I'm very new to the modding scene of Fallout 4 (I.E. I've never programmed or modded anything before) And I need help. I have no idea where to start.
I have so many great mod ideas and I can't put them into show because I don't know any programs to use. I don't know how to add in-game custom animations and even worse I can't afford any expensive 800 dollar program or a tutor to teach me coding languages just for a few poorly-made mods that nobody's gonna see

Edited by Windowmaker66

well , if you are looking for tutorials or suggestions for ones from users here , you should probably mention the game (I see the tags for Fallout 4 , but it's best to write this in the actual post , to make sure people aren't missing it)

also , you didn't quite explain what you are asking for

do you wish for suggestions of tutorials? if so , what kind of mods are you interested in trying to make? because different mods require different tools , and you should really start learning a few tools at a time

also you should know that you can create mods for Fallout 4 without spending a dime . everything required for making mods can be done on free programs . so you really need to decide what kind of mods you want to start making , so that people could direct you to specific tutorials on the subject

well , if you are looking for tutorials or suggestions for ones from users here , you should probably mention the game (I see the tags for Fallout 4 , but it's best to write this in the actual post , to make sure people aren't missing it)

also , you didn't quite explain what you are asking for

do you wish for suggestions of tutorials? if so , what kind of mods are you interested in trying to make? because different mods require different tools , and you should really start learning a few tools at a time

also you should know that you can create mods for Fallout 4 without spending a dime . everything required for making mods can be done on free programs . so you really need to decide what kind of mods you want to start making , so that people could direct you to specific tutorials on the subject

Suggestions for tutorials. Mainly Programs but I'm interested in mostly making Companion mods but some of them will have custom clothing.

I'll probably focus on custom outfits because companions should be easy to make simply using the creation kit or something.

well , if you want to make retextures of existing outfits , you will need a program like photoshop

not quite sure which program people usually use , but there are free alternatives out there

you will also need NifSkope to edit the model to take the new textures

if you want to make completely new models , you will also need a 3D modeling program

I think users use Blender , although I recall other programs discussed , though these require a purchase (at least based on a quick search I did)

but hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will see this and add more pointers

as a small side note , you should try looking up tutorials for creating textures or new outfits . these will usually lead you to specific (and hopefully free) programs to use

tan

well , if you want to make retextures of existing outfits , you will need a program like photoshop

not quite sure which program people usually use , but there are free alternatives out there

you will also need NifSkope to edit the model to take the new textures

if you want to make completely new models , you will also need a 3D modeling program

I think users use Blender , although I recall other programs discussed , though these require a purchase (at least based on a quick search I did)

but hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will see this and add more pointers

as a small side note , you should try looking up tutorials for creating textures or new outfits . these will usually lead you to specific (and hopefully free) programs to us

thanks for the help mate.

I think you should start off with Outfit Studio like qwertyzeldar mentioned. Mashups aren't too bad and it'll show you the ropes. Some mashups will require mesh editing which you can do in Blender and you'll get familiar with the exporting, importing, setting up materials, texture paths, file structure, the Creation Kit and its annoyances, etc etc. It's actually how I started off modding.