15 replies to this topic

WFRJ

WFRJ

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Looking at 32" monitors

I don't play fast games.  When I have time I play rpg only.

Never had a VA panel or an ISP only TN.

Is there a big difference in VA and ISP as color goes? 

Is gray2gray important in rpg's?

G-sync?

Advice?

Thanks 

GoliathUnit13074

GoliathUnit13074

Representing a harmless evil empire

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

IPS panels (Not ISP) tend to be the best of the three in terms of image quality and viewing angle. Since you're looking at nothing above 60 FPS, G-sync would just be an unnecessary expense. What screen resolution did you have in mind?

Edited by GoliathUnit13074, 15 June 2018 - 05:49 PM.

WFRJ

WFRJ

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

I have not looked at resolution too strongly.  I do not watch movies on my pc.  I suppose 4k is the thing to have but I am just after good monitor with a decent response time. I would not mind having 3840 x 2160.  I have always wanted to stay with 16:9 or the newer 1:78:1.

My vid card in 980ti.

I have loved my ASUS PB278 for several years but it now has a full vertical purple streak of dead so a good excuse to up the grade.

HeyYou

HeyYou

Resident poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,622 posts

What country do you live in? (where to buy becomes an issue.)

jones177

jones177

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 863 posts

Hi

I use a 32" LG 4k VA monitor. I bought it last cyber Monday for $350 at newegg.

With a 980 ti I played Skyrim SE at 4k with Reshade. Frame rate is in the 40s. Very playable.

If like me you only do 60fps gaming go 4k 32". 

All the 4k panels I have owned were excellent at 1440 as well.  

The downside to 4k gaming is that it takes a lot of GPU power. I now use a GTX 1080 ti. 

The other negative is that they are terrible at 1080 resolution. At least the ones I have owned(Samsung TN 28", ASUS TN 28" & LG VA 32").

For the type of games I play I prefer VA monitors. Although the next monitor I will buy will be a 3840 x 1600 IPS widescreen monitor if I get a deal next cyber Monday. 

Later 

WFRJ

WFRJ

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks for the information so far

I live in USA.

Acer Predator XB321HK  or  Asus PB328Q  or  LG 32GK850G-N  or  BenQ  PD3200U

I have never been a huge fan of Acer.

Edited by WFRJ, 17 June 2018 - 03:06 PM.

jones177

jones177

Old hand

• Premium Member
  • 863 posts

Hi

LG 32GK850G-N  This is an expensive 2560 x 1440 VA monitor with G-Sync. It is a high refresh rate monitor with the response time of a 60hz monitor. If you can get it on sale go for it($650).

ASUS PB328Q The specs on this panels make more sense than the LG. It is also a 2560 x 1440 VA. If I was in the market for a 2k monitor this would be at the top of my list. 

BenQ PD3200U is a 4k IPS monitor. If it had G-Sync it would be worth the price. Two of your choices are VA panels. Why not go for a cheaper 4k VA panel like I did(LG 32UD59-B 32")? 

If you are not planning to update your video card any time soon the ASUS PB328Q is your best choice. 

Later

WFRJ

WFRJ

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

I do like an Asus.

LG perhaps also.

Thandal

Thandal

Faithful Kobold Companion

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,202 posts

I have a 27" Dell S2716DG; G-Sync that I run at 2560x1440 ("2K") @ 144Hz from a GTX1060 w/6GB. 

At that resolution & refresh rate I see an avg. of 70-90 fps for most games with zero stutter or screen tearing.

Got it on sale for $499.

Points to remember:

a. 4K is the future.  More-and-more content will be developed/optimized for that resolution on BIG screens.

b. G-Sync vs. FreeSync; your GPU determines which you can use.  nVidia for the former, AMD for the latter.  No mix-n-match.  You can drive ANY monitor from either type of card, but to get the special "sync" function that eliminates the need for v-sync within the application you need the right one for the type you have.

Size and resolution being equal, G-Sync monitors are more expensive as they require an additional chip (licensed from nVidia) but Freesync ones impose more processing overhead so might not be quite as speedy.

WFRJ

WFRJ

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks

4k is the future.  I'll go with one that is 4k; however, I am still looking.  Never felt a need for G-sync...yet.

WR

Page loaded in: 0.736 seconds