Can you really really not create LOD for interiors?

Is it really impossible to create LOD for interiors?

I have a handful of interiors that need some LOD here and there, and I have no idea what to do. I just assumed it would be possible to create LOD for interiors as well, when I created them. D'oh!
I'm currently using Fog to hide the clipping, ...but that's not really optimal, especially since "Fog-removers" seem to be popular with players.

Any advice/tips/tricks?

You don’t generate LOD for interiors the same way you would for exterior worldspace cells, but it’s certainly possible to show LOD for interiors. There are several cells in the vanilla game that do this. The Boston Public Library and the Prydwen Command Deck come to mind. I did this for my Atom Cats Crib player home mod. It’s not hard, but does take a bit of trial and error to get things right...at least it did for me.

You can look at Lighting and Interior Data tabs in Cell window for either of those to see how to set it up. Essentially, you need to click the Show Sky box under Lighting, and make a selection for the LOD to show under the Exterior LOD Worldspace pull down menu.

The big thing is that you need to set the proper coordinates for the worldspace under the Offset coordinates entry, right next to the Exterior LOD Worldspace pull down. This corresponds to the position data of the worldspace location of the LOD you want to show. This is the trickiest part of the process to get right.

Lastly, you need to create an LOD Clip Volume and place it around the entire area of your cell. This prevents the LOD from being generated in your cell bounds, which is definitely not something you want. The LOD Clip Volume is generated with the last button on the right side (last button before the Time of Day slider) of the top button menu bar.

Like I said, see how the vanilla cells I mentioned are set up for this and it should get you on the right path.

Thanks for this very useful reply.

Not sure how, but it seems to work. Never messed with any of this stuff before, ever.

I still don't understand the coordinates part, but it looks 100 times better (After I remembered to do the last part in your post; create an LOD Clip Volume).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Just a small additional piece of info. In order for your coordinates to work correctly, there should be a North Marker in the mentioned cell. Otherwise, you will set coordinates, but the position of cell's pivot point and azimuth orientation will actually stay at 0. In other words, you'll see the difference in cell positioning across LOD background with other numbers only if you place a North Marker in cell.

Finding the right LOD coordinates is a time consuming and painful job tbh, but as RedRocketTV said you need to place the NorthMarker (which should point into the right direction) and the LODClipVolume before you go to the LOD coordinates. Changing the LOD coordinates sometimes requires hitting F5 to refresh the renderwindow. You can also take a look at my Riverside Apartment mod, which has a working interior LOD near Diamond City, and probarly copy the coordinates.

Edited by drmwayne

Thanks for the help!

Yes, those coordinates does seem a bit overwhelming at first...

I played around with the settings.
My interiors are underground. I am able to achieve what I need, by rightclicking my cell/s in cellview -> Edit -> in the "Lighting" tab, ticking "Show Sky" and setting Region to "DefaultInteriorRegion". That's it.

I'm sure this does something horrible and wrong to my mod.... :D