Grecofying Skyrim

Lawcode

Hello,

So, I have a vision, and a quandary. I have seen so many mods that change the armor of the units in game into something historical. Such as a Medieval style armor, or Roman Empire. While those are cool, and it is awesome to run around Skyirm, and beyond, in Roman/Medieval armor, I find myself disillusioned with most of these mods as they are incomplete, or poorly done. (Crashing and the like)

So I want to create a massive armor, and some new units, mod for Skyrim which brings it to an Imperialistic Age of the Greeks rather than the Romans. You can check images below for what I am looking at doing. However here in lies my conundrum. I have no skill at modding Skyrim, as I have never attempted it. This is compounded by the fact that I don't even know where to begin. I had attempted to watch some YouTube Videos showing how it is done, but the guy I was watching made the videos back in 2012, so they are a little outdated. Any advice would be appreciated, any help would be happily welcomed.

Again, the attached files are some of the ideas I have for the mod, but please talk to me and maybe, just maybe, I, with the help of very talented people, will be able to create this as an overwrite mod.

Edited by Lawcode

You dont mention if you have experience with 3d modelling outside of modding skyrim, if you dont then you definitely need to learn that prior to making the mod you are talking about. If that's the case and you are aware it will take some serious time, it's not a watch 2 youtube videos and click the "do mod" button type of thing and broad enough that can't be really explained in a forum post in any useful manner. My advice would be to start small, like a sword and get thst into the game, you can do massive stuff later.

Videos from 2012 can be perfectly valid btw, skyrim hasnt changed thst much, as lomg as they are using ck and not some pre-proper-modding-tools stuff.

You dont mention if you have experience with 3d modelling outside of modding skyrim, if you dont then you definitely need to learn that prior to making the mod you are talking about. If that's the case and you are aware it will take some serious time, it's not a watch 2 youtube videos and click the "do mod" button type of thing and broad enough that can't be really explained in a forum post in any useful manner. My advice would be to start small, like a sword and get thst into the game, you can do massive stuff later.

Videos from 2012 can be perfectly valid btw, skyrim hasnt changed thst much, as lomg as they are using ck and not some pre-proper-modding-tools stuff.

Okay, I will look into that, but again, I am still dealing with the same issue that I was dealing with before. The problem with the 2012 video was not that it was from 2012, but rather the links to the tools he used were no longer valid.

I think you are doing exactly the same thing you are complaining about existing mods. Pardon me if this sounds like insulting, but constructive criticism instead.

You are trying to do what Immersive Armors mod is doing, just different theme. In the nutshell, this is what you are trying to do:

- Reimagining the factions of Skyrim, you probably want them to be Greeks, Egyptians, and other factions that historically don these types of armors. Skyrim has 3 major factions, Thalmor, Imperial, Stormcloak, with several minor factions: Forsworn, Bandits, Guards, Vampires, Dawnguards.

- Expanding the armor selection for these factions. Instead of 1-3 armor sets, you may give them 10 different combinations for each faction. Some can be for sale by vendors.

- Creating some recipe so players can learn and create themselves.

So you need to learn how to replace Vanilla armors (not just texture and mesh replacement) and add new armors, and weapons. You may even need to add Spear combat (there is a mod like this) as part of the combat style. The rest is just simply getting the mesh and textures into the game. Some can be as easy as fixing/combining Vanilla assets and other modders' assets to create something new, other time, you may need brand new resource. In the nutshell, the ability to use Blender, Nifskope, Outfit Studio, Creation Kit, TES5Edit.

I presume you need to bring something more than just an idea to the table. It is much easier to find someone to help you with the coding like leveled lists, recipe, etc... but it is going to be so hard to find someone creating armors from scratch (or get off internet somewhere). I just hope you are aware of the task you are getting yourself into.

I think you are doing exactly the same thing you are complaining about existing mods. Pardon me if this sounds like insulting, but constructive criticism instead.

You are trying to do what Immersive Armors mod is doing, just different theme. In the nutshell, this is what you are trying to do:

- Reimagining the factions of Skyrim, you probably want them to be Greeks, Egyptians, and other factions that historically don these types of armors. Skyrim has 3 major factions, Thalmor, Imperial, Stormcloak, with several minor factions: Forsworn, Bandits, Guards, Vampires, Dawnguards.

- Expanding the armor selection for these factions. Instead of 1-3 armor sets, you may give them 10 different combinations for each faction. Some can be for sale by vendors.

