Hi.

this is an observation about 'unique actor' quest aliases that's just caused me hours of frustration. I've a question about it too.

So, I set up two quests, both in my own branch node in story manager, as a change location event. The first worked beautifully, the second refused to start. I tried all sorts and eventually found the problem was down to specifying 'Calcelmo' in Markarth as a unique actor alias. Checking the 'optional' box for this alias allowed the quest to run. I'd have preferred to use the 'allow reserved' box but this option was not available.

I mention this so other people don't have the same frustration that I've just had.

My question is about marking this alias as 'optional'. It absolutely isn't optional ! The player must engage with Calcelmo and ask him about some Dwemer stuff that they've found. I'm going to try to set up this part along the lines of Urag Gro-Shub's Falmer book quests and use vanilla dialogue lines from Calcelmo's voice type (MaleOldKindly). Now I know that Calcelmo is always hanging around outside the Markarth excavation site unless the player is doing the agent of Mara Riften quest when he will run off to visit his love interest but that ought not to be a problem. Calcelmo is always essential, so I shouldn't be worried about him being dead!

Will leaving this alias as 'optional' cause any problems and is there a better way of getting this alias to fill that gets me around having to make it optional?

P.S. I hate the new 'captcha' logging in process. My eyesight is dodgy, the images are poor quality and the audio checks don't play for me! From what I've heard, captcha doesn't work very well anyway, so it's just an added irritation for the members.

Optional shouldn't cause any problems for what you are doing, in fact it's a method for troubleshooting most aliases issues that fail to fill the alias(helps track down which alias isn't filling).

Also to enable the "allowed reserved" option, try pressing CTRL+SHIFT+R

This will allow Calcelmo to be filled into that alias(assuming he is a reserved alias in another quest).

Edited by Rasikko

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for that.

Sorry about the late reply. Calcelmo is working fine now, uses his dialogue lines and the quest completes.

The reason I couldn't use the 'allow reserved' option was that in desperation, I'd made the quest temporarily start game enabled to see if it would work. Once I got it to work I set that back to starting from the story manager and I could use that option. I've no idea why this option is unavailable for start game enabled quests but it is!