adding specific resistances like fo1/2? (laser, plasma, exlosive etc)

sjohnson89

to bring nv closer to classics i decided to add specific weapon resistances to armor. started with t51b (encht51barmor)

i toyed with geck but nothing i tried works. tried adding isweaponskilltype and isweaponinlist (using plasma spaz for plasma weapons and laser commander for laser weapons) as conditions, tested with spawning brotherhood paladins. even with astronomical dt/dr increases they took normal damage

any ideas guys?

Edited by sjohnson89

Oooh, no scripting experience? All right, well, as I said, I'm a bit busy, but do what you can to learn a bit about how it works and get back to me with whatever you can't get working. Run through the primers here:

https://geckwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

and you can do a find for 'script' on this page here to see do any of the section headings look relevant to you:

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Getting_started_creating_mods_using_GECK

Here's this page with every function in the game:

https://geckwiki.com/index.php/Complete_List_of_Function_in_Fallout_New_Vegas

Use that wiki instead of the old one that Google brought up. The one from Google is the original Bethesda one and hasn't been touched in ages, whilst this new one is semi-actively maintained and at least has all the JIP LN functions added to it as the plug-in is updated.

Speaking of which, get your GECK running with NVSE and JIP LN or a lot of the stuff I would use won't work.

The new wiki version of the page you found:

https://geckwiki.com/index.php/SetEventHandler

Look at that, look at the Event_Handlers link at the bottom, and look at the NVSE Event Handlers tutorial link at the bottom of the Event_Handlers page.

I highly highly recommend the GECK Power-Up fork here, especially if you're going to ask for help later, as it gives error messages and line numbers:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/41642

I'll be back later.

okay i had an idea about using the perk "hit the deck" as baseline, since it gives an explosive-specific dt bonus. so the plan was adding hidden perks to armor with specific damage resistances. i can make it work with anything i like but since i'm forced to use pre-defined entry points i cant find a way to add damage resistance in addition to damage threshold. what to do? i'm out of ideas

okay i had an idea about using the perk "hit the deck" as baseline, since it gives an explosive-specific dt bonus. so the plan was adding hidden perks to armor with specific damage resistances. i can make it work with anything i like but since i'm forced to use pre-defined entry points i cant find a way to add damage resistance in addition to damage threshold. what to do? i'm out of ideas

There was no Add DT on the entry point list , only minus ?

But should be able to just add type of damage resistance with an Actor Effect. I'm just not sure how well they would work for that ... the inter mechanic workings of damage type translating from the dmg dealt of the weapon. Some I'm sure would work , like flame throwers , but other's will probably have problems.

An easy way is with a perk . And you just add this actor effect(Ability) with a perk.

But that is only for the player ... which you can make it work condition wise different with the player than all the other npc.

I think you have conditions on the Ammo Effect field ?

But easily done in the impact script.

It's just a CIOS command after what ever condition.

But you should try the Effect field of the ammo atleast. It is the easiest way to inject data.

There was no Add DT on the entry point list , only minus ?

But should be able to just add type of damage resistance with an Actor Effect. I'm just not sure how well they would work for that ... the inter mechanic workings of damage type translating from the dmg dealt of the weapon. Some I'm sure would work , like flame throwers , but other's will probably have problems.

An easy way is with a perk . And you just add this actor effect(Ability) with a perk.

But that is only for the player ... which you can make it work condition wise different with the player than all the other npc.

I think you have conditions on the Ammo Effect field ?

But easily done in the impact script.

It's just a CIOS command after what ever condition.

But you should try the Effect field of the ammo atleast. It is the easiest way to inject data.

there was something like modify damage threshold (defender), basically i just used what hit the deck used.

i checked what you said. ammo effect section only has archimedes ammo, i can try impact script but i'm not sure what i have to do. something starting with onhit? we can always use "isinweaponlist" as condition am i wrong?

The "effects" under "Items / Ammo" is not what I was talking about, not sure why there is even a section there called effects. But anyways , anything under "Items / Ammo" in the object tree are the actual ammo objects , not their effects. The effect field I was talking about , was after you open an ammo object and get the window labeled Ammo with its form-ID listed at the top. And the large field labeled "Effects near the bottom , is where you add an Ammo Effect. You right click "new" in that field , and then a small window labeled dialog pops up.

Then the drop down left click the down arrow. But you have to hold left click down to keep the list open , and use the mouse wheel to roll the list up down. And move mouse hovering to highlight one , then when you release left mouse button it will select the one that is highlighted. And looks like you can't put conditions on those though , with the only thing you can do there is just to select from that list of "Ammo Effects" Albeit you can put more than one of those on an ammo object at once. Not sure how many , but I'd say up to 5ish probably.

Now the way you adjust those effects , or make new custom ones , is by opening up the actual Ammo effect object. Which is found under "Game Effects / Ammo Effect" So opening one of those up , or just right click new in the right side of object tree there. There is another drop down to pick the type of effect , which you only have 6 choices. But you can Add , subtract or multiply , with what ever value you want to put in.

So not a lot of choices with that , but like I said , it is the easiest way to input data into an OnHit event.

So for a simple Impact script , which you attach to the Ammo object in that drop down field just above the Effects field. This gives you a list of all scripts that are "Effect" type scripts. Which is the only type of script that can be used here. So here is an example of an armor piercing round effect.

SCN MyArmorPierceAmmoScript ; Script type : Effect

Begin ScriptEffectStart ; who ever is struck with bullet is the implicit reference

If GetEquipped MyPowerArmorList == 1

CIOS MyArmorPierceEffect

endif

End

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And then you set up an ActorEffect ( or actually you previously made one , with it's form-ID at least , so it can be called in the script after "CIOS" which stands for "CastImmediateOnSelf"

Which you can put multiple base effects on one actor effect , and can even put more conditions there. The reason to do that , is this script is a one frame script , like an OnActivate. So it will be less process intensive with all these bullets flying running their own scripts. And the Actor effect can be what determines when it expires and they possibly recover from any detriments imposed , or what ever you want to do.

Even damage overtime , which is done by giving a damage health effect a duration.

Which will take the total magnitude and spread it over the time frame in 1 sec increments I think.

Hope that helps ... but of course different things may require different approaches ... just give those some experimenting , and let me know if you get stuck on something.

Add edit : Oh ya forgot you were wanting a 50% check on armor piercing.

So 2 places to put that ... 1 is in the impact script , or a condition on the Actor Effect / Effect Item. using ...

GetRandomPercent <= 50

run on: Subject

Or in the script look at this wiki page https://geckwiki.com/index.php/GetRandomPercent

Which would make the script just a little more complex ,probably still work , with that single frame block. But I would try the condition on the Actor effect / effect Item ... first.

But keep in mind one effect items conditions do not effect the other , if you have multiple effect items on 1 Actor effect. Which is actually good , because that way you can tailor them more specific. Like for instance you may want a DT reduction always ... but have the extra crit damage only sometimes ... just for example mention.