Changing load order, adding/removing mods, how it's bad ?

MacBran

I read that changing the load order, adding, removing mods, midgame, is a bad idea.

But how bad ?

Is there some kinds of mod that can be added/removed without risk (or with less risk) ?

If I discover midgame that my load order is not good, is there some ways to fix it without screw up my game ?

It depends on what mods you are talking about... if it's just texture mods that's more than likely okay (e.g., WaterPlants, Skeletons 4K, etc.,) though that is not 100% especially when you are talking about large areas or volumes and/or meshes. Some follower mods, especially basic followers without customization and especially if you have not met or engaged or used a follower, would probably not have an effect. Other mods... especially with scripts or that have more complicated functions - get saved into your Saved Games Files. Some mods populate the game with their parts at the start of a game and may not populate into the game correctly when installed laters and doing so mid-game does not work was well (hence some mods require or HIGHLY RECOMMED beginning with new game - mod authors will generally say as much if you are the mod pages (… they will also let you know which mods you should not remove mid-game too). And, finally, some mods are more locked down once installed - being tied to where-when it was initially installed as well as where in the plug-in order they are moved after installed - follower mods and PC-NPC physical appearance and feature mods can be problematic - so if you remove them then reinstall - it mucks things up.

If you still want to... I recommend that you make an extra "CLEAN SAVE" (aka clean save is that extra save you make before changing anything - with all current mods installed while game is still functioning)… then turn-off (do not remove) mods you want to change and add a few you want to try adding) and see what happens - never overwriting that one save - because if things go wrong you will have a better chance removing all the new mods and turning-on old mods whose place in load order remains where it always was... and RESTARTING at the Clean Save - which can lead to better chances of getting original functioning game back if you are unhappy with results.... but remember - if your new mods were complicated and added scripts and other such - they do not always uninstall clean - just mostly - so going back to 'clean' old save and turning back on original mods has reasonable chance of success but not guaranteed.

Generally speaking, you should mod first - play test it a lot - mod and modify - and settle on a set of mods for the entire playthrough unless you are REALLY SURE that the mods in question are identified as okay to add and/or remove mid-game might arise OR have a ton of experience and can untangle hidden messes - and even then sometimes the messes would require more effort than it's worth

Ciao, Tyger