Presper

Hello, I have what I think to be a unique problem with my game, I haven't found anyone with a similar problem. The game runs at a smooth 60FPS, that is until I sneak with a weapon drawn the frames drop to 45FPS and stutters/lags for the rest of the session until I exit the game completely and reload. No matter what I do in the game it will always start to stutter, just sneaking seems to make it happen instantaneously. Even when the game is paused the mouse lags and stutters making it hard to select things in the pause screen. All this even happens with a fresh install of the game, with no mods whatsoever.

I've already tried NVAC, NVSR, ENBoost, 4GB Patcher, playing the game in windowed mode, disabling Vsync, setting all my LOD settings to the bare minimum, uninstalling all my mods, and playing the game vanilla with a complete fresh install. None of these worked.

I've found a temporary solution on accident though, when I went to press Esc to pause my game I accidentally pressed a Home button on my keyboard which brought up a new window of Google Chrome. After exiting that and un-pausing my game I discovered that the frames went back up to 60FPS and the stutters were gone. That is until I sneak once more, or play the game long enough where it starts to happen again.

Considering the fact the mouse stutters in the pause screen, and the weird temporary home button solution I'm starting to wonder if this is a problem with my mouse. Though I'm doubtful the mouse alone can impact the performance of my game so greatly.

Specs: I have an ASUS gaming laptop.

CPU: i7-7700

GPU: Nvidia 1050Ti

RAM: 16gb

All of the following may not apply to your specific situation, but are worth repeating anyway.

* Be aware that one error may mask a number of other errors, which will not appear until those masking them have been resolved. Building a stable game consists of resolving each problem individually until none remain, and then realizing that every change you make thereafter (including updates to mods already installed) run the risk of introducing new problems. Be prepared to revert to a previous save if you do so.

* Did you install Steam to it's default location? If so, please see the wiki "Installing Games on Windows Vista+" article for why the original default Steam behavior of installing games to the "C:\Program Files" folder tree was bad (they learned better, and don't do that any more); and why "disabling UAC and running as Administrator" is NOT sufficient, with instructions how to move it. This is the single most important thing you can do to fix and protect yourself against problems in the future. As much of a PITA as that is, it's never going to be any easier than now. System updates often cause issues with games installed to these folder trees. Please see the 'Restoring to "Vanilla"' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article as well.

* The game has "memory leaks". Getting 2-3 hours before a CTD is pretty good. You might want to try using the tool "Memclean", which periodically (you can set the interval; default is every 15 minutes) tells the OS to perform it's built-in "clean up" of memory. It has a "mini-monitor" that displays memory usage. Doesn't seem to hurt and might help.

Re: Stuttering or "micro-stutters". All visual stuttering problems are caused by the video stream having to wait for the "art assets" required to render the display OR the game writing something to disk (such as a save game file or logging). Mostly these are due to the hard disk drive being orders of magnitude slower than VRAM, with System RAM (e.g. "ENBoost") and "solid state drives" (SSDs) being in between. Keep in mind that this game was designed for older PC and XBox console systems, and it is now possible for your new "latest and greatest" gaming machine to be faster than it can handle. There are internal design choices that cannot be overcome. The following are "mitigations" that have been found to help some people.

Please see the following entries under the 'Solutions to Performance problems' section in the wiki Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide if you haven't already.
* 'Issue: "Full screen mode" exhibits CTDs and stutters or micro-stutters'
* 'Issue: Lag or "micro stutters" even with "New Vegas Stutter Remover" installed'
* 'Issue: Win10 Screen tearing in "Borderless Windowed Mode"'
* 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu' for other settings that can indirectly affect micro-stutter.
* There are also some NVSR configuration suggestions under the 'Issue: Game in slow motion' and entries.
* The 'Issue: What's with these Solid Green billboard signs in the distance (LOD)?' entry under the 'Solutions to Mesh (Red "!" icon) or Texture (solid color) problems' section can also help if your problems started after you installed VWD/LOD texture packages.
* If you are using CASM or some similar "auto-save" mod to manage your save game files (recommended), try increasing the "time between saves" set in the "save frequency"; and reducing the number of occasions it saves to the minimum (e.g. disable most "Autosave Events" in CASM) and see how that impacts the game seeming to freeze temporarily.
* If you have "NVSE logging" enabled (see the 'Checklist Item #4' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide), disable it until actually needed.

Reading from or writing to disk for any reason is the slowest thing the game does.

As you can see, there are a number of things that can underlie your problem. If one of these doesn't fix it, I would be interested to hear about any eventual solution that does.

-Dubious-

Thank you Dubious for your help. I've tried many of the solutions you gave me but they sadly did not work. Though I believe I found a solution to this problem. It turns out whenever the buttons ctrl, shift, and alt, are pressed it makes my frames drop to 45 and there is a constant stutter. To fix it I just rebound the keys I used to sprint and sneak to Z and X. This appears to have fixed the problem, though I can no longer press Shift, Alt, and ctrl, otherwise my game will start to lag again.

Edited by Presper

That is a strange problem. "Ctrl", "Alt", and "Shift" are known as "modifier" keys in that they do nothing by themselves except "modify" the scan codes generated by the keys they are combined with: changing the scan code from it's default value to a particular code used for another purpose instead (e.g. "upper case" in the instance of the "Shift" key). The delay caused by them suggests something is having to "interpret" those modifier keys/scan codes. My suspicion falls to the keyboard driver you are using, though it might be related to a keyboard mapping program if you have one running. Of course it could be any program running in the background that is looking for scan codes modified by those keys. Look carefully at all the programs you have running in the background and shut down any that re not essential. You can safely disable your "anti-virus" software if you are running Steam in "off-line mode" and not attempting to communicate over the internet at the same time.

-Dubious-