Fallout 4 Crashing on Exit

HUGHjarse66

Same problem here, I've been scouring the web for a way to fix it. Interestingly there was an identical issue in Fallout New Vegas at one point and someone simply pasted "bMultiThreadAudio=0" into the main ini and that fixed it. Not sure if it would be something similar with FO4, I have not tried to alter anything in the Fallout 4 ini since I don't know what I'm doing and would probably ruin something else in my game.

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue - new game, sorting load order, etc. and every time I quit (either to main menu or desktop) it freezes. I've been searching for a solution and I can't find anything! I'm wondering if it's connected to the most recent FO4 update? I didn't have an issue when I played in the beginning of January, I came back to install Sim Settlements Conqueror and the problem came up. Uninstalling that mod didn't help, hoping someone can figure out what's causing the issue!

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue - new game, sorting load order, etc. and every time I quit (either to main menu or desktop) it freezes. I've been searching for a solution and I can't find anything! I'm wondering if it's connected to the most recent FO4 update? I didn't have an issue when I played in the beginning of January, I came back to install Sim Settlements Conqueror and the problem came up. Uninstalling that mod didn't help, hoping someone can figure out what's causing the issue!

It might be that mod just installed it in a fresh save and this is the first time I've had this issue. It seems to only crash upon exit though so, I guess I can still play around.

• 3 months later...

I did figure it out for my system. I use Expanded Settlements mod which expands the settlement build limits. I was also using Transfer Settlements to add several very large settlement blueprints. The problem exiting started after I had added the 3rd or 4th large settlement to the save file. I now have two large settlements and built out the rest with just the basics. Since backing off the size of my settlements, I have not experienced the issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm another same here but, I think I have some extra bad news; Task manager ending the game or otherwise forcing it to close (with restarts/shutdowns) SEEM to damage the game, making more bugs appear and drop framerate, worsening each time you have to force close. Hoping this is not the case, as you'll just have to save then task manager anytime you want to quit. Otherwise... we may all be F#$ed

• 4 weeks later...

I have this problem too. I get a freeze on every exit, even when using console-qqq or alt-F4. I've been using ~50,000 mods for years but this is new.

Nothing from OP's modlist rings any bells.

I don't use settlement blueprints. I have increased one or two settlement budgets using "Increased Build Limit Enhanced 4K" https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13779, but I've never built more than ~105%.