A Question About Textures

meatbag58

OK, good news and bad news. Good news is, I've gotten the blender 2.4 to export and import nifs. I appreciate everyone's help with that, because that part worked like a charm. I put it into blender, removed the stock, put into nifskope, added the other smaller nifs I wanted to add to it, then put it into the GECK.

The bad news is that now when I open it in the GECK, I get one of those big red exclamation mark "error" signs. Never thought removing a stock on a weapon would be this hard.

I don't think I ever remember seeing that unless it can't even find the model. Did you definitely set that model as the one for the weapon? Things you're likely to see if it doesn't work are a crash or the mesh is simply invisible, to my recollection at least.

If it's not working and the model is selected for that weapon, then make sure the shader flags are correct (check against the original weapon). After that, the NIF tree is the next thing to check. Not sure about weapons as i never work with them, but at least for armours, things can export with duplicate roots and such. The other thing to look out for is your export settings. I was assuming you knew how to do that as you hadn't asked, but it's possible that didn't go so well. Weapons should have a BSFadeNode as their roots, and armours should have NiNode.

Never thought removing a stock on a weapon would be this hard.

Sounds about right. Good news is once you have the procedure, it actually is really easy. But it's a pain the first time for sure.

Edited by EPDGaffney

I have always said that the GECK is actually a secret Vault-Tec experiment designed to test modder's frustration levels. :wallbash:

There's a bit of a learning curve with both the GECK and Blender, but once you figure them out, doing things like removing a weapon stock becomes easy.

I have always said that the GECK is actually a secret Vault-Tec experiment designed to test modder's frustration levels. :wallbash:

There's a bit of a learning curve with both the GECK and Blender, but once you figure them out, doing things like removing a weapon stock becomes easy.

Good to know. Thanks man.

I've been looking around the internet, and I think I may have found something. Fallout 3/New Vegas use nif format 20.2.0.7, while blender 2.49 exports in nif format 20.0.0.5. I don't suppose anyone knows how to convert a 20.0.0.5 format nif into a 20.2.0.7 format?

Well, I found a way to export from blender as a 20.2.0.7 nif, but it just makes the textures black in nifskope and crashes the GECK. I checked the UV maps, nothing's changed. If I can't fix that, I'll have to focus on converting 20.0.0.5 to 20.2.0.7, though I'm not sure if there's a way to do that without encountering the same problem. I'm not sure where to go from here.

Edited by meatbag58

I'd say give me your file, but weapons are one of the only things I've never done for this game. Still, I'll see what happens when I export. You can save it as a .blend if you want. I'd want it before the export process, so uploading your current, modified NIF is grand, but you should upload more than just that. Even the original weapon if you like. Removing the stock is as easy as selecting all its contiguous parts I imagine. I'm working on someone else's thing right now, so I mayn't get to this immediately. But someone else may feel inclined.

I've been looking around the internet, and I think I may have found something. Fallout 3/New Vegas use nif format 20.2.0.7, while blender 2.49 exports in nif format 20.0.0.5. I don't suppose anyone knows how to convert a 20.0.0.5 format nif into a 20.2.0.7 format?

This is new to me. (Modding more on the FO3 side) Have you tried to simply change it in NifSkope?