The Overlord of Overhauls - EnaiSiaion

BigBizkit

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #61752302. #61777427, #61778377 are all replies on the same post.

Tsumikiro wrote: As has been said already, and will probably be said many more times: much of Enai's work is essential for my enjoyment of Skyrim. Whenever someone asks me about modding Skyrim, the short answer is always, "get everything by EnaiSiaion." Here is to hoping that Bethesda just puts him in charge of ES6's mechanical details.
DaBlake wrote: lol that's me in my local TES facebook group
EnaiSiaion wrote: Bethesda doesn't consider me to have any skills they want. It doesn't matter, TESVI will sell like hotcakes regardless. Gameplay is overrated.

Thanks though.

>Bethesda doesn't consider me to have any skills they want.

What's wrong with them? At this point, I'm starting to suspect that TES6 is going to have 2 schools of magic, just 1 armor, and 1 weapon skill and it will be a button smashing galore and hope that people like you are still around to make the thing playable. Because if they don't want that even in their paid mods club, then I don't know where we are going to get quality gameplay. :/ Edited by BinakAlgo

In response to post #61752302. #61777427, #61778377, #61779667 are all replies on the same post.

Tsumikiro wrote: As has been said already, and will probably be said many more times: much of Enai's work is essential for my enjoyment of Skyrim. Whenever someone asks me about modding Skyrim, the short answer is always, "get everything by EnaiSiaion." Here is to hoping that Bethesda just puts him in charge of ES6's mechanical details.
DaBlake wrote: lol that's me in my local TES facebook group
EnaiSiaion wrote: Bethesda doesn't consider me to have any skills they want. It doesn't matter, TESVI will sell like hotcakes regardless. Gameplay is overrated.

Thanks though.
BinakAlgo wrote: >Bethesda doesn't consider me to have any skills they want.

What's wrong with them? At this point, I'm starting to suspect that TES6 is going to have 2 schools of magic, just 1 armor, and 1 weapon skill and it will be a button smashing galore and hope that people like you are still around to make the thing playable. Because if they don't want that even in their paid mods club, then I don't know where we are going to get quality gameplay. :/

Sadly this is what sells today (it seems)
Although if you look at the popularity of ordinator you could think otherwise.

Ever since 2008, I've been saying that user created content is the future of gaming. Making long lasting content for games takes a long time. Developers spend hundreds of hours making something that only takes a few hours to play. That's crazy when you think about adding content to MMOs and online games.

However, when you look at something like Second Life, something that's 99.99% user created content, the world is so huge and ever expanding that no single person could ever see the entire thing in one life time, including the developers themselves. I shake my head when people say "people still play Second Life?" yep. the same amount as always 50,000 concurrent users online 24/7 for years. i think it peaked at 65k to 75k back in 2010, but it's almost always been about 40k-55k on average. Then you had something like City of Heroes. They introduced a mission making system which almost instantly injected the game with 25 times the content than the game ever had. They could have approved the top missions to be official, but never mothered. The system still kept the game fresh for a while though.

Then you look at Skyrim and other BGS games. I have nearly 3,000 hours and haven't even done more than 40% of the vanilla content. I think there's a way to add value to games with user created content, but the Creation Kit isn't one of them. All the creation kit did was add microtransactions to single player games. And now people pirate mods. Pirating mods. Think about that for a moment. There's a better way for sure, and I think the Nexus found it for the Donation Point system and supplementing it with Patreon. i would like to add though, there there should maybe be another donation pool for those who would rather do a one time donation for that month or whenever they have the cash to spare. I know people, like myself, who don't like monthly subscriptions and would rather do random one time "payments" for everything. Like, I'd like to see a button where I can donate to the Donation Pool once and be done with it until i can donate to it again without worrying about canceling something a month later just to make sure that first payment went through while stopping the second. Just food for thought if any admins read this.

I greatly respect Enai for the wonderful interview but I'm going to call out an incorrect statement made that shines a poor light on the entire PC games 'modding' scene and modding in general.

No, modding did not 'originate from cheating'. It originated from the 'demoscene' (creating scripted audiovisual non-interactive demonstrations) and from various reverse-engineering and programming competitions like the ones where you shove as much as possible into 512kb of space and create something awesome with it. That's where you get stuff like 'the projekt' with a playable FPS with Quake-3 style graphics but in an incredibly-tiny size.

