How to solve general CTD issues. Not a question.

joshkes

this is an info from an nmm user. maybe he is still on an old version (?) and if so you maybe can expain why and how nmm changed the design flaw even if nmm users seem to be aware of and why they do not use your new version. i still miss your logical explanation how the free configuration of a load order and overwrite decision should work without a virtual file system. let me know, i'm curious!n

probably this part of the step guid has also to be changed ?

"Typical mod managers like NMM and WB install mods into the data directory of the game being modded. When installing mods, they keep a record of all installed files. This allows them to detect if a mod overwrites files of the original game and/or one or more existing mods. The user is given the option to overwrite such files. All files are added to the original game data directory. Hence the once empty and pristine state of the game data directory is lost. These programs have algorithms to restore files on the FS when, for example, mod B, which had overwritten files from mod A, is uninstalled. When using Profiles and changing the order in which mods were installed, these programs make changes to the windows file system by copying/deleting files on it. Depending on the performed actions this can take considerable time. If these programs work perfectly and Windows works perfectly, no harm will be done to the file system and the game continues to work. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and problems may arise."

Unfortunately this also happend to me. so - no nmm recommendation from my side.

What is the DATE on that post?

NMM DOES use a virtual file system. That seems to be the key point you are missing. They implement profiles, and the virtual file system came along with it. Look back in the NMM forums to all the folks complaining about updating, and all their mods were now gone. :D (the switch from direct install, to virtual file system was NOT implemented very well...... and annoyed a lot of folks. I updated when I updated my machine, so, I was going to be reinstalling everything anyway.)

Very nice article. I would, however, add that I would not use Fallout 4 config tool as it is unsupported. Bethinin is better. Better yet, unless you know what it is you are changing in your ini files, don't change it. There are plenty of on-line sources out there that explain what specific ini settings do and can't do. Check those out before making any changes. Finally, just because someone uses a certain ini tweak does not mean it will work for you. I have used recommended ini tweaks from many experienced modders, including Xrayy (whose work I admire) and a recently recommended tweak made my game worse, not better (it was a shadow tweak). Luckily I use bethini and I was able to easily revert back to my previous ini (always back those up before making changes).

Modding expands the game to horizons never envisioned by the original creators, but it comes with a cost.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the post. The Fallrim Tools/crash autoscan works well. Lots of good info.

Beantown Interiors wreaked havoc on my game. It's out. Now I'm getting a driver crash "Nvidia Driver Crash......CULPRIT FOUND!"

Now to figure out how to fix THAT...

Thanks for the post. The Fallrim Tools/crash autoscan works well. Lots of good info.

Beantown Interiors wreaked havoc on my game. It's out. Now I'm getting a driver crash "Nvidia Driver Crash......CULPRIT FOUND!"

Now to figure out how to fix THAT...

Update the driver, the installer should give you an option to do a "Clean" install, click on that as well. (it removes EVERYTHING of the currently installed driver.)