Vortex seems to be broken.

Mrjordann2

I was getting this error a lot last night, I thought it was because I was trying the 'Move Deployment' in Vortex to manage mod installs, but then changed back to the Hardlink Deployment method midway through setting up my profile because I was getting fed up with Vortex throwing that window up to Apply/Undo changes to Mods outside of Vortex each time I added a mod, and thought this is what had now broke and was causing that UAC error. Could not work out what was going on as I have full access and control over the Fallout folder and Vortex folders for any and all users on my Gaming PC, I even had Vortex running as Administrator to make sure. Then after several minutes I began to pay attention more to the message and noticed it was the same Mod/File everytime. So I deleted the mod and went back to the page and downloaded it fresh. Installed it and this time no error. Guess the mod got screwed up in the download and deleting it and trying again fixed it. I then attributed this to the issue I'm having where Vortex can't or messes up downloads if I'm not using my VPN Connection.

same It says "Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files (x86)\ The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\data\sound" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin right Vortex can try to unlock the file for you."

It might help if you purchase the game legally. That is not an install path that a legal (i.e. non-pirated) copy can have, as they all go through Steam.

I was getting this error a lot last night, I thought it was because I was trying the 'Move Deployment' in Vortex to manage mod installs, but then changed back to the Hardlink Deployment method midway through setting up my profile because I was getting fed up with Vortex throwing that window up to Apply/Undo changes to Mods outside of Vortex each time I added a mod, and thought this is what had now broke and was causing that UAC error. Could not work out what was going on as I have full access and control over the Fallout folder and Vortex folders for any and all users on my Gaming PC, I even had Vortex running as Administrator to make sure. Then after several minutes I began to pay attention more to the message and noticed it was the same Mod/File everytime. So I deleted the mod and went back to the page and downloaded it fresh. Installed it and this time no error. Guess the mod got screwed up in the download and deleting it and trying again fixed it. I then attributed this to the issue I'm having where Vortex can't or messes up downloads if I'm not using my VPN Connection.

same It says "Vortex needs to access "C:\Program Files (x86)\ The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\data\sound" but doesn't have permission to. If your account has admin right Vortex can try to unlock the file for you."

It might help if you purchase the game legally. That is not an install path that a legal (i.e. non-pirated) copy can have, as they all go through Steam.

http://sampleaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/winner-266x300.jpg

so did op solve his problem? im having the same problem and cant fix it at all, even installed completely fresh. For me though, im trying to set the mod staging folder but it keeps telling me to give it permission, which i do, but it popped back up. Its getting on my god damned nerves, i havent been able to fix vortex for months at this point and im fed up with it

1. Are you running Vortex as an Admin, or did you ever run it as an admin (besides the initial installation) if so, DON'T

2. If you've run it as an Admin, then you'll probably need to "take ownership of the files and folders that got locked when you ran Vortex as an admin.

3. WHERE are you trying to install the Mod Staging Folder? If you're trying to install it in C:\Program FIles x86\ don't, because Windows over-zealously protects that folder.

the step 3 really helped me i just put it desktop/(folder name) and it works thx!

• 2 months later...

so did op solve his problem? im having the same problem and cant fix it at all, even installed completely fresh. For me though, im trying to set the mod staging folder but it keeps telling me to give it permission, which i do, but it popped back up. Its getting on my god damned nerves, i havent been able to fix vortex for months at this point and im fed up with it

1. Are you running Vortex as an Admin, or did you ever run it as an admin (besides the initial installation) if so, DON'T

2. If you've run it as an Admin, then you'll probably need to "take ownership of the files and folders that got locked when you ran Vortex as an admin.

3. WHERE are you trying to install the Mod Staging Folder? If you're trying to install it in C:\Program FIles x86\ don't, because Windows over-zealously protects that folder.

Option number 3 worked for me and this could be the solution to the problems our fellows have. Windows IS over-zealous about protecting that folder.

• 4 weeks later...

Move your Skyrim install dir to whatever place that not under (inside) Program Files x86\. That solves the problem. Btw, big thanks to the guys/gals who created the manager, plus a huge thanks to all the modders out there

• 2 months later...

Not all versions go through steam. I still have Morrowind, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion on disk, and their default install path is c:\Program Files (x86) so yeah, just because it's installed there doesn't mean it was pirated. Don't know what the default path would be if you bought it on GoG either. You just have to set every permission (Admin, User etc) to Full Control and it should work, or install it somewhere else.

Edited by hpgvalence

Not all versions go through steam. I still have Morrowind, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Oblivion on disk, and their default install path is c:\Program Files (x86) so yeah, just because it's installed there doesn't mean it was pirated. Don't know what the default path would be if you bought it on GoG either. You just have to set every permission (Admin, User etc) to Full Control and it should work, or install it somewhere else.

All the games you mentioned have non-steam copies, yes. However, Skyrim does not. All non-pirated PC copies of Skyrim, no matter where they are bought, activate and download through Steam, as it uses the Steamworks DRM.