SSEdit...What am I doing wrong?

lazloarcadia

So I've followed the video by Elianora (

) nearly to the letter for creating a merge patch which removes conflicting records. I thought I understood everything pretty well except when I save the file...I cant find it! I later noticed that it appears to NOT be creating a merge patch but actually changing the mod (s?) .esp with the changes I've made. Have I in fact been over writing the mod files? If so, why it is only showing that it is changing one file even when I'm working with several mods selected?

I suppose the only way to restore these files to default is to delete them and install them again from scratch.

Is there a similar process be which to create an actual esp patch which could potentially be shared later?

Links to videos which show this process more clearly would be really appreciated. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've followed this video guide too but it worked perfectly for me. I used to have flickering issues inside the house and no longer do.

Have you used SSEEdit before on your main 4 .esm files? Maybe you don't have it installed in the right place and then that means it wouldn't be saving its changes in the right place either. I'd check that first.

Have I in fact been over writing the mod files?

SSEEdit saves a backup of the original, unmodified files you select. In case anything goes wrong, you should always have a backup saved.

I'll also try to put into words what I did for this issue (even though I just followed the video), maybe you haven't done something that I did.

• Open SSEEdit.
  • Right click anywhere in the mods checklist that pops up, select 'none'.
  • Select only your lighting mod(s) and house mod .esp from the checklist (I use RLO so that is the .esp I selected), click ok.
  • Let the program load, you will see "Background Loader: finished" when it is done.
  • On the left side, choose all the .esp files you loaded, right click and select "Apply filter for cleaning", let the program load, it will say [Filtering done] on the right side.
  • Right click all your .esp files again and select "Apply script". In the new window choose 'conflict status' from the dropdown menu, click ok, let program finish.
  • Now you should see some colors. Expand your .esp files using the [+] button and look for any red colors.
  • These red lines are the conflicts you have with your lighting mod and your house mod. Select any that exist and hit your delete key. You are fixing all the problems in this step.
  • Now you just need to exit out of the program. Hit the X in the top right and a new window will pop up with your modified .esp files checked. This is the part where it saves what you have done.
  • Assuming you have SSEEdit already set up in the right place, then closing the program will automatically save over your already existing .esp files. You shouldn't have to do a thing beyond this point. Your issue should be fixed.

Hope this helps.

Edited by doubletroubleswtor

You just need to delete records from either mod, not both. In this case, it may be wise to delete record from the lighting mod instead of the house mod because you do want the house to look exactly as intended from the house designer. Especially in the case of Elinora's house.

It is not necessary to create a patch. Because a patch is to correct a certain very specific record(s) from both mods. If authors of either mods upload a newer version, these specific record(s) may not be the same anymore. The only time a patch is useful when one of these mods are going to have a barrage of patches, having a modular patch will allow you to be able to install multiple patches (each fixes a specific thing), which is a lot more sensible than directly overwriting records within the mod.