Why Pay To Remove Download Cap Speed?

Rage4556

303 members have voted

1. 1. Add Optional Purchase For Speed Cap Limit?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

So I've been getting very annoyed with the 1mb/s speed cap on my downloads for Vortex/NMM and a little disappointed in it. Why do I need to pay for an option to remove the cap speed when I already pay for internet monthly and have to pay monthly for a speed cap removal? It's just plain stupid, but I do understand why there is a cap speed with all the servers and people downloading stuff from the databases and removing ads with free ad blockers but I mean we can't have a single option to purchase just a speed cap removal? So this is where my suggestion for a purchasable option comes in and to give it and remove the speed cap. If we could have the option to choose our own cap speed for a certain amount of money each month, I'd definitely do that but I don't need all the other stuff with Premium and just want the speed cap removal. So if you could please add an option to purchase a selection for this, I will surely buy it and definitely keep it.

Edited by xVRage

Lol wth? Who voted no? The people that would have to put in the work to make this a thing? For real tho, if we are just talking about adding in a new option that just gives a very specific feature. To make it more price-affordable. Then the only reason the people in charge could possibly say no, is if they want to basically admit that they are just trying to squeeze as much money out of it as they can.

In practice it just doesn't make sense, because things like this actually tend to benefit profits if anything. You're more likely to get those people, like OP here, that simply flat out refuse to purchase premium... to actually spend money. You can't force the consumer to buy something because you can't change what they do and don't want, you can only simply change what you are selling so they will want to buy in the first place.

Even if you're afraid that a significant portion of Premium users will just convert to the cheaper service. I'm pretty certain the increase in people purchasing anything from this site, will definitely make that a nonissue.

Exactly it would be a benefit to Nexus themselves because people who were not premium membership or didn't have ant type of product purchased would likely buy this feature raising sales and profiting them even more. So it would be a great thing to do.

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for your frustrations. That said though, I think you may be misinterpreting our membership structure. Please take a look here: https://www.nexusmods.com/register/premium

Notice that Supporter status, which supplies all of the extraneous features you mention, costs a one time payment of £1.29 for the lifetime of your account if purchased singularly. Importantly though, know that this lifetime Supporter status is provided free to all members who have ever purchased a Premium Membership. So, in essence, what you are paying for as a Premium Member is multi-threaded and uncapped downloads, with all of the other features being provided gratis.

Regarding the prices, given the overhead costs involved and the services offered, we feel that our current pricing is appropriate. We will, of course, reevaluate these prices and services as time goes on to reflect changes that may occur in the future and we'll take your feedback into consideration.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for your frustrations. That said though, I think you may be misinterpreting our membership structure. Please take a look here:Â https://www.nexusmods.com/register/premium

Â

Notice that Supporter status, which supplies all of the extraneous features you mention, costs a one time payment of £1.29 for the lifetime of your account if purchased singularly. Importantly though, know that this lifetime Supporter status is provided free to all members who have ever purchased a Premium Membership. So, in essence, what you are paying for as a Premium Member is multi-threaded and uncapped downloads, with all of the other features being provided gratis.Â

Regarding the prices, given the overhead costs involved and the services offered, we feel that our current pricing is appropriate. We will, of course, reevaluate these prices and services as time goes on to reflect changes that may occur in the future and we'll take your feedback into consideration.

Hope this clarifies things a bit. If you have questions, feel free to PM me.

But see the thing is I don't need all those other necessities when I simply want an uncapped download speed. That's why I'd prefer to purchase just a uncapped download speed rather than nothing at all.

But see the thing is I don't need all those other necessities when I simply want an uncapped download speed. That's why I'd prefer to purchase just a uncapped download speed rather than nothing at all.

I don't get your argument. Are you saying you would rather pay monthly for an uncapped download speed as opposed to a one time payment of £1.29?

This is pay once and done. You have an uncapped download for as long as you have an account on the nexus.

And it's not a "purchase".

It's a voluntary contribution to keep the Nexus in operation. And for making such a contribution you get a few perks.

There is no "feature list cost-benefit analysis" to be made.

Either you think the Nexus is worth supporting with a monetary contribution (for which we all thank you, in a number of ways) or you don't.

Either way, you are welcome to (almost) all the content. FOR FREE.

And it's not a "purchase".

It's a voluntary contribution to keep the Nexus in operation. And for making such a contribution, you get a few perks.

There is no "feature list cost-benefit analysis" to be made.

Either you think the Nexus is worth supporting with a monetary contribution (for which we all thank you, in a number of ways) or you don't.

