Is it normal for 1h weapons to do so much damage? [Legendary Difficulty]

DoubleTroubIe

I'm using mods but not any that truly change or buff combat.

I leveled smithing & enchanting to 100. Created a 100% smithing boost set and wore those to create & upgrade my dual wield axes.

After crafting them, I created a Daedric armor set and enchanted 4 total pieces with 40% 1h damage boost each (gloves, boots, ring, necklace).

I've leveled & put perks into 1h so I have the 100% damage boost there as well.

At level 55 the damage each of these axes do is 297.

So... I ask: Is this normal?

On Legendary difficulty I do still have to watch my HP and play smart but I still DESTROY most enemies with this build.

Edited by doubletroubleswtor

the thing you need to keep in mind is that (as far as I know) the damage you see in the inventory doesn't actually reflect the damage you do (I believe there are mods for floating damage like in Borderlands , or healthbars with values , so you can actually see the real damage values)

having said that , it is most certainly possible to reach obscene amounts of damage

I remember a playthrough where I had an upgraded dragonbone bow with a damage of almost 500

so it is very much possible to create these outrageous builds , especially if you use exploits (like the alchemy crafting and enchanting exploits)

the way difficulty works in these games is by setting a multiplier on damage outputs by you and by any other NPC

so you should still be doing a massive amount of damage even with the multiplier , but enemies will still deal massive amounts themselves (and they don't need legendary upgraded weapons to do this)

it's just the wonky way in which Bethesda does difficulty

the thing you need to keep in mind is that (as far as I know) the damage you see in the inventory doesn't actually reflect the damage you do (I believe there are mods for floating damage like in Borderlands , or healthbars with values , so you can actually see the real damage values)

having said that , it is most certainly possible to reach obscene amounts of damage

I remember a playthrough where I had an upgraded dragonbone bow with a damage of almost 500

so it is very much possible to create these outrageous builds , especially if you use exploits (like the alchemy crafting and enchanting exploits)

the way difficulty works in these games is by setting a multiplier on damage outputs by you and by any other NPC

so you should still be doing a massive amount of damage even with the multiplier , but enemies will still deal massive amounts themselves (and they don't need legendary upgraded weapons to do this)

it's just the wonky way in which Bethesda does difficulty

Got it, thanks for the explanation. Nice to know that this is how the game works and not something I fudged up.

I am struggling with selecting a dagger weapon because all daggers have very underwhelmed damage in stat. But I have to keep reminding myself not too fixated on that number.

I have floating damage mod and also floating health bar. I know, it feels like MMORPG, but on the flip side, it really helps knowing enemies' total HP and how much damage I do. I can turn it off whenever I want (require a game restart though).

I am struggling with selecting a dagger weapon because all daggers have very underwhelmed damage in stat. But I have to keep reminding myself not too fixated on that number.

I have floating damage mod and also floating health bar. I know, it feels like MMORPG, but on the flip side, it really helps knowing enemies' total HP and how much damage I do. I can turn it off whenever I want (require a game restart though).

daggers are naturally weaker , have a shorter reach , but are the fastest weapons you can have

though they are usually best for sneak attacks (especially with perk mods that enhance daggers specifically , over other 1 handed weapons)

don't think I've ever used daggers for melee , but I've never really done a melee build in Skyrim (will probably try it in the future)

but as is usually the case , either get the most powerful artifact you can (there are mods that change specific items to different types) , or just get the best one you can craft\buy . it won't be as great as an axe\sword , but if you play smart it could be far better (as an example , a 1 or 2 seconds paralyze enchantment will probably mean stun locking an enemy till death)

Yep, this is why it is harder to select a dagger. In traditional sense, higher base damage = better weapon. 2h weapon is a no brainer, but we know we would sacrifice a shield slot or left hand spell slot. So we understand 1h is gimped comparing to 2h weapon to gain (and free up) left hand. But the problem with dagger is that it is also classed as 1h weapon. So in this case, it is rather underwhelmed. I just jumped to Ordinator as well, so I still do not know too well how dagger talent would really work for me in game.

