Patreon page for our Donation Points system

Dark0ne

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #60910862.

Andarus2 wrote: I'm not giving Patreon any money to support their shitty policies.

It's not really about Patreon... it's about the modders getting recognized and getting an incentive to continue their great work for the community. Without this website I would have grown bored with these games a LONG time ago. And without a place for modders to put their work where it would be received and commented about, some of them wouldn't have continued either.

Ok, I am immediately confused by this. The TOS places relatively strict limitations on how/where a mod author can put their own personal patreon links in a mod description/etc, but somehow THIS is ok?

Someone (Dark) want to please help me make some sense of this? Because this feels very strongly of "Do as we say, not as we do"...

In response to post #60914602.

SkylerModder wrote: Ok, I am immediately confused by this. The TOS places relatively strict limitations on how/where a mod author can put their own personal patreon links in a mod description/etc, but somehow THIS is ok?

Someone (Dark) want to please help me make some sense of this? Because this feels very strongly of "Do as we say, not as we do"...

Here are where donations are mention in our ToS in the context of your post:

Please ensure you are respectful when talking about donations and do not "over do it". An example of "over doing it" would be having a banner or blurb of text talking about donations at the top of your mod description before you've even described what your mod does, or regularly reminding your users in the comment section of your file pages to donate. Tactful discussion of donations would be informing your users they can donate and how to donate somewhere towards the bottom of your file description and/or in your readme file, acknowledging and thanking those users who have donated and who have explicitly agreed to having that information shared with others, a single sticky post in your file comments reminding users they can donate and responses to your users who have specifically asked you how they can donate to you.

What are you struggling with, exactly? The rules are in place to prevent mod authors from plastering Patreon/Donation links all over their mod descriptions to the detriment of the actual point of the mod description -- explaining what your mod does.

Can you explain how us adding a link on the site to a Patreon page to directly support this initiative is confusing you? Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #60914602. #60914912 is also a reply to the same post.

SkylerModder wrote: Ok, I am immediately confused by this. The TOS places relatively strict limitations on how/where a mod author can put their own personal patreon links in a mod description/etc, but somehow THIS is ok?

Dark0ne wrote: Here are where donations are mention in our ToS in the context of your post:

Please ensure you are respectful when talking about donations and do not "over do it". An example of "over doing it" would be having a banner or blurb of text talking about donations at the top of your mod description before you've even described what your mod does, or regularly reminding your users in the comment section of your file pages to donate. Tactful discussion of donations would be informing your users they can donate and how to donate somewhere towards the bottom of your file description and/or in your readme file, acknowledging and thanking those users who have donated and who have explicitly agreed to having that information shared with others, a single sticky post in your file comments reminding users they can donate and responses to your users who have specifically asked you how they can donate to you.

What are you struggling with, exactly? The rules are in place to prevent mod authors from plastering Patreon/Donation links all over their mod descriptions to the detriment of the actual point of the mod description -- explaining what your mod does.

Can you explain how us adding a link on the site to a Patreon page to directly support this initiative is confusing you?

Well, either I have alzheimer's or this section was added since the last time I read the TOS:
Tactful discussion of donations would be informing your users they can donate and how to donate somewhere towards the bottom of your file description and/or in your readme file, acknowledging and thanking those users who have donated and who have explicitly agreed to having that information shared with others, a single sticky post in your file comments reminding users they can donate and responses to your users who have specifically asked you how they can donate to you.

because I don't remember that being there at all. ¯\_(:/)_/¯

Can you explain how us adding a link on the site to a Patreon page to directly support this initiative is confusing you?

2 things: 1) That the initiative needs "supporting" at all is confusing to me, as I was under the impression that Nexus already gets (very) ample funds from all the advertisements and so on it pulls in as it is. 2) In a general sense, I suppose the confusion largely stems from that the Author Donate link is right up top of the website, but that the TOS prevents a mod author having their own link at the top of their mod description. Just seems a bit conflicting, I guess. Maybe I'm wrong. idk. Like I said, I'm confused. ¯\_(:/)_/¯

edit: Apparently unicode characters can't be in a post, because reasons. >:| Edited by SkylerModder

At first I thought that the "author donate" at the top was there so we can link a patreon page to it lol (like how it works with the donation button and paypal), maybe "donation fund" or "DP fund" may be better?

Anyway thanks for the effort ;)

In response to post #60914602. #60914912, #60915742 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote: Here are where donations are mention in our ToS in the context of your post:

SkylerModder wrote: Well, either I have alzheimer's or this section was added since the last time I read the TOS:
Tactful discussion of donations would be informing your users they can donate and how to donate somewhere towards the bottom of your file description and/or in your readme file, acknowledging and thanking those users who have donated and who have explicitly agreed to having that information shared with others, a single sticky post in your file comments reminding users they can donate and responses to your users who have specifically asked you how they can donate to you.

because I don't remember that being there at all. ¯\_(:/)_/¯

2 things: 1) That the initiative needs "supporting" at all is confusing to me, as I was under the impression that Nexus already gets (very) ample funds from all the advertisements and so on it pulls in as it is. 2) In a general sense, I suppose the confusion largely stems from that the Author Donate link is right up top of the website, but that the TOS prevents a mod author having their own link at the top of their mod description. Just seems a bit conflicting, I guess. Maybe I'm wrong. idk. Like I said, I'm confused. ¯\_(:/)_/¯

edit: Apparently unicode characters can't be in a post, because reasons. >:|

That section of the TOS has been there since June 2016.

As for why it's "needed" -- it's explained in this news post and on the Patreon page. It isn't "needed", we're already donating a considerable sum ourselves when we don't have to. This is for users of the site to get involved in the process and "chip in".

In response to post #60915972.

lordkoz wrote: At first I thought that the "author donate" at the top was there so we can link a patreon page to it lol (like how it works with the donation button and paypal), maybe "donation fund" or "DP fund" may be better?

Anyway thanks for the effort ;)

The problem with "Donation fund" is people will click it (or not click it) because they assume it's a donation fund for the sites. "DP Fund" is ambiguous as well.

Best suggested change we came up with today was "Support Authors".