How does one recolour skins?

SickofNexus

I'm extremely new to modding in any capacity and I wanted to make a custom skin colour for Skyrim. Trouble is, I don't know how.

So my question is how do you edit a skin texture to change its colour and make it it's own setting in game? I do have Photoshop and the texture files,

I just don't know how to open and edit them in the way I want. If anyone could give me a step by step run down that would be grand.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not 100% sure how skin works on Bethesda games because normal textures use texture_d.dds for the texture and a texture_n.dds for normal map, texture_g.dds for glow maps and texture_n.dds is for environment maps.

Skin is an exception to these general texture naming convention and I'm not really sure how skin works but from what I've seen it looks like a sort of normal map or world space normal map.

My guess would be the skin colors are defined somewhere in the race menu inside creation kit in fact I think they are I did a skin color change years ago and it was either in the actor window or race window

• 3 weeks later...