Captcha on Login

kamikatze13

Facebook got in a mess because Cambridge Analytica were collecting details of users who had not given permission for their data to be processed. Users who didn't read the small print and accepted the terms of the "fun quiz" CA did were fair game as they specifically agreed to that. It was not fair game for CA to take the data of the friends of those people who played the "fun quiz" without their permission. And that's why Facebook and CA got in a lot of trouble. It wasn't to do with advertising, it was to do with the permissions users were giving to third-party apps on Facebook.

As someone who has worked with advertising on sites for over 18 years now, and knows how it actually works, I do not turn off ad tracking cookies. I like seeing ads tailored to my actual interests and understand the anonymised nature of the data they have on me. So I'm definitely not in the "They would, if they realised" category.

The fact remains that the vast majority of users do not block cookies, when they have a choice to do so, and ergo Google reCaptcha is the correct option. If people don't want anything to do with Google, they can block Google, and an alternative is provided for them.

I stand by this opinion, because I see how many people are in the rest of the world's environments. They don't put up with advertising and tracking with phone, mail, hate it when it's excessive in their media/TV, hate it spreading too much in their property/neighborhoods, etc.. The average person doesn't even want to interact at a damn shoe store, unless they first ask for assistance. The idea that people actually want all of this customized and tailor made for them (as internet ads function) is nonsense. That happened.....never.

edit: OK, not true. The people asking for this in their lives are like housewives who hire interior designers... and then spill their guts for some reason, and tell their life stories. Still a miniscule segment of the population.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They would, if they realized. Look at the mess Facebook got in... when it's finally explained right to people (and they're motivated by politics.. ahem). This stuff is common knowledge to anyone already savvy, but it was treated like actual "news". It just shows how clueless people are.

@straykat627; I agree.

If a company's wares are "free to use" you aren't the customer, you're the product. Which is fine if it's clear that's the relationship.

But some companies (Google, for example) offer others (the Nexus, for example) tools (reCaptcha, for example) for free so that information about the users, (the real "product") can be collected AND shared with others in a way that's opaque to those users.

Do Google truly and adequately "anonymize" the data they collect? Do the others to whom they give (sell) that data only use it for the "authorized" purposes?

If you think so then you have no problem letting it be collected. If you don't think so you have options, although they aren't always obvious or convenient. But then, security and privacy seldom are. :wink:

Caveat Lusor!

But some companies (Google, for example) offer others (the Nexus, for example) tools (reCaptcha, for example) for free so that information about the users, (the real "product") can be collected AND shared with others in a way that's opaque to those users.

Do Google truly and adequately "anonymize" the data they collect? Do the others to whom they give (sell) that data only use it for the "authorized" purposes?

If you think so then you have no problem letting it be collected. If you don't think so you have options, although they aren't always obvious or convenient. But then, security and privacy seldom are. :wink:

I think the newly EU directive called GDPR should protect the customers at least in EU from companies like Google to collect private information without getting permission from their users.

I wonder if you realize how many people of that 95% are accepting Google's terms without ever reading that fine print.

What's your point?

How many people read the terms and conditions of the software/websites they're using? Very few. That's their choice.

Didn't you say that the issue with Facebook was that it allowed a 3rd party company to harvest and process user data based on a fine print they didn't read ?

Replace Facebook with Nexusmods and 3rd party company with Google. It's the same problem, no actually it's worse here because most users don't realize that you have implemented your own captcha and therefore they think that it's either reCaptcha or no entry to Nexusmods.

Why don't you simply use your own captcha as the default and use reCaptcha as an option ? I know that its a hassle for your development team, but you are simply too big to ignore the ramifications of forcing Google's terms on a large chunk of the gaming community.

Edited by axonis

Didn't you say that the issue with Facebook was that it allowed a 3rd party company to harvest and process user data based on a fine print they didn't read ?

No. I said the problem was that Cambridge Analytica were harvesting the data of people, without permission, who specifically hadn't been presented with any sort of terms to agree to. They were harvesting the data of FRIENDS of people who agreed to the terms.

A direct comparison would be if, by you logging in to Nexus Mods, the data of your friends on Nexus Mods was harvested by Google without them even knowing or giving permission.

Holy captcha Batman!

I just want some Battletech mods. The login wall is bad enough, but my Linux laptop completely cannot get past the Captchas.... and it takes me about 5 tries on my Windows 7 PC.

Absolutely forget even trying to log in on a phone!

The worst part is that the captcha window is random...sometimes it's before you type your login name, sometimes it's after, and sometimes it never shows up and you just get "captcha fail."

I'm going to try to download everything I need in one go and then never come back...not worth wasting my time navigating Captchas.

FWIW, I'm one of those people who skips the self-checkout line as well.

We've implemented a new Captcha that is intended to be served to those who cannot 'see' Google's ReCaptcha. This will hopefully allow those who have been having issues recently to successfully log in.

Oh hey, thank you for addressing both of my concerns. I haven't logged in for a while and was really pleased to see you did that!