Enemy Within Won't Start

Thelonewolfn

When i try to run Enemy Within i get a message the application stopped working.
Thats strange because enemy unknown works 100% fine.
I'm using Vista 32bit, intel core 2 duo, 4gb ram, GF 9650GT. Low i know.

I tried to star the game without connecting to the internet but it didn't help.
Tried to reinstall the game, move the XEW folder, hack the exe file to work on XP, and even using a "Patch", but it didn't help.

There must be some way to run Enemy Within.
Maybe i'm missing some app or something ??
I had a similiar problem with Bastion, but after instaling XNA it was fixed.
Any Idea ?

Thanks for the help.

Please see the "Basic Guide to installing mods"; the "Environment" section in particular. Absolutely DO NOT install into the default "C:\Program Files" folders.

32-bit may require BOOT.INI changes to use more than 2GB of memory. See this 2-4GB game memory limits and solutions article.

Some games try to install an older DX version they come bundled with. Those versions may not be compatible with the later versions of Windows, which is why you should manually install the version you know is compatible. Then those games will see that DX version is already installed and not try to install their bundled version causing incompatibility problems.

EW came along a couple of years after EU and may (I don't recall off the top of my head) have some new requirements.

Please see the "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" wiki article and in particular the section about "Windows Event Log" messages. We need to see what the OS is complaining about.

You really should upgrade to at least Win7. Vista had a lot of problems even before some of the malware vulnerabilities MS is attempting to patch now.

-Dubious-

I read and tried those. Didn't Help.

This is the log file of the game.

Log: Log file open, 06/24/18 01:07:29
Init: WinSock: version 1.1 (2.2), MaxSocks=32767, MaxUdp=65467
Log: ... running in INSTALLED mode
DevConfig: GConfig::Find has loaded file: ..\..\Engine\Config\ConsoleVariables.ini
Init: Version: 8917
Init: Epic Internal: 0
Init: Compiled (32-bit): Mar 5 2014 14:01:21
Init: Changelist: 1100000
Init: Command line: -FROMLAUNCHER -LANGUAGE=INT
Init: Base directory: D:\xcom enemy unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\
Init: FxsChangelist: 402256
Init: SeekfreeLoading: 1
Init: Platform: PCConsole
Init: TitleId: 200510
[0003.70] Init: Computer: PC
[0010.34] Log: === Critical error: ===
Fatal error!

Address = 0x755521dc (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll]
Address = 0x7555232a (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll]
Address = 0x75552254 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\Secur32.dll]
Address = 0x75e431c5 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\ADVAPI32.dll]
Address = 0xdfca95 (filename not found) [in D:\xcom enemy unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe]
Address = 0x1040878 (filename not found) [in D:\xcom enemy unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe]
Address = 0xc7724f8c (filename not found)
Address = 0xb1a52 (filename not found)
Address = 0x2f1d800 (filename not found)
Address = 0x2f1d800 (filename not found)

I have those files in those directories and tried to fix windows registry.

And this is the error:

277bacec1305b32dac0282298b63573818e95ff2

The "filename not found" errors are indicating those named DLLs are looking for some other filename and not finding them. This is suggestive that you have installed a version that is incompatible.

The Windows error message indicates your system is using Polish as the native language. Is the version of EW also the same "regional" language version as EU? If not, contact Steam about obtaining the correct language version.

If you need to change the game so you can play in a more familiar language than English and are not using TexMod, then use your Steam Client to go to the "Steam Library" and Right-click on "XCOM: Enemy Unknown". Select "Properties" for the game. For:

• Enemy Unknown -> Go to the LANGUAGE tab and select the desired language. Expect around 200 MB of new data to be downloaded.
  • Enemy Within -> The same as for "Enemy Unknown".

Alternatively you can click on SET LAUNCH OPTIONS under the "Properties" GENERAL tab and input your language there. This will skip the 200 MB download intended for EU. But it will require you to launch the game from the Steam Overlay instead of in "offline mode". (Tested with the French language.)

-Dubious-

No other app needed. Try installing using "English", then once you get past the main menu the second time (the first time some additional files get installed), switch to your preferred language.

Other than the distribution chain and DRM mechanism, the game is the same between GOG and Steam. Substitute "GOG Support" wherever anyone says "Steam Support". However, I would expect problems if you got EU from Steam and EW from GOG (or vice versa). EW is basically a "DLC" to EU. The folder paths have to be consistent.

-Dubious-

No other app needed. Try installing using "English", then once you get past the main menu the second time (the first time some additional files get installed), switch to your preferred language.

Other than the distribution chain and DRM mechanism, the game is the same between GOG and Steam. Substitute "GOG Support" wherever anyone says "Steam Support". However, I would expect problems if you got EU from Steam and EW from GOG (or vice versa). EW is basically a "DLC" to EU. The folder paths have to be consistent.

-Dubious-

You misunderstood me. I bought the GoG version of "X-Com Enemy Unknown Complete Pack" which contains Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within.

There both in the same folder. I tried installing it in English, and in Polish but it didn't help.

Enemy Unknown works perfectly, but the expension Enemy Within simpli won't start.

And that's weary strange.

Any way i can fix it.

Indeed that IS very strange. One certainly expects bundled versions to work together. Unfortunately I have no information to help you with this. It definitely sounds like something to take up with GOG Support. Be sure to tell them which "regional" version you have as well as what you have tried to resolve it.

-Dubious-