Captcha on Login

kamikatze13

VklDlQz.png

Since when did this become a thing?

Not only i cannot longer dl mods without logging in - which doesn't bother me too much since it's for the greater good of donation points - but a captcha on login? really? do i really have to click myself through twenty slides of store fronts only to have the algorithm tell me it's supposedly smarter than a human with a brain and am free to start again, with cars or busses this time? no, wait, try again - how you like street signs? it literally took me two minutes to login to type this comment cause recaptcha v2 sucks flaccid cock >.>

what's the rationale behind the nexus implementing this?

tbh, for me, having to go through this process is so repulsing that i indeed concidered not to login and not to download the mod i was after.

Edited by kamikatze13

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've noticed in recent months a lot of malicious bot activity trying to gain access to people's accounts. They've succeeded in some places and stolen a lot of accounts in the process due to user's using the same logins and passwords across multiple sites that have been hacked and leaked online, and then not changing those passwords.

Captcha is very effective at keeping most bots (and some humans, unfortunately) out. We think the merits of having it to supplement our security outweight the inconvenience to our users.

If you are seeing a selection of images to analyze, what you are seeing is an extra security challenge. Otherwise, generally speaking, the experience usually only consists of clicking the checkbox in your example once and that's it. Some reasons you may be seeing this consistently could be due to preventing google cookies or the use of a VPN.

We've noticed in recent months a lot of malicious bot activity trying to gain access to people's accounts. They've succeeded in some places and stolen a lot of accounts in the process due to user's using the same logins and passwords across multiple sites that have been hacked and leaked online, and then not changing those passwords.

Captcha is very effective at keeping most bots (and some humans, unfortunately) out. We think the merits of having it to supplement our security outweight the inconvenience to our users.

thanks for clarification. imho that would've deserved a `news` announcement. kinda sucks to hear, though. Might I ask why you went with recaptcha v2? there are other captcha providers out there that don't take multiple minutes to solve. was it the most effective / the easiest to implement / ...?

If you are seeing a selection of images to analyze, what you are seeing is an extra security challenge. Otherwise, generally speaking, the experience usually only consists of clicking the checkbox in your example once and that's it. Some reasons you may be seeing this consistently could be due to preventing google cookies or the use of a VPN.

i have literally never encountered a recaptcha_v2 where a click would have sufficed. i have to loop through at least three slideshows each captcha i have encountered. having a static ip address is certainly not helping either. guess google doesn't like me.

anyone got a hint how to skip those faster? i.e. a custom browser user agent string or the like? not erasing cookies after closing the browser is not a viable solution for me.

EDIT:

QLxOkET.png

had to host a hotspot from my mobile to log in - glad my mainboard has a wifi chip. no vpn, no potentially compromised devices in my network. windows was reinstalled less than two weeks ago. being barred from access feels great /s

Edited by kamikatze13

Some reasons you may be seeing this consistently could be due to preventing google cookies

Almost, in a technical meaning.

And surprisingly, without any further notice, 2 weeks after GDPR in every newspaper, now I face the choice of being annoyed or to feed 3rd party parasites?

Let me consider my feelings about this for a minute...

Edited by r131

I know you probably won't do anything about this, but some of us don't allow anything google on our PCs. I went to fire up my laptop earlier today, and I can't sign in to nexus because of this stupid captcha stuff. It isn't that it is just a pain - google is blocked through my network for privacy reasons - so I can't access nexus anymore except from this one PC where apparently I have a cookie set before you started requiring this captcha nonsense.

For now, I guess I will just be limited to only using nexus from this one PC. If I get a new PC... I guess I won't be using nexus anymore?

Please reconsider what you are doing, and get rid of google captcha. I don't mind if you do some kind of captcha type thing - but do it with a different service, not google. There are plently of other options!

Thanks for you consideration :smile:

Edited by chickmetalhead