How do I get NPCs to dual weild

Well, the 'not always' seems interesting to me. Dunno about Inigo, but in ye olde Skyrim I could give Vilja two weapons and she would relatively consistently equip both and draw both. Get the newest SSE and the mod, and it seems more of a toss. She also prefers to pick up an iron shield off some bandit than use a second weapon that's been honed to do like 900 damage, via the usual abuses of smithing, enchanting and alchemy.

In fact, the only way I found to prevent her from picking up some wimpy shield if I don't loot every single shield, is to just forget about dual wielding and give her a two-hander.

Guess I should get Inigo instead. After all, any self respecting villain has to have a cat :wink:

Doesn't it depend on what combat style they are assigned in the CK? I know that dual wielding is an option, but I couldn't tell you which NPC's use it accept perhaps for a few of those random "DB Assassin's" that pop up from time to time, and occasionally the odd Forsworn peon will dual wield.

There's a section, within the combat style form, to allow dual wielding. From there, you should be able to use the slide bars to determine how often the NPC will use which attacks. Probably easiest to duplicate an existing CS and rename it, so you can customize it.

I used one, back in oldrim, called something like BrutalOffense, may have had "test" in it also. It was insane, the damage she did, but had to keep healing her because she'd never back off to defend herself. Might be worth a look at that one, and whatever one Brynjolf and the dual-wielding forsworn use, to see what the differences are in the slider positions.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the 'not always' seems interesting to me. Dunno about Inigo, but in ye olde Skyrim I could give Vilja two weapons and she would relatively consistently equip both and draw both. Get the newest SSE and the mod, and it seems more of a toss. She also prefers to pick up an iron shield off some bandit than use a second weapon that's been honed to do like 900 damage, via the usual abuses of smithing, enchanting and alchemy.

In fact, the only way I found to prevent her from picking up some wimpy shield if I don't loot every single shield, is to just forget about dual wielding and give her a two-hander.

Guess I should get Inigo instead. After all, any self respecting villain has to have a cat :wink:

Dualweilding is extremely sketchy in Skyrim vanilla engine. Vilja has a specific script to constantly check and coerc her to use 2nd weapon. Same with Recorder, she dualwields 90% of the time with her base weapons (2 ebony swords and a bow, her starting equipment). But trying to get Lydia or other base game followers to dual wield is a lost cause, even with perks.

I found Frea and attacked her. She almost immediately started dual wielding.

I installed Kristen Follower because she is supposed to dual wield but she doesn't. So I replaced Kristen's class and combat style with Frea but she still will not dual wield.

Does anyone know how the Vilja and/or Recorder scripts get them to dual wield. The script source is not available for either of them.

Update:

I copied Frea and made a follower out of her. When I simply draw my weapon she would only draw one axe but when we actually have something to fight she started dual wielding.

So I guess that was the problem I was having all along.

I think the problem is solved now. Thanks for all your help.

Edited by IWantMyMod