Removing plugins

Ampharosify

I'm having troubles finding a way to remove these plugins. I no longer have these mods on my computer anymore but they remain on my plugin section and creates a lot of confusion when trying to know which needs to be check marked and not.

Are you using the in game data list? NMM or some other manager? It may be different with each.

If you have removed the mods manually, check in your data folder( \Skyrim\data )and see if the esp has been removed or not. If the esp for that mod is there, then it has not been removed. Also, many mods have mesh and texture parts which will not be removed just by deleting the esp - which is one of the reasons for using a mod manager - If a mod is installed using NMM, it remembers all of the files that were installed, and removes all of them with a single click.

If you did not install with a mod manager, it cannot remove everything.

My own way of installing is to always download the mod into a special folder (NOT the NMM folder or the data folder) then use NMM to install from that folder. Since NMM installed, it knows what files were part of that mod and can completely uninstall them. But because the original is outside of NMM's control. I can always use that location to reinstall.

I'm using the NMM to manage my mods. My Skyrim/data was replaced last night with the 2k texture packs so it wouldn't have anything but that new data now. I read that you said the NMM will remove everything with a single click but that never happened with me. I am able to deactivate and delete a mod but not remove. Is this a wording problem I'm reading or is there a way to truly remove it still?

I always download my mods into the typical download folder and then move them to a subfolder labeled as Skyrim and activate them with NMM from there. I did use some of the workshop mods from Steam but a lot of these plugins are from NMM, if not all.

This is a screenshot of my data folder and all my plugins with no mods installed onto it if that helps any if I'm missing some details.

http://i45.tinypic.com/x56nbl.jpg

I'm using the NMM to manage my mods. My Skyrim/data was replaced last night with the 2k texture packs so it wouldn't have anything but that new data now. I read that you said the NMM will remove everything with a single click but that never happened with me. I am able to deactivate and delete a mod but not remove. Is this a wording problem I'm reading or is there a way to truly remove it still?

I always download my mods into the typical download folder and then move them to a subfolder labeled as Skyrim and activate them with NMM from there. I did use some of the workshop mods from Steam but a lot of these plugins are from NMM, if not all.

This is a screenshot of my data folder and all my plugins with no mods installed onto it if that helps any if I'm missing some details.

By installing a mod, your data folder will not be replaced, just merged. That's how windows works. So if you install a new mod, you will still have the original game data in it, along with your previous installed mods.

As I can see of your screenshot, you still have mod files in your data folder, they are not deleted. The only original game files in your data folder are:

Skyrim.esm,

Update.esm/.bsa,

Skyrim - Animations.bsa....down to.....Skyrim - Voices.bsa,

the DLC HighResTexturePack files,

and if you installed the CK, the Scripts\source folder

... sorry forgot the strings folder

All other files or folders are from mods. To delete the mods, just delete their .esp/.esm and, if they have, .bsa files. Some mods come with loose files that are placed in folders/subfolders like textures, meshes or scripts. I think NMM will delete these files automatically when you delete the mod, but in case you have to do it manually and you need to know what files came with the mod, it's the best to look at the mod archive you downloaded from the nexus site.

Edited by Ghaunadaur

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

hey for a future note for us un tech savvy peoples can i ask you tell us how to find the skyrim/data folder to delete files out of it it would be awesome thx!

I'm not at all meaning to be impolite but that you're looking for help finding it, might be an indication that you will not know what's safe to delete, when you do. Be careful.

That said and for my own Windows 7 set-up:

Right click the steam launcher icon that you use to start your game and left click the "open file location" option from the resulting pop-up window. Scroll down through that window and double left-click the "SteamApps" folder icon. From that resulting window, double left-click on the "common" folder icon and you should find your Skyrim\ directory. (This holds all the files and directories you're looking for.) Reft-click that Skyrim folder icon and choose the "send to" option from the pop-up window. Left-click the "send to desktop" option. That should place a convenient short-cut to your Steam\Skyrim directory on your Desktop which will let you open your Skyrim folder from your Desktop without jumping through these hoops.

Again, be careful. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...