Copying Mod Config from VR to SSE

Grestorn

Something I've been wondering for a while if and how it would be possible to copy a whole mod set config from one installed game to the other.

The usual case would be Skyrim VR and Skyrim SSE. They are both so similar so most of the mods work in both editions. You can even share the saved games.

My Skryim VR setup is rather complex, I really don't want to duplicate it manually ... especially since there's not even an easy way to get a simple list of installed mods which I could work through.

I thought about using LinkShellExtension to create a "Hardlink Clone" of the Texture, Meshes etc. directories. That would copy the whole directory structure but create hardlinks to the original files - which in turn are hardlinked to the mods' files. Same for .esp and .esm files. Then my hope would be that Vortex would auto discover the installed mods.

Would that work? What about dynamically created files like FNIS? They would be shared as well, which is probably less than ideal...

Is there another way? A better way maybe?

with my multi-instance setup of MO, i symlinked the contents (i.e. folders) of the `/mods/ folder of each instance` between other instances, (i.e. \Mods\instance1\Alternate Start - Bruma would get symlinked into \Mods\instance2\Alternate Start - Bruma). maybe that'll work?

i plan to do something similar with VO. In the case i don't find a satisfying solution for this, i'll just use VO for one main instance and MO2 for the others. Or i'll dump VO for MO2 entirely if MO2 gets loosefile-bsa-conflict-recognition sooner than VO.

Edited by kamikatze13

I tried this, but it didn't work. Since I cannot set the same mod directory for both game instances (i.e. where it unpacks the mod archives to), it also can't associate the hardlinks correctly.

I could hardlink the mod directories to be one and the same instance, but I'm pretty sure this will f*ck the whole Vortext mod database management. Do I'm not doing that. I guess without a proper solution by Tannin, I cannot do this right now.