"Admin rights"

Khormin

I don't understand the question "how to go about installing after receiving this msg".

This topic is about a message users are receiving after they installed Vortex when they try to start it, so I can't be sure what message you're referring to.

For the installation, once, the installer should open up the UAC system dialog (something along the lines of "Do you want to allow this application to make changes ... Vortex"). When starting Vortex you should get no dialog.

If however you didn't receive the UAC dialog and instead on startup get the dialog "Vortex shouldn't be run as admin" then you have a non-standard windows config where UAC is disabled. How you enable it is a bit system dependent so I don't want to give a step-by-step guide but you can seach the internet for one of the many "how to disable UAC" guides and do the inverse.

Then, keep note of all websites that had such a guide and make sure you never take PC advise from them...

I've downloaded the recommended one step installer. When I open it, I get the standard UAC warning, 'are you sure you wanna do this?' sorta thing. When I say run, it begins to install. The install window bar completes, the Vortex logo appears, and then I get the warning above. The error window is entitled 'Admin Rights Detected' and the text below says 'vortex is not meant to be run as administrator, if you're doing it because you're having permission issues, please stop, you're just making it worse,' etc, etc. I then have the options to quit the install, or ignore the warning. I'm unsure how to proceed, so I hit quit, which cancels the install. So, as someone working with a single account on win7, which is admin by default because it's the only account, should I hit 'ignore' and everything will be fine, or are there additional steps I have to take to make sure that Vortex will run properly?

Did you run the installer as an administrator?

I'm the admin on my system, and the only time I saw that warning is when I purposely tried to run Vortex as an Admin.

Nope. As I stated in my first post, I didn't right click and say open as admin. I have both simply double clicked to open, as well as right clicked and specifically chosen open rather than open as admin.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the admin on my system, and the only time I saw that warning is when I purposely tried to run Vortex as an Admin.

Nope. As I stated in my first post, I didn't right click and say open as admin. I have both simply double clicked to open, as well as right clicked and specifically chosen open rather than open as admin.

Wow, I really don't get that, I'm the admin on my system and I can install stuff for days without the UAC popping up.

Oh, now I know why, I've got mine set to OFF

Wow, I really don't get that, I'm the admin on my system and I can install stuff for days without the UAC popping up.

Oh, now I know why, I've got mine set to OFF

You should look at Tannin's post. Running on an admin account with the UAC turned off is a really bad idea.

Have to admit that I'm getting a bit upset that I can't get any resolution to this issue. The problem isn't addressed here, or in the FAQ, or anywhere else online that I can find. I want to use Vortex, but it's been two days now that I've been unable to play FO4 because I don't know if it's safe to install this thing.

Thank you for replying to my issue and for providing this link, following this guide is the closest ive come to getting anywhere with this issue.

Unfortunately nothing has changed, i still dont have any admin account access. It seems i have encountered another windows paradox where i need admin rights to restore admin rights, lol.

The partial good news is that i have been watching 'Gophers' youtube tutorials on how to use vortex and they have been a great help so i can at least still play FO4 confidently using vortex.

(Gophers you tube vortex tutorials.)

The other good news is that my son in law (who built my machine) says he may be able to give me admin rights via booting my system from the windows disc and creating a admin account from there..... or something like that.

Regards

• 6 months later...

This software should not install or even be downloadable at all without a warning that says

"This software requires a special set of custom settings for windows user. it will not function properly without them not all users will be able to use this setting. Vortex is configured to work with UAC enabled systems only. If you are not one of the select few using UAC. Vortex is not intended to be run as administrator. If that's what you want you should use some other software. It is neither the intent or design of this software to enable users who have taken the step to lawfully and rightfully disable their UAC."

Since we are making a religious choice to lynch any users with the right to disable "User Account Control" It really should be made CLEAR to anyone before they download the dixie-cup and take a sip of the poisonous fruit-punch. We don't want any non-UAC believers getting in the way of our faithful ascension into User-account-controlled heaven.

Im not a good christian UAC sheep. So i guess im forbidden from entering Vortex heaven, or at least scowled at with a visitor pass if i do push past the pearly warning gates.

I find it ironic, that a mod-manager designed to help swiftly and uniformly change and edit features and functionality in games users want to go beyond, discriminates against users who want to go beyond and to change and edit features and functionality in their os.

Vortex devs and enthusiasts should be careful about this polarized decision against UAC disabled choices going forward.

Edited by ThumpieBunnyEve

Im not a good christian UAC sheep. So i guess im forbidden from entering Vortex heaven, or at least scowled at with a visitor pass if i do push past the pearly warning gates.

I find it ironic, that a mod-manager designed to help swiftly and uniformly change and edit features and functionality in games users want to go beyond, discriminates against users who want to go beyond and to change and edit features and functionality in their os.

Vortex devs and enthusiasts should be careful about this polarized decision against UAC disabled choices going forward.

Disabling your UAC is a dumb thing to do.

Interesting comments though, pretty dramatic.

And a 7 month old thread necro to boot.

Now, unless you're here for some support....

Well i don't really see any support offered for those with UAC disabled. only reminders that their choice is bad. all the persons who have UAC disabled on this thread are told they shouldn't be running with UserAccountControl disabled. and that's the end of it,

-except- for the few whom have attempted to follow that advice, and in the attempt lost their administrator account for doing so, leaving them with an even more pressing problem.

It seems rather similar to converting to Christianity. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Shame on them for ever taking control into their own hands. ~ And wanting to mod.

Seeing this view upheld here, i uninstalled vortex without ever getting to see if the software -would- run beyond the warning. It says its not designed to, and that there is no support for non-UAC heathens. So i aborted usage before any vortex baptism could commence. Necro or otherwise, this thread and the admin error warning (Which brought me to this thread BTW) has influenced a modern decision.

If the thread is 7 months old, maybe its because less people even care to install and run with a software that only caters to UAC users. ⋆Shrug⋆ Its not the only option out there. Just the only Biased one.

Besides, Zombies have been part of religion since Jesus rose from the dead.