A Question About Textures

meatbag58

A few years back, I downloaded a weapon mod from someone on this site. I decided I wanted to remove part of the weapon's stock. I imported it to blender, removed the vertices and faces i didn't like, saved it as a .obj, imported it back into nifskope, and from there, added it to the GECK. Unfortunately, something happened to the texture. Now the lighting is just plain weird, and it looks even worse in-game. Below are the before and after images.

Before

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ieykSGtQd5PW30j0a6B1LGgfRcaYtLuFNryrfd3m_s-QsDpSN-LBMIqu60Jhg2raEoS1QWp7RedeqWK6UR0O3cy4eBuYkZGssb9FhKDBp-ez3FZcI4Y73x82fyqNTVvEp7hLVLL0A6fjRUDU7JVr0QHZhxrM-Clp2j2zVxjEJgJbOAp85lSIh-SizDDD8kn_uH2aXabBC2zZEhWxPZItZfpMTSDPUpzBu196ndjN4g6navj9k8JH78IlYTuqJfVOsLgkCbp8Y98K0Ofg2XgTJCrPcQH3oboLr4Lv0ArhpAm4poSknkITLsG84j5xmD790UtQVFCMuzgM_Q3YVb4GYr8W7i4QQdBrZXZGyCcopuXphbPHlhawXkd67mz48MdYUeI3R-xjHA_lJ9zD5JHywrhY51QBKUWve2yMR3fmP9MV8LK-EGjglv7mEyYdKaPBUDqx-U2m0zFAjdYrPAP1N5zs7ThiBx5hn5ng-NEOONV88yBUCudoPVRHqjj9DBaLn0avqa2VkPGWC4qD5nSf7DiY_ZLpqZjEajfmRyTROzOp_zxImbEePILo7zmSpAWgjrOPRaZRb-GcP-SQx8mMHKCakE53VP_fxPlpIC0=w625-h457-no

After

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/44w7KglBgLJyxUnPCfOlCFyDLsHONBVQ4_UsO3Qtm5p-WC_EaiwMgUpqObvbm9INqaPH0JRUZaz5vs4ziANcliOPGmy0envR7drx49MHqLuY3rzcMYU1USylGAvDetA1rJUSgSVgT7C7NpPBWyudCtswa4Ek-01uDpu0W5H0vo2uK2N3rqZ7LjB8DQaIeVHQUe1aAiHvlM5Y00VPeI5Z-Czs6bu1ZMQ0mq9eYUgnoLuFZepeWwqkq_vP9f6EO32lnZA_R6GICwCr97Whw9Uu3InCL9j794rWedlLV97sKxmib8dknl5p76MzkP_0bAzK5Mwkyq8hS_DLW5xsZxWr1aA6JFazepAPRedciDdZ_j95oIndHen190X8F19IlIaSHBA2b9-YoTkDdoiJS23rw0vYpG-7lEgnNQnsqAoUw6XxrrluSq-KHg6y3x_1WqSOwvlAnOG49x4Ab_fuvP1VG9wTVscLjUAy6dYKoQY63cQfHbR3Z1l6EsIcWTJS4GPGQMaSy5wbF2N2bnzl0OHZTH8bXp-wEQBQVVD35fnNftOUbGWjFCM3jiXa0bWWFRKpTCE4Oz4SQV35h78Ns0fbJXZnevHHGGZreucuC-s=w625-h457-no

Something went wrong in all of this, but I can't figure out what I've forgotten.

It's hard to see what's wrong there as the images are kind of small. Does it look fine in NifSkope? If so, then try checking against the NiMaterialProperty node's values from the original, and check the shader flags (in the BSShaderPPLightingProperty node). Could be gloss or specular. If it's none of those, check the alpha channel on your normal map and maybe make it darker.

It's hard to see what's wrong there as the images are kind of small. Does it look fine in NifSkope? If so, then try checking against the NiMaterialProperty node's values from the original, and check the shader flags (in the BSShaderPPLightingProperty node). Could be gloss or specular. If it's none of those, check the alpha channel on your normal map and maybe make it darker.

OK, I'll look into these areas and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Edited by meatbag58

Wait, didn't realise you hadn't altered the textures. The normal map has to be fine in that case, so it's almost certainly one of the things in the NIF that I mentioned.

Thanks for the heads up. I checked the NiMaterialProperty and NiMaterialShader and made them the same values as the original model. It made the model white, and causes the GECK to crash when I try to load it. I haven't been able to find the BSShaderPPLightingProperty. I'm still looking, but I'm not sure if either model ever had one.

Also, I updated these images. Please let me know if they're alright (the original model is the one with a stock, the new one with the texture problem is the one without a stock).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YnEUfSPELtQKqjAKA

I just noticed something else about that white texture; when I change the property values to reflect those of the original, it changes from "BSShader..." to "NiMateri..." I am not sure what those abbreviations stand for, or how to stop them from changing. I'm updating the pictures to show what I mean. They should be the last couple of images.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YnEUfSPELtQKqjAKA

I'm guessing that the export process ordered the blocks differently, so if you find a NiMaterialProperty in a NiNode marked 5 in your new model, it doesn't mean it's the same NiMaterialProperty that's attached to the NiNode marked 5 in the original model. You'd have to click on the pieces of the mesh to see where each thing is in order to match up the values the way I suggested.

You can expand the Name column and I think you'd see BSShaderPPLightingProperty at the same level as NiMaterialProperty.

Looking at the new images, they're much easier to see, and I think you may somehow have the textures mismatched or something. That looks like of like a mesh with a normal map that doesn't use normal map conventions, meaning it looks like a mesh that has a diffuse map image in the normal map slot. Can't be sure, obviously, but meshes that have this problem tend to look like that. You'd want to find the BSShaderPPLightingProperty node and then expand it to find BSShaderTextureSet to change the textures.

[...] I imported it to blender, removed the vertices and faces i didn't like, saved it as a .obj, imported it back into nifskope, and from there, added it to the GECK.

Importing .obj into Nifskope often result in problem, this function isn't optimal, especially in other version than 1.1.3.

Blender (2.49 best used for FO3 and FNV) has nif utilities that allows to save directly in .nif format.