Mods not working in game

Tilarium

Hi all, thought I'd pop in and try and get some help as I've tried everything I can think of and scoured over google with no luck. With the Steam Summer Sale in full swing, I decided now is the time to pick up War of the Chosen and enjoy a run through of one of my favorites. Like most games, I can't play an unmodded version LOL so I hit steam and DLed about 140 mods (44 of which are voice packs LOL) Fired up the game and activated all the mods in the launcher and while playing the first mission, realized that my mods weren't all working. One of the mods is to remove the officer from the first mission, After finishing the mission I've noticed that others aren't working (One removes the Hunter's Lodge, another changes the mission debrief, another changes the ranks, another changes the promotion screen) either. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Unsubbing all the mods and resubbing. I've tried the games default launcher, I've tried the XCOM 2 Mod Launcher. I've verified the cache*. I've rebooted my system. I've restarted steam. I've done pretty much everything I can think off. The most recent thing I tried (just 10 minutes before this) is unsubbing all the mods again and resub little by little to try and find a conflict. I started with 10 mods ( [WOTC] Mod Config Menu, A Better ADVENT: War of the Chosen, A Better Campaign, A Better Barracks, X2WOTCCommunityHighlander, Missing Packages Fix + Resource, [WOTC} New Promotion Screen by Default, [WOTC] Point-Based Not Created Equal, More Squad Size Upgrades - WotC, and No Hunter's Lodge). Started a new game, didn't get the point based created equal option. Ran the first mission, go to the Avenger and that damned Hunter's Lodge is still there and didn't have the new promotion screen so guessing that didn't work. Anyone got any ideas or tips and tricks I can try?

* In regards to verifying the cache. After exiting the game, the only I can get the game to load again is deleting the XComGame folder contents (I can leave the SaveData and the CharacterPool though). Sometimes I'll have to exit out of steam to get the game to fully close and on a few other occasions I'll have to verify the cache before the game will load.

Try running the game with the -regenerateinis switch (launch options in Steam). Get to the main menu, re-apply your key bindings and graphics options etc. then exit. Remove that command line switch and start the game again. Edited by Dragon32

Try running the game with the -regenerateinis switch (launch options in Steam). Get to the main menu, re-apply your key bindings and graphics options etc. then exit. Remove that command line switch and start the game again.

I'll let you know how that goes if the game will load. I've been trying to get it to load for the last 40 minutes with no luck. If using the main launcher (via Steam) I get that black box saying it had an error and asking if I want to send my data. If using the XCOM 2 Mod Launcher it just closes out. I'm so fed up at this point.

Ok, so as long as I have that in, it's letting the game actually load without having to delete the config files. But I can't seem to get the mods to kick in, but having the game load consistently is a big step.

That switch regenerates the My Games config files, and so will wipe any enabled mods as XComModOptions.ini (where they're recorded) is being recreated in each load.

Try (in your XCOM 2 Steam folder) deleting everything in DefaultModOptions.ini except:

[Engine.XComModOptions]

The Firaxis launcher can just keep adding mod names into that file when it shouldn't do.

No luck. Once I remove the switch it's back to not loading until I delete the .ini files manually (not using the switch) and verifying the cache. Though I have discovered I don't need to do a full verify, just have to start it then cancel and it'll DL something which is all it needs to start loading again.

EDIT: I've sense narrowed it down to the XComEngine.ini that needs to be regenerated (read as: deleting it) to let the game load consistently. Still no luck on the mods though. The closest file I have to the one you mentioned is XComModOptions.ini in the "XCOM2 War of the Chosen/XComGame/Config folder. I tried deleting everything but no luck. I've actually noticed that the file regenerates itself every time the game starts (a few other of the ini files also regenerate with each load).

EDIT2: Also want to note that I'm currently using verstion 1.2.2 (I think) of the XCOM 2 Mod Launcher. Can't get the game to run without the switch using the basic game launcher.

EDIT3: So I'm an idiot in that I missed you saying the DefaultModOptions.ini is in the XCOM 2 steam folder and not in the my documents. Any way, I went and checked that file and that's actually already how it is. The only thing in the file is the [Engine.XComModOptions] line.

EDIT4: Started a base XCOM 2 game (instead of War of the Chosen) and that updated the DefaultModOptions.ini with the mods. Still no mods working in War of the Chosen, so only base XCOM is being effected by the DefaultModOptions.ini and War of the Chosen is bypassing it completely, probably. Which then led me to the defaultModOptions.ini in the Steam folder for WotC. Sadly, that's blank too. Tried manually adding the mods in there (taken from the XCOMModOptions.ini but no go.

Ok so not using edit this time because I don't deserve the right to use it. This post is to explain that I am a moron, a total, absolute moron. The problem is likely conflicts or broken mods. I don't know why but I fired the game up with just one mod, a simple mod, a character pools mod. The pool was there, waiting for me to import. I exited and tried a second, a visual preference mod, wearing armor on the Avenger. It was one of the two I was using for confirmation that mods were or were not working (the other being no hunter's lodge). Went into the save and my soldiers were hanging out in the bar, with their armor on, ready for action. Going to go through them slowly tomorrow. The only problem is going to be figuring out if some of the big mods are working or not. Things like More Dark Actions, A Better ADVENT/Campaign/Barracks (that last one might not be to hard.

Oh, you mean his "Additional Dark Actions" (which works with WotC) rather than his "Additional Dark Events" (which doesn't). Anyway, cool. Worth checking a few pages of each mod's Discussion to try and get a feel for whether a mod not marked explicitly as for WotC fairs well with the expansion. Trouble is a lot of people who post there don't know the basics and point fingers at mods which actually work fine. So, yeah. Useful stuff.

In the event of anyone stumbling on this page in the future. Persistent Bullet Shells was my problem. The thing is, looking at it now, it makes no mention of being WotC compatible but I went through everything with a fine tooth comb when I was making my mods and only included ones that said they were in the description or the comments. A whole weekend of frustration because my combs teeth were not fine enough.