How to permanently fix Grey Face? What worked for you?

Seaweedqueen

I wish mod authors would stop uploading loose file NPC replacers, this problem then wouldn't even exist. Do yourself a favor and pack the files in a bsa. The game will also run smoother as it is optimized for using archives. Unless the mod author modified a record and somehow forgot to include a matching facegen, no more problems. I have a bunch of NPC replacers loaded, either mine or others, covering every NPC - and NO ISSUES. I simply use esp load order to get the look I want for each NPC.

I wish mod authors would stop uploading loose file NPC replacers, this problem then wouldn't even exist. Do yourself a favor and pack the files in a bsa. The game will also run smoother as it is optimized for using archives. Unless the mod author modified a record and somehow forgot to include a matching facegen, no more problems. I have a bunch of NPC replacers loaded, either mine or others, covering every NPC - and NO ISSUES. I simply use esp load order to get the look I want for each NPC.

I love BSAs :tongue: I've learned to just do it myself. Tedious, but once it's done, it's done, I guess.

One cause of black face is Vanilla hair replacer. All custom NPCs using vanilla asset will have black face, bsa or not. The only exceptions are those mods that pack their own custom hairs without using vanilla hair.

I just found another cause of black face. I was editing a body skin, an then saved it back to .dds. There is a barrage of options for DDS saving, auto mipmap generation? compression? alpha? I saved as BC7 compression (which I know SSE can support). I chose Color + Alpha ... having an Alpha channel added turned the body black. I resaved the texture file without an alpha channel, it turned out fine.