know how much was in the pool. We don't.

What about including the monitary value as well? eg, 997 dp($1.12 US) or something similar, so I know if I at least have a timmy''s in my future?
Treacleman wrote: 1000 dp is always equal to a dollar :) So when they put $6000 in for May, that resulted in 6 million dp being distributed. Next month it'll be $8000, plus whatever they raise from the Patreon!
Dark0ne wrote: We've issued it. That's what the point of this news post is; to let people know we've issued the report for May and to provide some stats and information based off of it.

OK, so I guess I misunderstood - I thought the DP in the report was from the total, which would then have the monetary amount divided.

ty for the clarification

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #60939852.

Valyn81 wrote: Cool. Thank for the update.

@Nexusmods I play lots of the games you have on here but only Bethesda has made modding easy by providing the Creation Kit. While games like 7D2D, The Witcher, etc require you to learn much more time intensive and complicated ways of modding their games.
- If the other games had mod authors as abundant as Bethesda, they would have just as much going toward them. I do not see why you should have to 'segregate' the games by Studio/popularity. It is not Bethesda's fault that they have several MAJOR title games (Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout, Doom) millions of people love and want to mod. Their games give us the tools to make mods for them, unlike other game devs that just give you the option to mod if you can figure out how.
- Also Many of the game like Terraria, Sims, etc, have direct mod downloading from steam via their workshop, so almost no one wants to take the time to upload the mods on nexus, much less download them from nexus.
- Starwars Knights: KotR and KotR 2 has a dedicated modding community with thousands of mods already, few MA still actively work on mods for that game and few are willing to moving their mods to nexus just to get points.
- Sims: Well that is a series of games that has another modding community of its own.

You have hundreds of games, some very old, with a small mod base. Some popular but full of mostly cosmetic mods. I am sorry to say; but, Bethesda games seem to be the majority of your mod base simply because NEXUS has ALWAYS been the go to place for Bethesda games. And the fact that you allow 'adult' mods, which was not always the case, even Lovers lab is not as popular as nexus.

In the end, I guess it does not matter. We make mods because we like doing it, so i guess the points being segregated by game studio does not really matter

Maybe they just realized that introducing a clear popularity based support only reinforces monopoly. As you have mentioned, it is more difficult to make mods for non-Bethesda games. I agree, I have modded Morrowind before I had internet connection. Moreover, this system gives non-Bethesda modders a way lower quantified recognition what can be achived with the same or less amount of labour by modding Bethesda games, simply because of their significantly higher player/mod rate. And people usually moves toward things that gives them more positive feedback. Sorry for my english. I have no energy to learn it, being depleted by the cumbersome modding tools of Mount&Blade. :D
Edited by DtheHun

In response to post #60939852. #60944872 is also a reply to the same post.

Valyn81 wrote: Cool. Thank for the update.

@Nexusmods I play lots of the games you have on here but only Bethesda has made modding easy by providing the Creation Kit. While games like 7D2D, The Witcher, etc require you to learn much more time intensive and complicated ways of modding their games.
- If the other games had mod authors as abundant as Bethesda, they would have just as much going toward them. I do not see why you should have to 'segregate' the games by Studio/popularity. It is not Bethesda's fault that they have several MAJOR title games (Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout, Doom) millions of people love and want to mod. Their games give us the tools to make mods for them, unlike other game devs that just give you the option to mod if you can figure out how.
- Also Many of the game like Terraria, Sims, etc, have direct mod downloading from steam via their workshop, so almost no one wants to take the time to upload the mods on nexus, much less download them from nexus.
- Starwars Knights: KotR and KotR 2 has a dedicated modding community with thousands of mods already, few MA still actively work on mods for that game and few are willing to moving their mods to nexus just to get points.
- Sims: Well that is a series of games that has another modding community of its own.

You have hundreds of games, some very old, with a small mod base. Some popular but full of mostly cosmetic mods. I am sorry to say; but, Bethesda games seem to be the majority of your mod base simply because NEXUS has ALWAYS been the go to place for Bethesda games. And the fact that you allow 'adult' mods, which was not always the case, even Lovers lab is not as popular as nexus.

