Captcha on Login

kamikatze13

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep my cache is cleaned on browser close no exclusions. I no longer fill in the captcha on login, I leave it up to my simple pixel searching bot. So what's that captcha spose to secure anyways, since a pos kiddie script can still fill a captcha in without human interaction?

Yea, lol, if it was that easy, you wouldn't have pulled all your mods in protest.

You would've just switched to your "simple pixel searching bot" wouldn't you?

Try harder.

Just a dumb question for those with the ability to make changes. Could you maybe use a smarter cookie (no pun intended) to keep someone logged in for 30 days from their last access/activity instead of last successful login? Might alleviate some of the aggravation.

@Unshod Cobbler, this is NOT a response to your post, but I quoted it, to make a highlight for the people who obviously have no clue how cookies work and want to blame the Nexus for the Captcha screen.

So everything I say, is directed at THOSE people, not YOU.

< Snicker Snack >

I feel so used and abused. The nerve of some people.

:teehee: :laugh: :teehee: :laugh: :teehee: :laugh: :teehee: :laugh: :teehee: :laugh:

Yep my cache is cleaned on browser close no exclusions. I no longer fill in the captcha on login, I leave it up to my simple pixel searching bot. So what's that captcha spose to secure anyways, since a pos kiddie script can still fill a captcha in without human interaction?

Yea, lol, if it was that easy, you wouldn't have pulled all your mods in protest.

You would've just switched to your "simple pixel searching bot" wouldn't you?

Try harder.

Why try harder, just work smarter.

When something pisses me off is when I get creative.

Basically I just grabbed a bit of image scan code to differentiate image pixel colors, compares against a table and then implemented it into autoit scripting language which I just use standard window api calls to lockbits process the data and paste what it translates.

This is due to I always have script blocking active which blocks googles crappy image click captcha and I get the static captcha.

Still refining the time it takes to translate, but not that bad.

So if a novice scripter can do that then what stops those that know how at low level, that crappy captcha aint slowing down the real threats in the slightest.

It's merely pissing off the genuine users.

Odd that the users that don't like stale crap left in their browser/cache any more then the current session are the ones who feel punished by being tasked with captcha every login.

This has nothing to do with your cache, and the two are mutually exclusive. You can clear your cache without deleting all your cookies after every session. You can similarly whitelist certain sites that need cookies in order to operate, or the specific cookies themselves. It's not hard. It's certainly a lot easier and less time consuming than what you describe doing below...

Why try harder, just work smarter.
When something pisses me off is when I get creative.
Basically I just grabbed a bit of image scan code to differentiate image pixel colors, compares against a table and then implemented it into autoit scripting language which I just use standard window api calls to lockbits process the data and paste what it translates.
This is due to I always have script blocking active which blocks googles crappy image click captcha and I get the static captcha.
Still refining the time it takes to translate, but not that bad.
So if a novice scripter can do that then what stops those that know how at low level, that crappy captcha aint slowing down the real threats in the slightest.
It's merely pissing off the genuine users.

Bot activity has decreased significantly since bringing in the Captcha system. So yeah, no. Nothing is stopping us from switching up the secondary Captcha image parameters at random, if we believe it is necessary or bot activity rises again. However, it's simply not necessary for us to spend time on it at the moment considering the significant results we've seen implementing it already.

Captach is not good for user experience, Ok, but It's maybe a plus for our security. Technically we have quite a draw here.

What's bother me more is that Google doesn't give tools for free. You're giving our web nexus activity to Google without our consent (and maybe notifying us).

What's bother me more is that Google doesn't give tools for free. You're giving our web nexus activity to Google without our consent (and maybe notifying us).

The fact we're using Google reCaptcha is shown on the login form itself and mentioned within our Privacy Policy. Considering your email provider, I'm surprised it's an issue for you personally!

I close my browser and clear cookies while playing game

That'll be the reason. The only way it can keep track of whether you've successfully completed captcha already is if you allow your cookies (at least from them) to remain. Same for Nexus Mods. If you don't delete the Nexus Mods cookie, you won't be logged out for a month, ergo you won't need to do the captcha again for at least a month on that computer.

I was just noticing that reCaptcha was coming up a lot more frequently than I remember after clearing my cookies. That's all. Wondered if something changed, since it is more annoying.

I usually don't bother with the humanity challenge. It is actually faster to press F5 and try again, or just try again in a little while, than it is to pick all the bicycle, parking meter, or small dog pictures. I just prefer to log in when I hit the site because y'all don't like my ad blocker. :-)

Sorry for stirring the pot.

Captach is not good for user experience, Ok, but It's maybe a plus for our security. Technically we have quite a draw here.

Paracelse

Alle Ding sind Gift, und nichts ohn Gift; allein die Dosis macht, das ein Ding kein Gift ist .

The fact we're using Google reCaptcha is shown on the login form itself and mentioned within our Privacy Policy. Considering your email provider, I'm surprised it's an issue for you personally!

His email provider is his own private business. Please respect his privacy.