(re)Playing New Vegas & In Need Of Mod Recommendation [2018]

FanaticalHippie

Hello there community!

It's been a few years since I played New Vegas, or anything Fallout to be precise. I decided to revisit my favorite Fallout game and since I've got newer hardware I thought why not pump it full o' mods.
For some time in the past I used to follow a couple of youtubers that showcased mods and few that caught my eye were first person animation overhauls and some graphics mods.
So if any of you kind people could share/recommend/make me a good, up-to-date mod list, I'd be eternally grateful :laugh:
I'm going for a semi-realistic playthrough (meaning that I don't want a hardcore experience but I also don't want anime looking characters, bullet sponge enemies etc.)

PC specs are as follows:

GPU: GTX 1050ti OC
CPU: FX 8300
RAM: 10 gigs of DDR3 1333MHz

Edited by FanaticalHippie

If it's been some time since you last played, recommend you at least see the 'Common Game Problems' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. But it wouldn't hurt to read the whole article just to remind yourself of the differences from other more recent games you may have played (such as the lower plugin cap). The current "essentials" are listed there.

-Dubious-

Be careful with graphics mods. Your system may have 10 GB of RAM but FNV will only use 2 GB out of that. You can get the 4 GB extender, but since FNV is a 32 bit program that's as far as you can go with it. FNV's texture caching system seems to leak memory even without mods, and if you play long enough, the game will often crash just because it runs out of memory. Using higher resolution textures makes your game look better, but it also makes the texture memory leak problem worse and leads to more frequent crashes. It's a bit of a trade-off between having a pretty game or having a stable game. Some people prefer a prettier game and are willing to put up with a crash or two every night. I personally went for stability over graphics, and I can usually play all night without a crash.

If you are using mods, even if they aren't graphics mods, you are probably still going to want the 4GB patch.

You're also going to want NVAC (New Vegas Anti-Crash).

Definitely read through Dubious's link. After that, it's just personal preference. My advice is to put mods in one at a time and see how you like them. There are so many mods out there that tweak so many different things that it's difficult to come up with any kind of "must have" list of mods. You can tailor the game how you like it, and what you like is going to be different than what others like.

Once you have a setup that you like, then start a new game with that configuration and go with it. Adding or removing mods in the middle of a playthrough can sometimes cause issues, so try to avoid that as much as possible.

Edit: One more thing. What I always do is after first installing the game, I copy the entire game folder somewhere so that I have an original that I can easily get back to without having to download the whole thing from Steam again. Then, when I get a stable mod configuration that I like, I also copy that entire game folder so that I can easily get back to that as well. It takes a bit of disk space, but most systems have gobs of disk space these days so it's no biggie.

Edited by madmongo