- Creating some recipe so players can learn and create themselves.

So you need to learn how to replace Vanilla armors (not just texture and mesh replacement) and add new armors, and weapons. You may even need to add Spear combat (there is a mod like this) as part of the combat style. The rest is just simply getting the mesh and textures into the game. Some can be as easy as fixing/combining Vanilla assets and other modders' assets to create something new, other time, you may need brand new resource. In the nutshell, the ability to use Blender, Nifskope, Outfit Studio, Creation Kit, TES5Edit.

I presume you need to bring something more than just an idea to the table. It is much easier to find someone to help you with the coding like leveled lists, recipe, etc... but it is going to be so hard to find someone creating armors from scratch (or get off internet somewhere). I just hope you are aware of the task you are getting yourself into.

I am, I am painfully aware of how difficult this is going to be. That being said, minor factions aren't being altered in any way, only the Thalmor, Empire, and Stormcloaks, while I will likely add in armors from other mods for the Redguard faction. But since they are the only four culturally distinct factions, I've only planned on doing things for them. However Egyptian style armor for the Redguards could be cool.... rather than the more common Persian..... ooh a Kopesh sword for their 'Curved Swords'. Thanks for the ideas. :D

Edited by Lawcode

Oddly, I've always perceived stormcloak soldiers outfits as hellenic, or what it would look like if they lived in harsh northern winters, because of the way they were their capes resembles Greek tunics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exomis

If you want to start something small, perhaps you could look into the Stormcloak-armor giant (Immersive Creatures or Civil War Overhaul) and figure out how to make an imperial-armour wearing giant? That should make you familiar with the tools without spending a lot of time on recreating historical armor textures and meshes.

I am, I am painfully aware of how difficult this is going to be. That being said, minor factions aren't being altered in any way, only the Thalmor, Empire, and Stormcloaks, while I will likely add in armors from other mods for the Redguard faction. But since they are the only four culturally distinct factions, I've only planned on doing things for them. However Egyptian style armor for the Redguards could be cool.... rather than the more common Persian..... ooh a Kopesh sword for their 'Curved Swords'. Thanks for the ideas. :D

I have a suggestion for you. Since you are just interested in replacing armors and not adding any quest or changing game mechanic ... why don't you use Immersive Armor or similar massive overhaul armor mods, replace ALL their texture and nif with your own theme, you may need to go into TES5Edit to change name for the outfits and also edit a few things as it is not always 1 to 1 replacement. Some sets may have more than the exact same pieces, etc.. and etc... But this is going to be so much simpler, at least on the coding side. It would cut down your time and learning curve by a lot.

It also involves asking permission from the authors of Immersive Armors (or respective mods' authors). But I am quite sure they will be delighted as long as you promise not to put on Bethesda Creation Club to make profit. Although it may take a while for them to reply. So if this is your route, start soon.

Edited by tomomi1922

Oddly, I've always perceived stormcloak soldiers outfits as hellenic, or what it would look like if they lived in harsh northern winters, because of the way they were their capes resembles Greek tunics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exomis

If you want to start something small, perhaps you could look into the Stormcloak-armor giant (Immersive Creatures or Civil War Overhaul) and figure out how to make an imperial-armour wearing giant? That should make you familiar with the tools without spending a lot of time on recreating historical armor textures and meshes.

I was considering adding in Cloaks for the different factions, just due to being in the north, that are representative of their respective cultural differences. However I personally view the Stormcloaks, and Nords in general, as a civilization of people who try to emulate the grandeur and wealth of those around them, similar to that of the Thracian kingdoms, or Illyrian nations, north of the Greeks.

I have a suggestion for you. Since you are just interested in replacing armors and not adding any quest or changing game mechanic ... why don't you use Immersive Armor or similar massive overhaul armor mods, replace ALL their texture and nif with your own theme, you may need to go into TES5Edit to change name for the outfits and also edit a few things as it is not always 1 to 1 replacement. Some sets may have more than the exact same pieces, etc.. and etc... But this is going to be so much simpler, at least on the coding side. It would cut down your time and learning curve by a lot.

It also involves asking permission from the authors of Immersive Armors (or respective mods' authors). But I am quite sure they will be delighted as long as you promise not to put on Bethesda Creation Club to make profit. Although it may take a while for them to reply. So if this is your route, start soon.

I am actually learning how to use paint.net to get started.