Captcha on Login

kamikatze13

Since some weeks the captchas get more and more crazy. It not possible to login with solving one captcha. there are 2 and more tries necessary.
It's not only pain for mod authors, but also for mod users, as I remember some month ago it was not necessary to log in for downloading small mods. It's very unpleasant situation for all, I really hope the captcha system will change. Nothing against captchas in general ...

Edited by Obelix1111

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I can no longer login to Nexusmods. The captcha doesn't load. All I get is a spinning wheel. reCaptcha is just another way for Google to lock pepole in and spy on them. It's a real shame sites use it. But like most people I put up with it as long as it works. But now it doesn't. Has there been a recent update that has knocked out my browser (Pale Moon)?

Funnelling people down a narrowing path of application use into Google's maw should be fought against and it's disappointing that the Nexus has started doing this.

Hello, I can no longer login to Nexusmods. The captcha doesn't load. All I get is a spinning wheel. reCaptcha is just another way for Google to lock pepole in and spy on them. It's a real shame sites use it. But like most people I put up with it as long as it works. But now it doesn't. Has there been a recent update that has knocked out my browser (Pale Moon)?

Funnelling people down a narrowing path of application use into Google's maw should be fought against and it's disappointing that the Nexus has started doing this.

The only reason you won't see the captcha is if something on your end is blocking it. Seems Firefox users with tin-foil hat mode (I can't remember what it's actually called) turned on or some enhanced privacy add-ons have reported issues seeing it. As 'Pale Moon' is Mozilla based it could be connected. Are you able to log in through a different browser? Or on another device (such as a mobile phone/tablet)?

If you're still having problems, feel free to drop me a PM and there are a few other troubleshooting steps we can try. You can also contact us at [email protected] if you're not able to log in.

The only reason you won't see the captcha is if something on your end is blocking it. Seems Firefox users with tin-foil hat mode (I can't remember what it's actually called) turned on or some enhanced privacy add-ons have reported issues seeing it. As 'Pale Moon' is Mozilla based it could be connected. Are you able to log in through a different browser? Or on another device (such as a mobile phone/tablet)?

If you're still having problems, feel free to drop me a PM and there are a few other troubleshooting steps we can try. You can also contact us at [email protected] if you're not able to log in.

Thanks but it has nothing to do with security setings on PM. Even with all scripts allowed and all extensions disabled I can't get a Captcha to load. I assume then that this version doesn't work with Pale Moon (or your implementation of it doesn't). I did try with Firefox and I could log in, but I still didn't get a captcha, I went straight into the site without one. I would also point out that using basic security settings in your browser isn't in the realm of tin-foil hats, it's just a sensible precaution.

It's entirely up the the owners what they do with the site, but if using reCaptcha means having to use an insecure browser with all security turned off, I'll have to pass.

EDIT: For any other Pale Moon users - update your browser to version 28 (out in the last day or two). This has much greater compatibility with other modern browsers, and this version is recognized by reCaptcha. I assume it was that lack of recognition that was causing reCaptcha not to work before. And I'm also assuming from the way it is working that if its new algorithm recognizes you as a human somehow you don't have to input a Captcha at all. Does this mean they know you and have you in a database somewhere? Scary thought.

Edited by blackrat99

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay,

I've refrained from commenting on this so far because I see it from both sides.

I will say that it irritates me intensely, as I detest captcha because of my poor eyesight.

What annoys me most about it is that each and every time I struggle through proving that I'm not some b***** robot, I get directed to the main forum menu and then have to negotiate my own way back to the mod or forum that I was looking at when I was asked to prove my humanity.

Often it's quicker to open a new tab, type in the same search and open the new tab to get to where I wanted to be in the first place.

I can accept that Nexus feels the need to institute this system (reluctantly) but I can't for the life of me see why you have to increase the suffering of your members by accepting that they're not robots and then making them do work to get back to where they started from.

All I ask is that when I finally pass the stupid test, that you send me back to the page I started from.

I've said my piece, so I hope for a sensible answer.

Okay,

I've refrained from commenting on this so far because I see it from both sides.

I will say that it irritates me intensely, as I detest captcha because of my poor eyesight.

What annoys me most about it is that each and every time I struggle through proving that I'm not some b***** robot, I get directed to the main forum menu and then have to negotiate my own way back to the mod or forum that I was looking at when I was asked to prove my humanity.

Often it's quicker to open a new tab, type in the same search and open the new tab to get to where I wanted to be in the first place.

I can accept that Nexus feels the need to institute this system (reluctantly) but I can't for the life of me see why you have to increase the suffering of your members by accepting that they're not robots and then making them do work to get back to where they started from.

All I ask is that when I finally pass the stupid test, that you send me back to the page I started from.

I've said my piece, so I hope for a sensible answer.

Curious, this is not intended functionality. Though I suspect something is being blocked to cause it. The login screen should pop up over what you are currently viewing and refresh the page on login success. If you're using a really old browser or blocking some of our scripts, it will take you to an external page but should direct you back to where you came from on login.

I'd be happy to look into it further if you can PM me the link you're using to log in and give a little more detail on how you can reproduce this issue :)

When I log in to Nexusmods I am always returned to the page from which I started. In fact, I cannot remember a time when I was not returned to my starting page. I don't deny that other people are having a genuine problem here. However, it would appear that the problem may arise from something other than the Nexusmods site.