The very first widespread PC games modding were the Doom 1 WAD files back in the day. That's really where most 'modding' began. Although it originated in the 'demoscene', when the video games scene became more popular then it quickly expanded into gaming. After Doom 1 we had map makers for various FPS games, the entire Unreal Tournament modding scene (which is still around to this day!), and untold numbers of mods made for a variety of games. Then you have the entire Freelancer (the sequel to Starlancer) modding community that sprang up to not only fix the game for multiplayer to work properly but also set up their own community servers and tons and tons and TONS of mods and new content and everything lasting for over a decade now.

So if you're gonna give a history lesson on modding, please be sure not to paint modders as 'cheaters'. That may be a part of some modding NOW but it wasn't the case back in the day. If we really want to be pedantic we could also include early fan translation attempts of console games aka 'rom modding'.

:P

In response to post #61758612. #61767637 is also a reply to the same post.

Kazuya482 wrote: He may be a "little" jaded, but he's one of the biggest reasons this game still lives, whether he's fond of that idea or not lol. My life is drab and wretched(kek), and skyrim is one of the few remaining escapes I have left from the garbage world we currently live in. It bothers me that I can't spare any meaningful donation to help(can barely help myself), but for what it's worth, I'm truly grateful.

Thank you Enaisiaion.
EnaiSiaion wrote:
he's one of the biggest reasons this game still lives, whether he's fond of that idea or not lol.
Only a small minority even uses mods. (Numbers vary between 6-15% depending on source.) Mods really don't matter outside the bubble.

Maybe, but it's a hella fun bubble to be in!

And I intend to ride the thing down into it's final glory, as the 'bubble' provides for pure creative outlet in the way we assemble our mod collections to be more than vanilla could ever be. Just spent 4 straight days on a non-stop dynamic battlefield high up the mountains (logged several times. Back in, and the war is still raging), fighting off one massive onslaught after the other, and more still came (from a long list random event spawners, too long to list). Then, enter the dragons in waves of 3, 6 or 9 spraying the field with ungodly breath of all flavors, death dealers with breath and claw, with dangerous weather raining down all around us (courtesy of Deadly Dragons+support mods, pumped up to nose bleed levels). And every bit of it just happened, with NO planning, due to a wide range of wonderful random event mods who decided the time is NOW, and the place is HERE! (all made nasty by High Level Enemies and Wildcat). Without solid bedrock under my feet, in the way my toon was constructed, I would've died a 1000 miserable, quick deaths.

Violens (unchained for any mob), Heart Breaker ("rip out their hearts and show it to them!" Eating it, optional), Wildcat (move fast or die screaming), player role defined by 1 of a 1000+ Ordinator hybrid options designed especially to fight non-stop war (and to specifications dreamed up by our imaginations), with full themed support from Summermyst for our gear (with synergy ripples bouncing off Ordinator in an elegant reflection), all mobs on level, or higher, with capped armor, resistances, high skills, and ultra high H/M/S, all combining to make something mundane, absolutely incredible, and endearing. All meters bouncing like an old pinball machine on the hairy edge of Tilt! Heart pumping, white knucklin, endorphin inducing, and jaw dropping, wonderful fun with no end in sight. Let the bodies hit the floor! You mean THAT bubble? I feel sorry for the 90% then, as they know not what they missed...

Wouldn't still be playing if not for the many excellent works and wonders of the Skyrim mod community. With those, we can make Skyrim just about anything we want, anytime we want it. And a massive part of that, for me, is building a foundation core on Ordinator, Summermyst, Thunderchild, Sacrosanct, Wildcat, and other wonderful works of yours (along with the works of many others). Those put a solid bedrock under our feet which we can trust, so we are free to use other mods to make a much more dynamic, challenging world than anything Beth ever envisioned for the game. I could care less about some old nord dude named Ballsgruuf or Ulfric Twattlewad, or whatever, not when there is never-ending war to fight up in the high country! So, many warm and well-intended thanks for all of these wonderful gems. Game wouldn't be the same without them. And I, I wouldn't be here.

Vanilla Skyrim is what it is. No more words. C'est la vie.

With great mods, there is no expiration date,
Raine Edited by HardRaine

Thank you EnaiSiaion for everything you've done for this community. I hope you will be rewarded for that.

And for writing a de profundis posting at Reddit which made me reconsider certain aspects of modding and free time. I'll be forever grateful for that.

In response to post #61806927.

DoritoJunkie wrote: His mods are not without people complaining about how op and unbalanced they are.

The vanilla game is OP and unbalanced. Either you match the vanilla game and get complaints that your options are OP while similarly OP vanilla content is perfectly fine (Apocalypse) or you go for sensible balance and every option is useless next to the vanilla OP alternative (Summermyst).