A Question About Textures

meatbag58

[...] I imported it to blender, removed the vertices and faces i didn't like, saved it as a .obj, imported it back into nifskope, and from there, added it to the GECK.

Importing .obj into Nifskope often result in problem, this function isn't optimal, especially in other version than 1.1.3.

Blender (2.49 best used for FO3 and FNV) has nif utilities that allows to save directly in .nif format.

I'll try that. The version I used was 2.78. My version of 2.49 doesnt have an option to export as a nif, but I'll look for one.

I'm guessing that the export process ordered the blocks differently, so if you find a NiMaterialProperty in a NiNode marked 5 in your new model, it doesn't mean it's the same NiMaterialProperty that's attached to the NiNode marked 5 in the original model. You'd have to click on the pieces of the mesh to see where each thing is in order to match up the values the way I suggested.

You can expand the Name column and I think you'd see BSShaderPPLightingProperty at the same level as NiMaterialProperty.

Looking at the new images, they're much easier to see, and I think you may somehow have the textures mismatched or something. That looks like of like a mesh with a normal map that doesn't use normal map conventions, meaning it looks like a mesh that has a diffuse map image in the normal map slot. Can't be sure, obviously, but meshes that have this problem tend to look like that. You'd want to find the BSShaderPPLightingProperty node and then expand it to find BSShaderTextureSet to change the textures.

I think I found what you were talking about. Problem is, I think they're using the same texture. If I change the numbers to match, the whole thing turns white again. (Sorry about this album method of sharing images, my computer doesn't like imgur much. Should be the last two images).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YnEUfSPELtQKqjAKA

[...] I imported it to blender, removed the vertices and faces i didn't like, saved it as a .obj, imported it back into nifskope, and from there, added it to the GECK.

Importing .obj into Nifskope often result in problem, this function isn't optimal, especially in other version than 1.1.3.

Blender (2.49 best used for FO3 and FNV) has nif utilities that allows to save directly in .nif format.

OK, i guess my version of Blender 2.49 really does not have nif import/export functionality. Do you know where I can download that?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a site.

Edited by meatbag58

I've only used the Portable one linked on that page in my post, and never had any problems. Here are my settings for importing a weapon. Note I've never edited a weapon for this game, though I've done everything else, so I'm only confirming that the model gets imported and has its textures and collision.

https://prnt.sc/jxdgrm

These settings are almost identical to the default ones if I recall, but maybe that's because I'm using Portable.

Weird that the newer upload didn't work for you, Pix, as they're both LHammonds. You use Windows XP if I recall? Could that have something to do with it?

I use 10, to be clear.

I linked to a section of Dubious's page that includes two Blender packages. One of them is the Portable one, which I use, and the other is a newer LHammonds upload, which I would have expected to be like your link but better. I imagine your link works fine; I thought you were saying the ones I linked had not worked for you, so I was saying perhaps they don't work well on XP or something.

In addition to OS stuff, it occurred to me that the newer LHammonds one could simply have been his upload for New Vegas, which would of course have to be newer than something uploaded in 2008. Says he updated your link in 2010, though, so who knows.

Edited by EPDGaffney