Stun lock? Are we still in Skyrim? Hmmm, this show I didn't progress very far in Skyrim's melee in my entire Skyrim's career.

Yep, this is why it is harder to select a dagger. In traditional sense, higher base damage = better weapon. 2h weapon is a no brainer, but we know we would sacrifice a shield slot or left hand spell slot. So we understand 1h is gimped comparing to 2h weapon to gain (and free up) left hand. But the problem with dagger is that it is also classed as 1h weapon. So in this case, it is rather underwhelmed. I just jumped to Ordinator as well, so I still do not know too well how dagger talent would really work for me in game.

Stun lock? Are we still in Skyrim? Hmmm, this show I didn't progress very far in Skyrim's melee in my entire Skyrim's career.

actually , two handed weapons are that great either

sure they do more damage , but they swing really really slowly

and since enemies can in fact cancel your attacks with stuns , slow weapons are at a severe disadvantage in such a case

there is no best weapon in the game in my opinion

1hd swords appear to be an all rounded favorite , being really fast and with decent damage , but you can make a good build using each style of weapons , if you use the correct perks and enchantments (a good perk overhaul or combat overhaul also helps)

actually , two handed weapons are that great either

sure they do more damage , but they swing really really slowly

and since enemies can in fact cancel your attacks with stuns , slow weapons are at a severe disadvantage in such a case

there is no best weapon in the game in my opinion

1hd swords appear to be an all rounded favorite , being really fast and with decent damage , but you can make a good build using each style of weapons , if you use the correct perks and enchantments (a good perk overhaul or combat overhaul also helps)

Do you ever try to branch out? I am trying. I realized in most of my games I am always drawn to magic and sneaky stuff. In Dragon Age, all 3-4 playthrough are magic users. In Mass Effect, all my characters have Biotic (kind of like magic in that universe). In FO4, I am sneaking and sniping. Only got into a power armor like ... 3 times in my 1500 hours of FO4. So in SKyrim, it's all about sneak+bow+magic.

Yes, 1h weapon is always my thing. It's a symbol of status as well. My town outfit is some kind of noble outfit + a sword. But I am trying to play something different. No magic, less dependent on bows, trying to backstab, trying to be a heavy geared warrior with heavy armors and a gigantic weapon. But right now, I am just trying to be a 1h melee user first.

in fact , I am branching out in games

my usual character (and you can look at my user name for proof of this) is using sneaking and sniping (and I made this user back in 2009 , but I still prefer that style of character)

so if the game is set in older times (before guns were a thing , like in the ES games) I would go for a bow and sneaking around

however , that isn't to say that this has been my playstyle in all of these games

I've played ES games as a mage , in Dragon Age I've played as an archer , a mage , a melee assassin and more

in Mass Effect I actually tried the sniper class , but ended up not using the sniper rifle at all . in fact , I've finished the games using most classes , from the guns ho soldier to the biotic experts , and my last playthrough were with the vanguard (completely different from how I usually play games , but it was a lot of fun)

however , the reason for me to use such builds in games like Fallout is due to 3 reasons . back when I started playing such games (when FO3 was released) , the aiming mechanics in these games were so bad , I had to rely on VATS to shoot (otherwise the combat itself wasn't just not fun , it was actually a chore) . however , sniping was still possible , and it was the only way to actually aim in that game . so I chose that

second is the fact that ammo is limited . I'm not about to throw the little ammo I have by spraying and praying like some brain dead raider

and last , it was due to the obscene approach of Bethesda to difficulty (and how enemies are just absurd damage sponges in higher difficulties)

in FO4 , playing with mods that increase the damage multipliers (for both the player and enemies) , I was able to use semi auto rifles (I absolutely love the Radium rifle , and it helps that the .45 ammo is common and quite cheap)

so I've used such weapons (though I still prefer to go semi auto and sneaky , rather than full auto)

I don't think I've ever really done a full melee build in games though (aside from games like Dark Souls , in which I'm mostly doing straight up melee builds)

I'm considering trying to do a full playthrough in SSE as a heavy armor , sword and board user

not sure how well it's going to be , considering the difficulty mods I'm using , but I'm very interested in seeing how well that will work out for me