In the end, I guess it does not matter. We make mods because we like doing it, so i guess the points being segregated by game studio does not really matter
DtheHun wrote: Maybe they just realized that introducing a clear popularity based support only reinforces monopoly. As you have mentioned, it is more difficult to make mods for non-Bethesda games. I agree, I have modded Morrowind before I had internet connection. Moreover, this system gives non-Bethesda modders a way lower quantified recognition what can be achived with the same or less amount of labour by modding Bethesda games, simply because of their significantly higher player/mod rate. And people usually moves toward things that gives them more positive feedback. Sorry for my english. I have no energy to learn it, being depleted by the cumbersome modding tools of Mount&Blade. :D

it is not a popularity support model but simply a majority rules effect. If you have 90% of mods on Bethesda you also have a much larger % of those mods dividing the point among them.
Bethesda's Fallout 4 has 24139 mod, New Vegas 18968, Fallout 3 14605 , skyrim 56915 and SE 12158, Oblivion 28611. I am not including Morrowind or Doom which add only ~ 6k more. (Total 98, 481) This is why the Beth games dominate the mod list.They have 3-30+ times the number of mod of any game on this website. Bethesda Know how to make people play their games and that is to allow people to mod it from their liking. On average 90% of players from one of those games has their mod load maxxed (about 255+ mods before merge patches.)

you do the math; of the 257,444 mods on nexus, Beth games own almost 100k. And as such, of those 100k we have only a portion opted in. If even 5-8% of that opted in, beth would still own 90% of that pool at about 5-8k mods. As the post stated 10,955 mod were opted in, and Beth was 93% of the opted in mods. see what i mean.
========================================
@Dark0ne
If the pool is $6,000 and you remove Beth games from the equation, The $$$ going to the less common game mods would mean the mod authors would get hundreds of dollars instead of $1-50 for the current setup.

But with that said, you might be right after all. I had no idea Beth took about 50% of the total mods on this site. Though, I do not think Nexus needs to add more funds to the pool for the non beth mods. In Fact you know the numbers of Beth to non-Beth mods as stated in the post; so why not set the pool to x% for non beth games based on the ratio you stated. So, the $6000 would be (15%)$900 for non-Beth games and (85%)$5100 to Beth games. It would make fair and reasonable sense to split the funds.

Though going forward it would only be fair to further divide the funds to all games base on their ratio. Edited by Valyn81

In response to post #60950702.

Ghaunadaur wrote:

I must be doing something wrong, because when I click on the 'wallet' button, I can't see any statistics. It's just an empty list. And yes, my mods are opted-in to the system.

I've got the same. I assumed it was just because I only have maybe 2-3k downloads but it's interesting to see someone else doesn't have a report.

Bethesda owned games accounted for 93% of the Donation Points distribution, despite the fact total download stats (and not just opted in stats) show more of an 85/15 split for downloads between Bethesda and non-Bethesda games on Nexus Mods. This disparity is simply because not as many mod authors from other games have opted in their mods.

That's rather interesting considering there were quite a few people complaining that modders of the less popular games would get a smaller share of the pie compared with Skyrim.

Thank you guys so much for setting this system up! Getting some tangible reward for modding is very reinvigorating, even if it's really just one meal a month.

It strikes me as strange that you would want to weight the pool so that non-Bethesda modders get paid more per download. But I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, I'm happy to be receiving anything. Do what you think is best.

In response to post #60950702.

Ghaunadaur wrote:

I must be doing something wrong, because when I click on the 'wallet' button, I can't see any statistics. It's just an empty list. And yes, my mods are opted-in to the system.

I've got the same. I assumed it was just because I only have maybe 2-3k downloads but it's interesting to see someone else doesn't have a report.

You need to click the "view report" link to the right of the Monthly Report section. The rest will be blank because you don't get allocated any actual DP until September :wink:

Fixes to permissions and you can now see what mods are opted in

We have now added some additional text to the "Permissions and credits" section of a mod page that will tell you whether a mod has opted into the Donation Points system. Mod authors need to be able to see and know if other mod authors have opted mods into the system to ensure any permissions or rights issues are being kept to and followed as necessary. This is necessary for us, and other mod authors, to properly moderate the system and is therefore non-negotiable. We will not remove this notification and there is no option to do so on your end.

A few mod authors reported some oddities with the opt-in permissions that you can set for allowing the use of DP, and that should now be cleared up and a bit more logical. Let us know if it still needs some tweaking.

I'd like to request that the permission options for earning DP not be greyed out if we have selected "Asset use permission You must get permission from me before you are allowed to use any of the assets in this file", as I would like to set DP permission to "ask me first" rather than "no" by default.