Q about writing your own notes on a mod

Ok, I guess I should enquire further, to see how this should get fixed, because this seems to be a use case I don't understand:

Why do you want to set a note (or any meta information for that matter) for a mod that you don't even have installed? Why don't you have the mod installed? What did you download for if you're not using it?

Assume you could set a note for an uninstalled mod: What should happen when you do install it, should the note carry over?

Scenario:

a) You download mod_1_0.zip (which has a fomod installer with customizations)

b) you set a note for the uninstalled mod_1_0.zip

c) you install the mod, calling it "mod_1k"

-> q1) does mod_1_0_1k now have the same note as mod_1_0.zip or an empty one?

d) you install the mod again with different settings, not replacing the existing install but renaming it "mod_2k". So you now have two mods, mod_1k and mod_2k, both installed from mod_1_0.zip

e) You change the note on mod_1k

-> q2) does this affect the note on mod_2k as well?

f) You install the mod again, calling it "mod_4k".

-> q3) does this new mod now have the note you originally set when the file was not yet installed? or the one you set on mod_1k?

g) You download an update of the mod "mod_1_1.zip"

-> q4) does this new download now have the same note as mod_1_0.zip or an empty one?

h) You change the note on mod_1_1.zip

-> q5) does this affect any of the installed mods?

i) You update mod_2k to 1.1, but not mod_1k and mod_4k

-> q6) does this overwrite the note you had previously set on mod_2k or not?

The relation between downloads and mods isn't 1-to-1, every download can be installed 0, 1 or many times and a download can be used to update a mod, which currently doesn't change meta data from the updated mod, because that could cause you to loose data.

But if meta information from a download may not even be kept when using the download to upgrade, does it really make sense to even invest too much time into maintaining them?

Thanks Tannin42 that is probably it - I had not installed the mod.

You asked: Why do you want to set a note...for a mod that you don't even have installed?
I'm just building the game and I wont be installing most of the mods until after the cart ride.
I usually do it in the cave just before I leave Helgen; I dont want to overload the game during the scripted opening sequences.
I'm sure you are aware if the game is installing and initialising a lot of mods at that time it can seriously disrupt the physics of the cart ride.
The reason I wanted to put a note on it was because there was no data and I expected I would forget what it is before time came to install it.
I dont necessarily install a mod immediately after I download it.
It will be several days before it will be time to begin the game and only then will I be installing many of the mods I want to use.
So I want the mods in Vortex and ready to go when the time comes.
I only install certain core mods before the beginning - USSEP, SkyUI, etc.
Maybe I should install but not enable them?
Maybe the option to add a note should only become available after the mod is installed from the archive
In other words the note should not be added to the downloaded file data -- but only to the installed data (whether enabled or not)
------------------
Very curious follow up. I went looking for the ID and there was none. In fact the only info on the data pane was a version number (2.00). All the other fields were empty. So I went to Nexus and redownloaded the mod (a patch for The Choice is Yours) and deleted the original one.
The newly download version has full info in the data pane!
I have no idea what happen there?
Thanks all for replies