Captcha on Login

kamikatze13

A rather belated reply, but I'd much rather see this gone altogether: reCaptcha causes me so many problems and my heart just sinks as soon as I see the "select all street-signs" one pop up as I know I'll be in the never ending cycle of doing one after another, and it either failing or wanting more verification, and gets slower and slower and Google eventually blocks my (static) IP. I know it's not just me (though I do have the additional disadvantage that there is no "absolute" answer a lot of the time, it's based on a consensus of how people tend to think; only I'm autistic, and kinda the definition is that I don't think the same way as most people) and it doesn't seem to be anything I'm blocking either since I can sign into Google services just fine, which miraculously makes the Captcha much less onerous: but I don't really want to do that every time for all sorts of reasons. And given that I'm a lifetime member, I'd hope my blocking of this and that for security reasons isn't an issue anyway.

Although I agree that more security is generally good, Google isn't really the place to provide it: not just the frequently problems with reCaptcha itself, nor the privacy problems, but as a provider, Google is so indifferent to people having problems with its stuff that it can't even be bothered to shrug.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I close my browser and clear cookies while playing game

That'll be the reason. The only way it can keep track of whether you've successfully completed captcha already is if you allow your cookies (at least from them) to remain. Same for Nexus Mods. If you don't delete the Nexus Mods cookie, you won't be logged out for a month, ergo you won't need to do the captcha again for at least a month on that computer.

This just seems like way too much. all of it. Iv never seen a site that's wants my money so bad, but makes it so hard to even do the simplest thing as log in. Something so simple is now a chore.

Iv read through this thread and my only thing is why is it always this site. Everything is so extra here, theirs always an excuse as to this or that, users have to go so far out of there way to do the simplest things here. Of all the sites i frequent none are nearly this in your face or have so many problems. My info always seems to be at risk here, and the site punishes me for its own fault? This place just seems to work ass backwards. I'm constantly reminded of a leak that started in 2013, and lost my main account 5 years later because of this. 5 years, seriously and the only you've manged to do is make it a pain to use the site. But wait would you like to become a premium user? Place is a straight up joke.

Odd that the users that don't like stale crap left in their browser/cache any more then the current session are the ones who feel punished by being tasked with captcha every login.

The other percent of users that never flush their browser/caches and stay logged in for a month are the reason security is so bad!
Yet all this site does is promote such behavior.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

Odd that the users that don't like stale crap left in their browser/cache any more then the current session are the ones who feel punished by being tasked with captcha every login.

The other percent of users that never flush their browser/caches and stay logged in for a month are the reason security is so bad!

Yet all this site does is promote such behavior.

Perhaps people should take more time and care in their process when clearing out their cookies and browser settings? Instead of blitzing the entire thing, take a few minutes and remove the ones you feel require it, leaving the ones you don't/shouldn't have issues with.

It's the "all or nothing" approach that's the problem...

Blacklist all by default is only a useful policy for a user if they whitelist places that need cookies set to function properly. Like, say, Nexus.

Just a dumb question for those with the ability to make changes. Could you maybe use a smarter cookie (no pun intended) to keep someone logged in for 30 days from their last access/activity instead of last successful login? Might alleviate some of the aggravation.

@Unshod Cobbler, this is NOT a response to your post, but I quoted it, to make a highlight for the people who obviously have no clue how cookies work and want to blame the Nexus for the Captcha screen.

So everything I say, is directed at THOSE people, not YOU.

The aggravation is caused by the +7337 (OLD reference) people who think they are master of security settings because they read some half-arsed security article on some useless website.

I've been logged into Nexus mods since 2009 (OK, actually, I had to re-log in to change my password once), so I've been logged in to Nexus Mods for about 7 contiguous years now. because I allowed the Nexus to set a fricking Cookie.

I do that with Websites I don't want to keep entering my LOGIN and PASSWORD.

I have NEVER seen a "captcha", because I *GASP* Allowed Nexusmods TO SET A COOKIE.

THAT, is what you do ON A TRUSTED WEBSITE.

If you keep deleting ALL of your Cookies, then It's YOUR fault you keep getting the CAPTCHA screen, got it?

Your Fault. So stop complaining if you keep deleting ALL your cookies.

That alone tells me that people who complain about seeing the Captcha all the time, don't even understand WHAT cookies are, and are just blindly following some piss-poor internet advice they got.

Allow the sites you trust, to set cookies, then HEY!!! No More CAPTCHA!!!

That's what you do when you're tired of logging into every single website that you visit.

Stop going after NexusMods for asking for your Login and Password every single time, because you keep deleting your cookies every time you close your browser.

"HaY GuiSE, I don't liek teh Nexus Mods becase they keep asking for my LoGIn end PAsSworD every time I dlete my CooKiEs"

Well........DUH?

At this point any problems with CAPTCHA, is completely PEBCACK.

I think people are far too paranoid, and read misleading articles from Alex Jones type people who tell you how to set your browser security way too high to the point where you can't even browse the web.

I did that back in the 90s at one point, and thought I was some "Super Security Master", but goddamn, did I have to jump through ridiculous hoops in order to navigate the web, because I had to click on so many "DO YOU WANT TO SEE THIS WEBSITE?"" "THIS WEBSITE MAY BE BAD HURRR CLICK YAS TO VIEW?" "PROCEED?" and other nonsense.

Perhaps people should take more time and care in their process when clearing out their cookies and browser settings? Instead of blitzing the entire thing, take a few minutes and remove the ones you feel require it, leaving the ones you don't/shouldn't have issues with.

It's the "all or nothing" approach that's the problem...

^ THIS, RIGHT HERE