Porting from "Oldrim"

Jambo11

What is required for a mod for regular Skyrim to be ported to Skyrim Special Edition?

I have a mod that I made for regular Skyrim that added an entryway armory to Lakeview Manor, and I don't want to have to completely remake for Skyrim SE.

For simple things (like a single ESP) it just takes re-saving in the SE Creation Kit. Mesh/.Nif files needed to be put through Nif Optimizer. Textures and scripts are fine. Just repack them with the new CK or deploy them loose if you want. Animation files need to be converted with Bethesda built in tool (HavokBehaviorPostProcess) in the SE folder.. but it's individual file conversion. Someone made a batch script for multiple files, but I know nothing of it personally. SKSE mods are the most complex.. and I know nothing of that as well. The kind that use dll plugins will take rebuilding, but the average ones will work well enough just by converting the ESP and packing the scripts.

For simple things (like a single ESP) it just takes re-saving in the SE Creation Kit. Mesh/.Nif files needed to be put through Nif Optimizer. Textures and scripts are fine. Just repack them with the new CK or deploy them loose if you want. Animation files need to be converted with Bethesda built in tool (HavokBehaviorPostProcess) in the SE folder.. but it's individual file conversion. Someone made a batch script for multiple files, but I know nothing of it personally. SKSE mods are the most complex.. and I know nothing of that as well. The kind that use dll plugins will take rebuilding, but the average ones will work well enough just by converting the ESP and packing the scripts.

Unfortunately, trying to load the ESP in the new Creation Kit results in the program crashing.

f***k...

I was hoping it would work.

Unfortunately, trying to load the ESP in the new Creation Kit results in the program crashing.

Make sure that all necessary masterfiles (I guess in this case at least Lakeview Manor) are present in SE. Also install the complete mod in SE, not only the .esp file. Then try again. Usually this works.

What do you mean, "not only the esp file?"

The mod is nothing but an esp file.

BTW, I tried again to load the mod in the SE creation kit, making sure to check Hearthfires and Skyrim SE, but it still crashes.

I tried loading it in SSEEdit, but it wouldn't load.

Mind you, the mod worked just fine in regular Skyrim, so I don't know what the hell is going on.

Figured it out!

It had a few dependencies in addition to Skyrim.esm and Hearthfires.esm.

Got rid of them, and it loaded up just fine.

Unfortunately, it's now introducing a duplicate interior to Lakeview Manor, which makes sense, since it doesn't have the same Form IDs.