Either way, you are welcome to (almost) all the content. FOR FREE.

It's not a contribution though. Think of a company that's just starting out and needs money to grow, said company will give products that suite the needs of people bringing in more profit and customers. This company is only doing one time payments and that's better than monthly payments. Why limit the number of products to people when you could be making more money and more customers. It just doesn't add up and I never wanted monthly payments for this. It's one big pay for say, well I don't know, $20 to remove the uncapped speed limit. That's just a random number I came up with, but whatever price you set it to is how well you get customers. Finding the sweet spot for customers willing to buy it and how close to how much it actually is worth is the game winner. Maybe how about instead of a one time payment, give your customers more options to choose from giving them a bigger chance of actually buying the product. For example, monthly payments to one time payment and of course the one time payment would be a hunk of cash while monthly payments are easy and smooth for the customer. If they cancel there monthly payment, they lose the privilege of having that feature. Or just do monthly payments, but I prefer having just the uncapped download speed. I just don't need all those other features given to me. So I don't see any point in buying a package that comes with extra stuff that I don't need when I can just buy the item that was in the package alone.

Dark0ne may chime in, but maybe I can be more clear about what I meant in the meantime as I think it's still needed.

The current values of what you're talking about can already be quantified given our membership structure, as seen here:

89i6GED.png

As shown above, the only notable differences between supporter and premium status are uncapped download speeds and multi-threaded downloads. So that leaves 'no advertising' and 'supporter only image share' as features that you imply would reduce the cost by offering the download services al-la-carte. This is technically true I suppose, but consider this:

Isolated, those supporter features ('no advertising' and 'supporter only image share') are currently valued at a mere £1.29, for the life of the account. Additionally, we provide these features for free to all Premium Members, again, for the life of the account, even if Premium Membership lapses. Considering those points, I feel that makes the cost of these features rather insignificant to the cost of Premium Membership.

It's one big pay for say, well I don't know, $20 to remove the uncapped speed limit. That's just a random number I came up with, but whatever price you set it to is how well you get customers.

So essentially, I feel that what you are describing is already true: All you are effectively paying for as a premium member are the uncapped and multi-threaded downloads. Currently, you can consider a lifetime of uncapped downloads (with Premium Membership) at the value of £49.99. If you deduct the value of the 'extra' features associated with Supporter Status (at £1.29 for the life of the account), the cost would be £48.70. Not much of a difference, I think, by most measures.

I hope this clarifies what I meant a bit. :sweat:

That said though, this does not address what you describe separately as the ability to "choose our own cap speed for a certain amount of money each month". That's perhaps something we can consider and I'll be happy to let the rest of the team know your thoughts about that. Thanks!

Dark0ne may chime in, but maybe I can be more clear about what I meant in the meantime as I think it's still needed.Â

The current values of what you're talking about can already be quantified given our membership structure, as seen here:

89i6GED.png

As shown above, the only notable differences between supporter and premium status are uncapped download speeds and multi-threaded downloads. So that leaves 'no advertising' and 'supporter only image share' as features that you imply would reduce the cost by offering the download services al-la-carte. This is technically true I suppose, but consider this:

Isolated, the supporter features ('no advertising' and 'supporter only image share') are currently valued at a mere £1.29, for the life of the account. Additionally, we provide these features for free to all Premium subscribers, again, for the life of the account, even if Premium Membership lapses. Considering those points, I feel that makes the cost of these features rather insignificant to the cost of Premium Membership.

Â

It's one big pay for say, well I don't know, $20 to remove the uncapped speed limit. That's just a random number I came up with, but whatever price you set it to is how well you get customers.

So essentially, I feel that what you are describing is already true: All you are effectively paying for as a premium member are the uncapped and multi-threaded downloads. Currently, you can consider a lifetime of Uncapped downloads (with premium membership) at the value of £49.99. If you deduct the cost of the 'extra' features associated with Supporter Status (at £1.29 for the life of the account), the cost would be £48.70. Not much of a difference, I think, by most measures.

Â

I hope this clarifies what I meant a bit. :sweat:Â

Â

That said though, this does not address what you describe separately as the ability to "choose our own cap speed for a certain amount of money each month". That's perhaps something we can consider and I'll be happy to let the rest of the team know your thoughts about that. Thanks!

Alright yeah that makes it a lot more clearer. I just don't want a kind of membership when I only want one feature. Thanks for notifying the Nexus Mods team about this as I will personally order this if it does become possible.