Hey, I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I'm having.

I recently downloaded some mods for Special Edition with the intent of starting a new game. I've used LOOT to try and get everything in the right order, and I have SKSE installed on my computer. However, anytime I try to launch the game with mods the mods enabled, nothing happens. Steam tells me the game is "running" for a few seconds, and then it syncs and goes back to how it looks when it's closed. Without mods enabled, the game pulls up the start menu, I click play, I hear the first few notes of the intro music, and then everything freezes. The screen never gets to the main menu, it just stays completely black, and my computer tells me the program isn't responding and closes it down. I've tried launching from NMM, Steam, and using the SKSE launcher. Nothing works.

Can someone please help me with this? I've been trying to work out this issue for almost a week now, and I just want to play SE at this point. Below is all the information I know. If you have any other questions that might help you help me, please ask away. I just want to get this issue fixed ASAP.

I'm running Windows 10 and using Nexus Mod Manager. My install path for NMM is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Nexus Mod Manager

My install path for SKSE is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim Special Edition

My load order is as follows (copied from LOOT):

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 Campfire.esm
7 7 RSkyrimChildren.esm
8 8 TouringCarriages.esp
9 9 Cutting Room Floor.esp
10 a SMIM-SE-Merged-All.esp
11 b Differently Ebony.esp
12 c BlendedRoads.esp
13 d RLO - Interiors.esp
14 e CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp
15 f immersivemerchants.esp
16 10 Carry Weight x100.esp
17 11 DIVERSE SKYRIM.esp
18 12 SRG Enhanced Trees Activator.esp
19 13 Footprints.esp
20 14 Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
21 15 honedmetal.esp
22 16 Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
23 17 3DNPC.esp
24 18 Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul - Skyrim.esp
25 19 Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp
26 1a Vivid WeathersSE.esp
27 1b icepenguinworldmapclassic.esp
28 1c Helgen Reborn.esp
29 1d RLO - Exteriors.esp
30 1e OBIS SE.esp
31 1f AMB Glass Variants Lore.esp
32 20 Grass Clipping Fix.esp
33 21 Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
34 22 aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
35 23 dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
36 24 Holidays.esp
37 25 AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
38 26 Inconsequential NPCs.esp
39 27 SilianManor.esp
40 28 Immersive Patrols II.esp
41 29 Frostfall.esp
42 2a Master of Disguise - Special Edition.esp
43 2b OpenFaceGuardHelmetsSSE.esp
44 2c Order My Items.esp
45 2d RLO - Effects.esp
46 2e RLO - Illuminated Spells.esp
47 2f SkyHUD.esp
48 30 SkyUI_SE.esp
49 31 TKMN_MoreAdoptableChildren.esp
50 32 TrueStormsSE.esp
51 33 Unbelievable Grass Two.esp
52 34 Unique Uniques.esp
53 35 UnreadBooksGlow.esp
54 36 WetandCold.esp
55 37 WICO - Immersive Character.esp
56 38 WICO - Immersive People.esp
57 39 WindhelmRacism.esp
58 3a ICOW_WICO_Patch.esp
59 3b WICO - Immersive Dawnguard.esp
60 3c WICO - Wild Hunt Gears.esp
61 3d HearthfireMultiKid.esp
62 3e RSChildren.esp
63 3f PrinceandPauper.esp
64 40 HearthfireMultikid_PNP Patch.esp
65 41 HearthfireMultiKid_LastName.esp
66 42 CWICRFSEPatch.esp
67 43 RLO - CRF Patch.esp
68 44 Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
69 45 Immersive Citizens - TC patch.esp
70 46 RLO - IC Patch.esp
71 47 Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
72 48 RealisticWaterTwo.esp
73 49 RealisticWaterTwo - Watercolor.esp
Thanks for your time!

Have you tried starting the game from a clean install? Without any mods whatsoever and see if it works. Just to see if it is the mods that are causing it. I am not familiar with all these mods in your list either so I probably can't help you that much.

Btw, I see that you use NMM. I also used NMM in the past, and yes it works, but MO2(Mod Organizer 2) is much better IMO, especially if you run many mods.

You can read more about MO2 here. An MO2 vs NMM topic. https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/7ph4wm/nmm_vs_mo2/

I really hope your current problem will be solved.

@Robeloto

Thanks for the direction - I haven't tried starting the game from a clean install yet, as I'm kind of holding out hope it's something that I'm overlooking so I don't have to reinstall all those mods. However - it's looking more and more like that might be my only option. I'll try it out tonight.

As far as MO2 goes, thanks for letting me know about that! I have used Mod Organizer for Oldrim, and I like the UI a lot better, but when I started playing SE I switched to NMM because I heard that Mod Organizer didn't support it. I wasn't aware there was a second version! I'll definitely check it out!

I thought for a mod manager to function properly you had to launch Skyrim through steam initially in order for it to create your ini files etc?

Maybe try launching through steam first to the main menu then exiting and trying again from your mod manager.

By the way dont install 70 plus mods without testing it as you go. You are just asking for trouble. Your issues could stem from one single mod but because you havent tested as you went along you have no idea what it could be

• 7 months later...

having the same issue sadly. I've gone through my mods and just re-downloaded the ones i used a year ago minus the ENB ones that wrecked my machine.

Though as stated above i did not test the game out as i went I just loaded everything up ( which is likely the issue ) but everything worked a year ago when I used NMM ( vortex now ).

I've also done the same exact method with FO4. I just loaded my mods & went. I didnt even need to use LOOT for FO4, using it for skyrim only after the initial bootback did not occur.